2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
60 members (AlphaBravoCharlie, Anglagard44, Alex McG, brdwyguy, astrotoy, 15 invisible), 736 guests, and 495 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3114690 05/07/21 10:24 AM
M
OP Offline
M
I have a funny tale to tell.

When I was 19, I got a gig. I was so excited because I mainly played recitals at the time... and not paid gigs.

It was for a bed and breakfast place in Berkeley Springs, WV. So here was the agreement: I would play Schubert 894 and 960 along with a few encores... an evening of Schubert. And the payment was 200 dollars.

So I brought it my gear, got set up, chatted a bit with the crowd, then played a concert... I felt I played really well. Afterward I chatted a bit, then tore down and loaded my gear back into my car. I went back in on cloud 9, excited that I played well and was about to receive payment. I went to the owner of the establishment, and he said to me "We cannot pay you. But Berkeley Springs is renowned or its healing and holy water that comes from it's natural springs. Instead of money, we would like to pay you with some healing water. Is that okay?"

There was nothing I could do. I didn't necessarily storm out, but I said "No, I dont need any healing water", and left. The ride home wasn't quite as ecstatic as I imagined it would be.

haha

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Is this for real? A contract is a contract. I appreciate you laughing it out now, but I am curious to know what the owner was thinking when he proposed the 'alternate form of payment'...

A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G. K. Chesterton
M
OP Offline
M
Yeah totally. The favorite Schubert sonata thread reminded me of it. I was 19 at the time, and I would have handled it completely differently now! It was pretty stupid, and it took me a good long while to laugh about it... now I find it one of my best gig stories.

M
OP Offline
M
And now that I think about it, I dont believe there was a contract involved. Just a verbal agreement

B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by MinscAndBoo
And now that I think about it, I dont believe there was a contract involved. Just a verbal agreement
These days, you'd be informed in writing, e.g. by email. Usually.

I never charge for my 'gigs' (which I do monthly) because I just want to spread the Word (the word about classical music, that is) but I once did an impromptu Christmas gig in the same venue, when I was contacted frantically less than 8 hours before the concert, and asked to accompany the singing of the choir (which was the audience), because their regular accompanist had fallen ill.

Of course I agreed, even though I was told I'd be playing what the audience wanted to sing, which assuredly wasn't Weihnachts-Oratorium or Messiah, not even Cantique de Noël. No, it was going to be mainly pop songs linked to Christmas, plus a few carols. It turned out that most of those songs only had very tenuous connection to the festive ('religious') season and pretty much all of them were unknown to me. My sight-reading and improvising skills were sorely tested, and some of my latter (based on lead sheets or guitar chords in the songbooks I was given on arrival) raised more than a few eyebrows. (Actually, they were probably downright hilarious to pop aficionados who knew the songs). Well, OK, they sounded more like Chopin than Cher (is that the right spelling?), but hey, I'm a classical pianist, so what could they expect? grin

They didn't offer any 'reward' for my trouble in the email, not even a glass of holy water, but after the concert (during which everyone had a great time, partly because they heard stuff from the accompanist they'd never heard before and probably never will again), the grateful organizers took me into another room and told me to eat as much as I liked from the offerings on the tables: lots of homemade Christmas cakes, mince pies, cookies, chocolate etc. My kind of payment thumb (I have a very sweet tooth, but I still have all my teeth). And before I left, completely stuffed, they pressed into my arms two huge bottles of vintage champagne as well as a big bagful of various Christmas treats to keep my sugar levels up until the New Year. It was a profitable evening for me.

But no mention of whether the champagne had been blessed........ cry (luckily, I'm a teetotaller.)

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
I’ve never been to the US and I’m just an amateur and I know it’s a rich country but still, isn’t $200 a bit too much to pay for some classical music in a B&B?

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
B
BDB Offline
B
There was a talk recently at a club that I belong to given by a performer. I asked him about how he handled the business aspect (because I promote that at the university where I work), and he said that the defining moment was when he realized that you were asked to perform because they want you to perform, and that you should not look at it as an opportunity to advance your career. Now he has a good lawyer to make sure that everything is on the up and up.

Semipro Tech
F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
$200 a bit too much to pay for some classical music in a B&B?

If that was the deal then that was the deal and the performer should have been paid the amount agreed to. Whether it was "a bit too much" or not is not particularly relevant.

Several years ago I got paid $5000 for not quite two days of not-very-hard work setting up a computer network. I didn't want to do the job at all. I didn't find it particularly interesting and I had some other things that I would rather be doing, so when the guy who wanted it done asked me how much I would charge to do it for him I said, "$5000." To my surprise, he said, "Can you do it next week?"

Well... ok. Since I had made the offer I did the job for him and he gave me a cheque for $5000. I came out $5000 ahead and he was satisifed with the work done so we both ended up happy. And yes, $5000 was indeed "a bit much" for two days of work but that was the price that we agreed on and the amount that he paid.

If you're a zombie and you know it, bite your friend!
We got both kinds of music: Country and Western!
Casio Celviano AP-650
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MinscAndBoo

In many US states, a verbal contract is a legal contract. It just may be more difficult to enforce if one of the parties says ‘we didn’t agree to that,’

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Has anyone been waiting more than six months on their piano?
by InspiredByKawai - 06/15/21 02:44 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,531
Posts3,103,926
Members101,822
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission