2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, clothearednincompo, bcalvanese, booms, 10 invisible), 1,965 guests, and 276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by mmathew
Better materials do make a difference in the audio output. Better materials literally every inch of the audio chain do make the audio better. Consequently, the price goes up, and I can accept that.

Forget $1000 USB cables for a minute. There is a post somewhere in the mazes of the audiophiles forums that talks about a specific type of weight block (I forget the technical term), that is placed on top of a high-end CD player. The weight block reduces the vibrations introduced by normal operation of the CD player, to negligible levels or zero. And the science says that the audio is cleaner by that much. I remember the price of that block to be well over $1K US.

I love the passion and science that's in play in audiophilia.

You realize that CDs deal with digital information and use error correction, correct? I sincerely hope you're being somewhat facetious in your writing.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Dave Horne
Originally Posted by mmathew
Better materials do make a difference in the audio output. Better materials literally every inch of the audio chain do make the audio better. Consequently, the price goes up, and I can accept that.

Forget $1000 USB cables for a minute. There is a post somewhere in the mazes of the audiophiles forums that talks about a specific type of weight block (I forget the technical term), that is placed on top of a high-end CD player. The weight block reduces the vibrations introduced by normal operation of the CD player, to negligible levels or zero. And the science says that the audio is cleaner by that much. I remember the price of that block to be well over $1K US.

I love the passion and science that's in play in audiophilia.

You realize that CDs deal with digital information and use error correction, correct? I sincerely hope you're being somewhat facetious in your writing.

I am not an audiophile - far from it. I was simply summarizing what I read on that audiophile room. A high end CD player (marantz or technics - I don't remember) - with a solid block on top to remove vibrations. They said that CD produces 1.4 mbps quality and the connected headphones translate that quality truly.

As you can infer from my noob description of what is a very technical matter - I don't know much about audiophilia. I do own a lot of classical music CDs, and simply play them on my Sony blu-ray player and listen to them on beyerdynamic headphones - that's all I need.

A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G. K. Chesterton
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I hope they chose the right material for that block.

The more porous the stone the better it is at eliminating unharmonious delta-wave modulation.
If it lacks the proper porosity that could induce excessive sub-space interference.

So ... always be cautious before buying such things!

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
This all sounds rather wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey. And what if we reversed the polarity of the neutron flow? ...

wink

Enthusiastic but mediocre amateur.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by EssBrace
As far as cables (especially cables for digital data) are concerned I pretty much agree with you. But I don't think it's stupidity on the part of people who do spend big on such things. They hear a difference. Or they think they do. And that's all that matters. My Dad is into it. I always say to him he wouldn't tell any difference in a controlled blind test. But ultimately he thinks he hears a difference. Which makes him happy. I don't think we should underestimate the effects of psycho-acoustic phenomena. Thinking you hear something can be as good as hearing something in certain circumstances. Like a placebo effect in clinical trials. This is really powerful stuff; the power of the mind over physical aspects.
Funny, because I see it exactly the same way. Well, it took me some time but I came to the same realization and is why I stopped being annoyed too much with those guys. I accept that even though they may be hearing things only in their imagination, it's a valid thing, it's a psychoacoustic phenomenon and so be it. I guess I still have my own rational resistance coming up from time to time but out of respect of those guys, I vent it here and not in the audiophile forum. Which is silly, because it's disrespectful towards the audiophiles here... For which I apologize. After all, in this forum we're not much different and I've been guilty myself, obsessed with escapement, real actions, half-pedaling timings and whatnot. There's a saying here: every lunatic has his own act 😀

All audiophiles (or, we could just call them people) are trying to do is get closer to the music; to hear it better. To hear it sound as good as it can within the limitations of the original recording. Because that's what gives them pleasure. Given what some people spend their money on, or what their interests are that might be destructive and/or negative (hunting or killing living things for pleasure for example), I just can't understand the irrational unpleasantness that is directed at them from some quarters.
Agree. Good counter-example BTW, since I really despise hunting and hunters and with that in mind I realize I'm sometimes way too harsh towards audiophiles when only thing they do is spend their money in a harmless way for something they love. If I had to choose, I would replace all hunters in the world with audiophiles without a blink!

Last edited by CyberGene; 05/06/21 02:30 AM.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
I have a friend who is just like that sometimes -- he has had some really serious health problems and recently had a stroke... But he still... keeps... listening!!! I admire his love for good music. But what he loved the most was sitting down and hear me play a piece or two. Sadly he is in my home country of China while I'm currently studying abroad in the US. I miss him... He taught me what good and enjoyable sound should sound like, and though I don't have a system as detailed as his, I enjoy it when I play my piano VSTs, or when I put on a CD rip to listen to. I've learned to both make music, and to enjoy it, thanks to this audiophile friend. Now I consider myself an audiophile too.
Note: I just have a pair of powered speakers hooked up to an audio interface.
Thanks for sharing this story!!!

Last edited by David Lai; 05/06/21 05:57 PM.
I would say true audiophiles -as far as pianists are concerned- lived centuries ago, with their ultimate fidelity acoustic instruments. What we call audiophile (digital) pianists today, are actually trying to minimize the loss in trading sound quality for comfort.

Last edited by meghdad; 05/07/21 06:00 AM.

Search the web privately with DuckDuckGo .
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
psycho-acoustic phenomena

Hope you don't mind correcting terminology here. "Psychoacoustics" has nothing to do with imaginary sounds per se, but it refers to the field of scientific study of the perception of acoustic phenomena (sound). Basically it is the study of hearing, especially of 'lower level' acoustic features, things like frequency, amplitude, location.

Hearing something that has no acoustic basis because you paid $1000 for a cable would be a valid topic to study, but psychoacoustics is not limited to that.

Hearing something that has no acoustic basis happens all the time, usually because the brain incorporates information from other senses and memory. A famous example is the McGurk effect (there are nice Youtube videos on this). It is difficult (impossible?) just to perceive sound in isolation. The brain always incorporates the context from other senses and prior knowledge.

Last edited by pianogabe; 05/07/21 07:13 AM. Reason: typo
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission