2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
67 members (accordeur, ambrozy, BlakeOR, anotherscott, bluebilly, Bach_ingMaddie, agoode, A. Lucato, 11 invisible), 1,092 guests, and 521 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3113662 05/04/21 06:09 PM
K
KevinM Online Content OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
K
I have schirmer’s edition of Album for the young. Melody is a nice simple piece. This edition I think has fingering choices that don’t seem to be the simplest way to play a piece but more about making the student learn particular skills, so I am trying to stick to following the fingering.

In bar 8 there is a fingering choice that has me stumped for over a week now that I can’t get past. In the right there is a g5 followed by an f5 and a4 played together, with the f5 held.

The suggested fingering is to play g4 with your fourth finger, and then play the f5 with the fifth finger and a4 with the thumb.

This pattern doesn’t seem all that unusual, and being able to play it legato is expected, I just can’t seem to get the pivot around the fourth finger to make it work.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
T
T
I sat down to look at this bar because I was curious. Indeed, the indicated fingering is weird. I wonder what other more experienced pianists will say, but here's what I'd do:

play the G with finger 5, play the F of the F+A chord with finger 4, then finger switch (with the key still pressed down) from 4 to 5 so that playing the C with finger 3 and B with finger 2 is easier.

Talão

Yamaha U3 and P125
Playing since July 2019
My piano journey
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Talão
I sat down to look at this bar because I was curious. Indeed, the indicated fingering is weird. I wonder what other more experienced pianists will say, but here's what I'd do:

play the G with finger 5, play the F of the F+A chord with finger 4, then finger switch (with the key still pressed down) from 4 to 5 so that playing the C with finger 3 and B with finger 2 is easier.

I would also do the 4-5 finger substitution on the F

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Kevin writes:

In bar 8 there is a fingering choice that has me stumped for over a week now that I can’t get past. In the right there is a g5 followed by an f5 and a4 played together, with the f5 held.

Measures 7, 8, and 9 of Melody:

[Linked Image]

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I find it easy enough to play the chord with 4+1 without any finger substitutions, but I have large hands.

The pattern of 4 followed by 5 going down is more frequent when 4 is on a black note and you should definitely practice it. A good exercise is to do chromatic scales with fingers 3-4-5 only.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
“A nice, simple piece”.

I remember thinking that about Foreign Lands and People. There is no such thing as a nice, simple Schumann piece. 😂😂😂

Lisa

Playing RCM 7-8 repertoire
Cunningham Studio Grand & Yamaha CLP645

"I tell my piano the things I used to tell you." - Frederic Chopin
K
KevinM Online Content OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by Qazsedcft
I find it easy enough to play the chord with 4+1 without any finger substitutions, but I have large hands.

The pattern of 4 followed by 5 going down is more frequent when 4 is on a black note and you should definitely practice it. A good exercise is to do chromatic scales with fingers 3-4-5 only.

That's a good exercise, manageable but I can't yet do it smoothly and/or quickly. Whereas I find the suggested fingering for the above just impossible to play. No doubt others will not find it so hard.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Don't worry about it here. I would suggest the following fingering: starting with 4 on the A in bar 7, then 1 on the E, then 2 on D, 5 on G, and then 1+4 on the A+F, then 2-1 while holding that F, and end on D with 3. That sets you up for playing the third with 2+4 and the you can repeat the same pattern after that.

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by KevinM

The suggested fingering is to play g4 with your fourth finger, and then play the f5 with the fifth finger and a4 with the thumb.

The more you play, the more you will find that fingerings are only SUGGESTED fingerings.

You disregard them if you can find something that works better for you.

For me .... what works is ..... The first 4 eighth notes (d,f,e,g) are played with 1,4,3,5 .... next ... the f+a is played with 1+4 ... then 2,1,3.

Simple ... for me.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, Pianoteq, FocusRite Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface, Yamaha MG06 Mixer
KRK 5" Studio Monitors or Edifier R1850DB Bookshelf speakers or SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
K
KevinM Online Content OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
K
... This edition I think has fingering choices that don’t seem to be the simplest way to play a piece but more about making the student learn particular skills, so I am trying to stick to following the fingering.

The quote above is the bit I think people are missing. Looking at the suggested fingering in this edition of the Schirmer series I'm getting the impression it isn't about showing the simplest way to play the piece on the page, but is instead trying to get you used to playing smoothly while dealing with some awkward movements of the fingers and hand. So I've chosen to try to keep to their suggested fingerings for that reason. This particular one however might just be one I have to accept I can't do.

I was therefore hoping someone might have insight into how you might actually be able to play it using the suggested fingers, or is it just the editors having a joke on students.

This kind of pivot is not totally unusual. I just tried a similar action in Mendelssohn 19.6 which I remembered finding very difficult when learning the piece, but now feels quite easy. It is a lot easier than the above because the top note the 4th finger is playing is a "Bb" and the fifth fingers comes down on the "A" relatively easily. Clearly my flexibility has improved.

E
E
To me the fingering makes sense. Start with 5 on the a. Then in the next bar play the 8th notes with 1-3-2-4 (that's the g) and then 1 and 5 for a and f. You move the pinky under through the 4th finger, and then the rest makes perfect sense. While resting on the 4, you rotate the hand and wrist a little to the left, it's not difficult. If you can't do it, practice playing a f# instead of a g with the fourth finger at first. Tomorrow I can make a video if you want to.

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
... This edition I think has fingering choices that don’t seem to be the simplest way to play a piece but more about making the student learn particular skills, so I am trying to stick to following the fingering.

The quote above is the bit I think people are missing. Looking at the suggested fingering in this edition of the Schirmer series I'm getting the impression it isn't about showing the simplest way to play the piece on the page, but is instead trying to get you used to playing smoothly while dealing with some awkward movements of the fingers and hand.

So ... you think that ... the ability to play smoothly with awkward movements of the fingers and hands .... is a useful skill worth spending time practicing.

Well .... good luck with that.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, Pianoteq, FocusRite Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface, Yamaha MG06 Mixer
KRK 5" Studio Monitors or Edifier R1850DB Bookshelf speakers or SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
I personally doubt that this edition has any particular teaching purpose. It is the Bauer edition if i am not mistaken and it is a regular edition, just like Wiener, Barenreiter and others. It does not have any specific teaching character. All the previous editions use a 4.1 fingering. Even the Schirmer Jennifer Linn which is more intended for students is also using that same fingering.

In the Bauer edition, there are several other fingering issues (in that same piece) besides that one which are rather curious and fairly unatural. Though it is quite possible to execute a 4 to 5 descending and it should be practised as it is usefull in some cases, including between 2 white keys, it does not have to be used if another more natural fingering is possible. The fingering should be as easy and natural as possible in order to make things easier and not more difficult.

Executing a perfectly smooth legato on a 4 to 5 on 2 white adjacent keys is very difficult, in particular at higher speed. Usually one ends up with an approximate legato or some sort of compromise which is really unnecessary when a perfectly reasonable alternate solution exists.

But that said, if you want to practice it in that piece, the best way to do it is to start by moving the 5 fifth finger toward the F and execute a quick sliding mouvement and land on the 5th finger. With a very fast move, it will sound as legato while it is actually not the case. The difficulty is to make it sound smooth (assuming no pedal).

Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sidokar
I personally doubt that this edition has any particular teaching purpose. It is the Bauer edition if i am not mistaken and it is a regular edition, just like Wiener, Barenreiter and others. It does not have any specific teaching character....

This. I don't think the fingering suggested in the Schirmer edition is meant to be for instruction purposes, so I wouldn't go out of my way to use it when something better is staring me in the face. As for getting used to the suggested fingering, most any fingering will eventually be do-able (and maybe even feel okay), but that doesn't mean it's good fingering.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

E
E
The fingering makes sense for the rest of the phrase:

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

The quote above is the bit I think people are missing. Looking at the suggested fingering in this edition of the Schirmer series I'm getting the impression it isn't about showing the simplest way to play the piece on the page, but is instead trying to get you used to playing smoothly while dealing with some awkward movements of the fingers and hand. So I've chosen to try to keep to their suggested fingerings for that reason. This particular one however might just be one I have to accept I can't do.
No. That's not a good idea in general unless it's an etude that targets a specific technique. People use all sorts of strange fingerings but how do you know that this fingering is right for you? Everyone has different hands. Sometimes you don't have a choice but that doesn't mean you should practice uncomfortable fingering just for the sake of it. You should always use the most comfortable fingering that achieves the desired musical effect.

K
KevinM Online Content OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by ErfurtBob

... video ...

Wow, you make it look easy like there is no issue with playing 5 under 4 at all. I imagine being able to do that is helpful for playing certain pieces.

B
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by ErfurtBob

... video ...

Wow, you make it look easy like there is no issue with playing 5 under 4 at all. I imagine being able to do that is helpful for playing certain pieces.

I recall when learning Foreign Lands that I used 5 under 4 in a couple of places. I'd have to go back to the sheet music now, as it was written in like that.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bSharp(C)yclist
I recall when learning Foreign Lands that I used 5 under 4 in a couple of places. I'd have to go back to the sheet music now, as it was written in like that.
Measures 13 and 14 are pretty hairy, LOL.

Lisa

Playing RCM 7-8 repertoire
Cunningham Studio Grand & Yamaha CLP645

"I tell my piano the things I used to tell you." - Frederic Chopin

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Distance of Grand Piano from wall
by Damien PG - 06/19/21 11:20 AM
Insomniac pianists
by Emery Wang - 06/19/21 10:56 AM
First digital piano - F-701 vs P515
by Sebeto - 06/19/21 09:52 AM
Why do great concert halls buy new?
by Ppianissimo - 06/19/21 09:35 AM
Kawai MP11SE successor thoughts
by Quatschmacher - 06/19/21 09:35 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,603
Posts3,105,153
Members101,857
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission