2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
53 members (anotherscott, brennbaer, 3B43, Craig Hair, claburo, clothearednincompo, 13 invisible), 305 guests, and 476 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Z
zzzuppp Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Hi folks
This is my first post here, and a bit of an unusual one.

I'm looking for suggestions for a (polyphonic/touch sensitive/weighted keys/reasonably priced??) digital/stage piano that can play two (or more) voices simultaneously with the facility to have them play in different keys, (so eg one voice is playing in C, the other transposed to, say, a minor third above).
IE so I can play in two keys at once in real time on one keyboard.

I used to have a Clavinova stage model where this was possible. I have a couple of other stage pianos but they are only able to transpose all the voices together.

If anyone knows of a model where this function is possible, please go ahead and list them.

6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Yamaha CP-73/88, YC-61/73/88

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by CyberGene

I am glad somebody was able to understand the question smile . I was not. It seems like the OP wants DPs with auto accompaniment, where the keyboard guesses the chords from what is being played and add notes on its own. Is that so?

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by zzzuppp
Hi folks
This is my first post here, and a bit of an unusual one.

I'm looking for suggestions for a (polyphonic/touch sensitive/weighted keys/reasonably priced??) digital/stage piano that can play two (or more) voices simultaneously with the facility to have them play in different keys, (so eg one voice is playing in C, the other transposed to, say, a minor third above).

I used to have a Clavinova stage model where this was possible. I have a couple of other stage pianos but they are only able to transpose all the voices together.

If anyone knows of a model where this function is possible, please go ahead and list them.
Most Kawai DPs with dual-mode allow for "octave" shifts between the 2 sounds. I'm not 100% sure but I believe only the MP7/11SE allow for a more fine tuning between the 2 sounds (possibly up to 4 sounds).

A
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
A

Lots of keyboards can do this, i.e. let you layer (or split) two sounds, where one of the sounds is at true pitch and another is shifted some number of semi-tones away. Basically, you need to choose a model that has deeper synthesizer-like editing functions that let you change the pitches of individual sounds. The actual way it is done would vary by model, but assuming you're looking for 88 keys, lower priced options would be Roland Juno DS88, Korg Kross 88, and probably Casio PX-5S.

6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by EVC2017

I am glad somebody was able to understand the question smile . I was not. It seems like the OP wants DPs with auto accompaniment, where the keyboard guesses the chords from what is being played and add notes on its own. Is that so?
I think a split/layer is sought where one part is transposed by a non-octave interval, e.g. a third

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
>> (so eg one voice is playing in C, the other transposed to, say, a minor third above).

Would the multi-zone capabilities of the RD-2000 fit this requirement?

A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G. K. Chesterton
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A

Yamaha only has some popular presets (one of the issues I have with Yamaha DPs).

In Kawai you can make your own preset (very useful if you play oriental music as Yamaha doesn't have many of them).

Kawai MP7SE, Yamaha MOTF XF6, Yamaha WX5, Yamaha Pacifica 112v
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
@Abdol, do you confirm on an MP7SE you can set different tuning for 2 layered sounds (not just in octave shifts)?

A
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by mmathew
Would the multi-zone capabilities of the RD-2000 fit this requirement?
Yes, the RD-2000 can do it.

I don't think the mentioned Yamaha CP-73/88 or YC-61/73/88 can do it, though.

E
EPW Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
I never looked into doing that with my PX5s. I'm at work now and will have to have a look when I get home. Never had a need to do that on the keyboard. I usually do it on the software side myself.

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by anotherscott
I don't think the mentioned Yamaha CP-73/88 or YC-61/73/88 can do it, though.

Here’s what I found in the manual:

[Linked Image]

AFAIK a zone can be either internal or external, so it will be OK

6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Actually I may be messing it up with the MODX, because on second read the CP/YC instruments support these zones for external MIDI only…

OTOH, the MODX supports both internal and external.

A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by magicpiano
@Abdol, do you confirm on an MP7SE you can set different tuning for 2 layered sounds (not just in octave shifts)?

I’m travelling at the moment but will check it out when I get back home. If MP11 has it 7 will most likely has it too.

Kawai MP7SE, Yamaha MOTF XF6, Yamaha WX5, Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Z
zzzuppp Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Thanks for all the replies so far. For those having trouble figuring out what my question is (which I can understand, it's a pretty unusual request), I could simplify by quoting one line from my original post, namely 'so I can play in two keys at once in real time on one keyboard.'

IE I'm playing and I can hear two distinct notes for each note I play, let's say G and B; I play the next semitone up and I hear Ab and C (etc). It doesn't matter what the timbres are, eg piano and organ, trumpet and violin, whatever.
On my old Clav. I could have two preset 'tones' (eg Piano/Elec. Pf) playing together and transpose one of those so whatever I played was bitonal.

Cybergene's post above 'I think a split/layer is sought where one part is transposed by a non-octave interval, e.g. a third' is on the right lines.
Any keyboard (pref. stage piano with good sounds) that can do such a thing (with a pretty simple way to achieve it) is worth consideration.

A
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
A
Any keyboard (pref. stage piano with good sounds) that can do such a thing (with a pretty simple way to achieve it) is worth consideration.
Ah, "simplicity" is a new consideration. ;-)

Anything else? Budget? Travel weight? You mentioned that your current stage pianos can't do it... out of curiousity, what are they?

Z
zzzuppp Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
By 'simplicity' I mean pressing as few buttons as possible to get bitonality!

Budget - if I can find something that does it straightforwardly I'll look for a S/H model first: and I don't really want anything that includes a million extra bells and whistles (rhythms, dog barks, sirens, choppers, you get the idea)

Travel weight - this is for a home studio so not really relevant

I have a Yamaha P-255 and Roland FP-60

Last edited by zzzuppp; 05/08/21 06:54 PM.
A
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
A
By 'simplicity' I mean pressing as few buttons as possible to get bitonality!
In general, it will take a number of steps to create the patches that have these "dual key" attributes you want... but once you create them, you will be able to recall them easily. This applies to everything discussed so far... Roland Juno DS and RD2000, Korg Kross, Casio PX-5S (need to double-check that that can do it), Yamaha MODX, as well as all the others that come to mind... Yamaha Montage; Korg Krome, Kronos, Nautilus; Roland FA, Fantom; Kurzweil PC4, Forte. In used models, any of the earlier wokstations from these companies should be able to do it as well, e.g. Yamaha MOX, MOXF, and any Motif; any Kurzweil in the PC3 series; Korg M3, M50, the earlier Kross. etc. Along with the PX-5S, the Casio PX-560 should be able to do it to.

I don't really want anything that includes a million extra bells and whistles
Unfortunately, you'll pretty much get them. This is an uncommon need, and the boards I've mentioned can do it, essentially, because they can do practically anything. ;-)

Different boards will do it different ways, but most often, the basic concept will be that you layer two sounds, editing the pitch parameter of the second sound for whatever semitone interval away you want, then save that combination of two sounds in a user location for future instant recall.

Can you connect the piano to a laptop or ipad running a plugin that does midi transposing and route the midi right back into the same piano? If necessary with a basic split so you get different voices?

Roland FP30, VILabs etc, adult beginner. Get your personal pianist emojis: Emoji Me App
Z
zzzuppp Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Originally Posted by MarkOfJohnson
Can you connect the piano to a laptop or ipad running a plugin that does midi transposing and route the midi right back into the same piano? If necessary with a basic split so you get different voices?

Success! Thanks MarkOfJohnson, for my purposes that's the best solution yet, and saves me investing in another keyboard.

I DLed a little app called MIDI Patchbay, connected my P-255 with a USB midihub to my (old) Macbook with Logic running, tweaked the transpose slider in MIDI Patchbay, and I have bitonality coming out of the P-255's speakers!
Only one (not immediately major) problem - MIDI Patchbay is an old (2008) app and doesn't work in my newer Macbook. I shall hunt around for something similar that will work with post OS Catalina Macs. Anyone know of such a thing?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommend me a stand for my Kawai ES920
by Jojovan - 06/24/21 08:42 AM
pianoteq keystroke sound control
by ronlefebvre - 06/23/21 10:16 PM
Bachendorff Piano
by trr04002 - 06/23/21 09:56 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,678
Posts3,106,801
Members101,892
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission