2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, danno858, 9 invisible), 1,245 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 97 of 101 1 2 95 96 97 98 99 100 101
Very nice play, Zoe!

I played 3 and 4 from Faber book. but I have the older version of the book. Your version sounds more interesting to me thumb

I'm planning to get back to my Ragtime&Marches book after played some songs outside Faber (most recent recordings: 1 and 2) just to test my skill level.

Faber Lesson Book 4/Beyer Op.101/Czerny Op. 599

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭
Self-studied Alfred Adult AIO Level 1; Faber Accelerated Lesson Book 2; Faber 3A/B
My Recordings
Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
Originally Posted by Emily2Lame
Wow, Zoe! Great job!! The Hava Nagila is currently giving me a run for my money, I've been playing it all week and it's no where near yours! I'm pretty jealous how easy you made it sound!

Keep up the good work!

Hi Emily Lame, actually Hava Nagila gave me a run for my money too and I worked on it over a few weeks probably! I think partly because I kept hearing it how I've heard in movies, etc. And maybe from having learned an easier/different version many years ago. I nust have subconsciously been remembering that somehow and it was messing me up. Also I would have liked to play it faster but for now this will do as I wanted to move on. (Again the faster thing may be from movies, etc.)

Good luck with yours. Give it time. It eventually came together for me. Good luck!

Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
Originally Posted by Wish4 Thing
Very nice play, Zoe!

I played 3 and 4 from Faber book. but I have the older version of the book. Your version sounds more interesting to me thumb

I'm planning to get back to my Ragtime&Marches book after played some songs outside Faber (most recent recordings: 1 and 2) just to test my skill level.

Thanks Wish4Thing. I Listened to your most recent recordings and yours were also very nicely done! What books were you playing out of? I got a ton of new music a couple of months ago and it's slowed my pace through Fabers (plus Hava Nagila) slowed me down as it took awhile to get it to this state). I am still going through Fabers adult book and hope to get back to the literature book soon.

Thanks for listening, Zoe! I've been talking to some piano friends in China. Most of them are learning improvisation which I think is very cool, they don't need music sheets to play songs... The songs I shared above are some popular tunes among them. I got the music sheets from internet.

Now I'm debating between continuing with Faber Level 4&5 or learning some more chords theory and improvisation outside Faber series... Either way I think I'll complete the Faber FunTime Ragtime&Marches which is my last book at level 3. and then decide what to do next...

I do have some other friends telling me I made some improvement in my playing by completing Faber 3A and 3B. and this is the reason I would like to continue with Faber to improve more.

I really enjoy listening to your recordings, please keep them coming!

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭
Self-studied Alfred Adult AIO Level 1; Faber Accelerated Lesson Book 2; Faber 3A/B
My Recordings
Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
Hi Wish4 Thing, Thank you so much for your kind words. I don't improvise either though I really wish I could. I need my music to play. If you go to My Recordings link you will see a folder called Russian School of Music. I heard about this book in the 40 Pieces a Year Challenge and found a German copy of Book 1 a couple of months ago at my local music store. It has 164 pieces (most of them very short) and some 1/2 a page to 1 page long. Not sure if you are into classical music or not, but I believe you would be able to play many of these. Each one has it's own little challenge so I'm adding it to my books I am working on. I do plan to go back to the Faber Literature book shortly as I've missed playing from there too. Ahh so much music, so little time!

Thank you so much, Zoe! I couldn't get to your Russian School of Music folder. Your link is a generic link that points me to my own drive, not a sharable link.

Yes, I like short pieces... the current piece I'm working on (The Easy Winners) has 4 pages... it will take some time for me to get it down...

Have a good day!

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭
My Recordings
K
K
Thank you so much, Zoe! I couldn't get to your Russian School of Music folder. Your link is a generic link that points me to my own drive, not a sharable link.

I tried as well yesterday and wondered how she got all of my files! laugh

02JAN2021: Alesis Recital Pro
22FEB2021: Roland LX705
Using flowkey, Alfred's All-in-1 L1, Faber & Sight-Reading Books
Started: JAN2021 - No Prior background in Music or Piano
KJP_65 #3102731 04/06/21 10:49 AM
@KJP_65 laugh

OK, I got the books from somewhere else... 2 of them!

PM me if you are interested...

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭
My Recordings
KJP_65 #3103090 04/07/21 01:04 AM
Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
Originally Posted by KJP_65

I tried as well yesterday and wondered how she got all of my files! laugh

Hi sorry about that I need to double check how to share the folder, I linked the 3 pieces I was referring to below. Hopefully this works if you want to take a listen.

1. C Major Etude (Russian School of Music - Bk1, #70)
2. French Song (Russian School of Music - Bk1, #75)
3. Children's Songs (Russian School of Music - Bk1, #79)

- Zoe

very entertaining, thanks for sharing, Zoe!

These little pieces reminds me of Beyer and Czerny etude books... I have a couple of friends who are working through these books...

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭
My Recordings
Originally Posted by ZoeCalgary
Been away for awhile but the playing continues. I just recorded these today from Adult Faber Book 2:

Also continuing with other recordings as well. Feedback is always welcome.

That's great Zoe. You play with a quiet confidence that many desire, I noticed it especially on Silver Birch.

Very nice play, Zoe!

IS that you playing #2? I'm not sure of the origin of that piece, even with a brief right click search.

Last edited by tbonesays; 04/10/21 03:35 AM.

"Motivation is simple, you eliminate anyone who isn't motivated." - Lou Holtz.
Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
Originally Posted by tbonesays
Been away for awhile but the playing continues. I just recorded these today from Adult Faber Book 2:

Also continuing with other recordings as well. Feedback is always welcome.

That's great Zoe. You play with a quiet confidence that many desire, I noticed it especially on Silver Birch.

Very nice play, Zoe!

IS that you playing #2? I'm not sure of the origin of that piece, even with a brief right click search.

Hi tbonesays, thanks for the nice complement. Often I feel I struggle more with the slower pieces so this was a great confidence boost for me!.

Yes I did play number #2. It's proper title should be Broken Chord Etude. It is on page 99 of the Faber Adult All In One Book 2. (Unit 8).

Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
Hi, continuing to play through the Faber Literature Book 1 and today I added the following 3 pieces:

Little Dance
Morning
Quadrille

Hope you enjoy. Feedback is always welcome. smile

- Zoe

M
M
Hi, continuing to play through the Faber Literature Book 1 and today I added the following 3 pieces:

Little Dance
Morning
Quadrille

- Zoe

Well played! Thanks for posting these and returning to the Literature book. Your recordings are an inspiration for an early beginner like me. Funny that you earlier mentioned that you struggle with dynamics. When I first listened to some of your recordings one of my first thoughts was how good your dynamics are -- on the other hand, I play everything at Volume 11 with my concrete hands.

I recently bought the Elementary level for this series to supplement my Adult AIO book. Very enjoyable so far, and my teacher gave it a big thumbs up. She also said that she'll introduce Hanon soon and the four-letter word (Bach) when the time is right. At least she specified the Anna Magdalena Notebook, so my blood pressure decreased somewhat.

Mikex3 #3104732 04/11/21 12:37 AM
Originally Posted by tbonesays

Yes it was me. The composer of the piece is a computer/networking engineer... he wrote a series of music under the title "Melody of the Night", among which #5 is the most popular one. So this piece is called Meloday of the Night #5.

Originally Posted by Mikex3

Little Dance
Morning
Quadrille

- Zoe

Your recordings are an inspiration for an early beginner like me. Funny that you earlier mentioned that you struggle with dynamics. When I first listened to some of your recordings one of my first thoughts was how good your dynamics are

Totally agree with Mike, I like Zoe's dynamics as well!

Originally Posted by Mikex3
I recently bought the Elementary level for this series to supplement my Adult AIO book. Very enjoyable so far, and my teacher gave it a big thumbs up. She also said that she'll introduce Hanon soon and the four-letter word (Bach) when the time is right. At least she specified the Anna Magdalena Notebook

Thanks for sharing! looking forward to hearing more of your progress or some of your recordings too!

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭
My Recordings
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I had to dig this thread up but happy to see everyone moving along. I’ve been off and kinda back on again but having a lot of trouble with the LH. I bought a little Yamaha Piaggero in hopes of some inspiration and I’ve hacked a little on some lessons. Never give up.

Alesis Coda Pro
PianoVideoLessons.com Currently unit 4
Faber All In One -Level 2
Grateful Dead fan since 1987
dobro #3113039 05/02/21 10:47 PM
Hi Dobro, good to hear back from you! and congratulations on the new instrument!

Yes, I'm moving slowly through the books but still moving! grin

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭
My Recordings
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
[quote=Wish4 Thing]Hi Dobro, good to hear back from you! and congratulations on the new instrument!

Yes, I'm moving slowly through the books but still moving! grin[/quote

I’ve dropped in a few times to keep up with what you all had going on, kinda like looking in from a window I guess. I’ve had zigs and zags all thru my music life.

Alesis Coda Pro
PianoVideoLessons.com Currently unit 4
Faber All In One -Level 2
Grateful Dead fan since 1987
P
P
Hello

I've been stalking this thread for a while. I've been self-teaching myself piano for about 6 months total. Finally started taking it seriously about a month ago when I invested in a decent digital piano and put away my ancient keyboard - what a change!

I'm working through the Adult Piano Adventures AIO Book 1, currently on chapter 14. I've got the AIO Book 2 and also the Level 4 and Level 5 books (in the All-in-Two editions which have 4&5 Lesson & Theory in one book, and 4&5 Technique and Performance in another book) to look forward to. I've also got a whole bunch of supplementary stuff targeted at beginners/grade 1/2 players including a scales book and Dozen a Day exercises and some old ABRSM exam pieces.

I'm curious to know where people have landed on doing Level 3B or going straight to Level 4 after AIO Book 2? I've not read this entire thread yet but I have seen some comments on this, but I'm still a bit confused. I know Faber recommend book 3B next, and I have seen people say that they went onto 3A/3B and found it quite different/more challenging than Adult AIO Book 2. But I don't understand why - since Level 3A and 3B share material with AIO Book 2 and pretty much all the same topics??

3A.1 - Keys of C, G and F Major = Book 1.12 C Major, Book 1.15 G Major and Book 2.3 F Major
3A.2 - The seventh (7th) = Book 2.9 - Interval of a seventh (7th)
3A.3 - Time signatures ⅜ and 6/8 - Book 2.11 - ⅜ and 6/8 time signatures
3A.4 - The triplet = Book 2.8 - Theory of minor scales (including triplets)
3A.5 - Ledger lines = Book 2.2 Ledger lines
3A.6 - The chromatic scale
3A.7 - The D major scale = Book 2.14 - D Major
3A.8 - One octave arpeggios = Book 2.15 - One octave arpeggios

3B.1 - Key of A minor= Book 2.8 - Theory of minor scales (including key of A minor)
3B.2 - Key of E minor = Book 2.13 - E Minor
3B.3 - Key of D minor = Book 2.10 - D Minor
3B.4 - The octave
3B.5 - Major and minor triads - Book 2.4 - Major and minor triads
3B.6 - Chord inversions = Book 2.5 - Triad inversions
3B.7 - Sixteenth notes = Book 2.16 - Sixteenth notes

The only things in 3A/3B which don't seem to be specifically covered in the AIO Book 2 are octaves (dealt with in theory in Book 2.1 Music Fundamentals and played at various points) and the chromatic scale (which I understand the concept of anyway, and is only a very small section in level 3B).

I was planning to go straight to Level 4 from Book 2, based on the above. So *for those of you who did AIO Book 2 then Level 3A or 3B - what did you find 3A and 3B added to Book 2, and do you think they're essential?*

(I do actually have the Level 3B performance book because I happened to find it second hand - so was planning on working through that after Book 2 if there are new pieces in there, before moving to Level 4.)

Happy to be redirected if this has already been discussed in detail elsewhere smile

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by PollyPhonic
3B.1 - Key of A minor= Book 2.8 - Theory of minor scales (including key of A minor)

I checked this one for you, and I would say, partly Key of A minor in 3B is repetition, and partly there is new material. For instance, harmonic minor scale and primary chords in A minor. So don't skip 3B.

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
Page 97 of 101 1 2 95 96 97 98 99 100 101

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission