2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
31 members (emenelton, bxrdad1, Chapitrilfo, antune, CyberGene, brdwyguy, danielp11, 8 invisible), 475 guests, and 543 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 274 of 274 1 2 272 273 274
G
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
G
Random update: I've posted here frequently about having an unresolved ground loop issue when using a Mac to power a VST and output the sound back to the NV-10.

After renewing an investigation into this (in this thread here), I found two solutions that work great:

1. Using a Roland UM-ONE mk2 USB to DIN-5 MIDI adapter. I used it in "Comp" mode and installed the Roland FTP driver. Perfect output, no ground loop at all.

2. Using an iDefender 3.0 in the USB-MIDI link. I had tried this before and it wasn't a 100% fix, but I tried it again with my new setup and it seems absolutely fine.

Garritan CFX coming out of the NV-10 speakers sounds pretty incredible. I haven't had a chance to crank it up to "real piano volume" yet but am eager to give it a shot.

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by ˆTomLCˆ
I’m wondering what happened. 🤔

Nothing happened. Literally. The tech determined that he needed some parts and said he would order them. (And after confirming, they didn't order a Yamaha contact strip. Fortunately.)

They sent me an e-mail they got from the distributor. Some of the parts are not in stock there, and the distributor would order them. "Distributor: As usual, the delivery time will be 3-4 months. Kind regards."

Maybe I'm a bit demanding here, but hey... it's 2021 now! When these parts arrive, somewhere in July at the earliest, I have a 9K piano sitting here with a problem for close to half a year. IMHO, the distributor should have enough parts in stock to _build_ a few complete NV-10's if need be.

I assume the "Jackbox" is the box with the connection on the lower left. There's nothing wrong with that, except for a scratch on the plastic. That's the / one of the parts that is not in stock apparently. I've asked if it was possible to not wait for that part and fix at least the more important F4 key separately, but I haven't gotten an answer (yet).

IMHO, Kawai's support network is slow and cumbersome, even taking COVID into account. When I compare this experience to the one I had with Hammond (granted, that was 15 years ago, and Hammond's European headquarters where/are? in the Netherlands), Kawai feels like trying to steer a battleship, where Hammond resembled more of a jet fighter.

Last edited by Falsch; 05/04/21 04:08 AM.

Kawai Novus NV-10 | Pianoteq 7 (Kremsegg 1 & 2, Ruckers Harpsichord, KIVIR)
Intel NUC i3-6100U, 8GB, SSD | iPad Pro 12.9 2018 | forScore
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Falsch, It’s a shame you have to go through this. Did you already request a replacement/refund from the dealer? You have a warranty. Don’t they have to honor it?

Kawai NV10
F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Falsch, It’s a shame you have to go through this. Did you already request a replacement/refund from the dealer? You have a warranty. Don’t they have to honor it?

This is handled under warranty. I haven't asked the dealer for a replacement or a refund. It would be ridiculous to replace the entire piano because of an inaccurately regulated F4 key (and to a much lesser extent, G4 and G5), and a scratch / jagged edge on the jack box.

If I would ask the dealer to replace the piano (assuming he is going to), the waiting time would probably be at least 2-4 months (the projection originally was end of April / beginning of May, not Febuary), and the chance of having a -different- key inaccurately regulated is too large to risk this. It's better to just have this problem fixed somewhere down the line, and then it'll be (hopefully) fixed forever, until I replace the piano. This may be a _very_ long time. The NV-10 could actually be the next-to-last instrument I bought, ever. When I replace this, the dealer may already be retired.

Last edited by Falsch; 05/04/21 10:30 AM.

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
You are a patient man.

Kawai NV10
E
E
You are a patient man.

totally he is, I certainly couldn't hold for more than 2 months tops.

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Three to four months for a distributor to receive parts they've ordered????!!!! Christ, haven't they heard of Fedex?? Totally unacceptable.

Here's a parallel that many will possibly find somewhat spurious...

I wanted two universal joints for a 55 year old Triumph Spitfire. I want ones without grease nipples. A guy on eBay is selling the greasable ones but I want sealed for life. No one has stock of sealed for life UJs for this application. They have stock of cheaper non-genuine versions but I want British made Hardy Spicer universal joints. I messaged the seller on eBay and to my surprise he replied that he would speak to the factory. A month later the factory have already tooled up and made a batch of these joints (only applicable to a range of long obsolete Triumph cars). I'll receive them tomorrow. Twenty quid for the pair.

But a Kawai distributor is saying three to four months for delivery of parts for a current flagship model??!! Utterly ridiculous.

My point being if there is stock anywhere on Mother Earth you should have the parts within a week at most. If there is no stock of these parts at the Factory (which would be unacceptable for a current model) they should be manufactured almost immediately and shipped to your country's distributor. This is just not acceptable support. At the very least your distributor needs a rocket up their arse.

F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
You are a patient man.

Originally Posted by EinLudov
You are a patient man.

totally he is, I certainly couldn't hold for more than 2 months tops.

Thanks... but in this case, I'd call it practical. I'd rather have the piano fixed yesterday instead of in August. If I could have it replaced -tomorrow- with a known-good one, I would. Having it replaced in August, with the chance of this problem (or maybe even more/worse problems) cropping up in a different key, is folly. Then I would have to replace -that- one again, or have it repaired, which would again take 2-4 months.

Therefore, replacing the piano is just a gamble, and I'm too practical (and patient) to gamble. Besides a piano player, I'm also a chess player. If gieven two ways to win a game, one being a spectacular sacrifice with an unclear position that I _probably would win_, and the other being a calm variation that I _will undoubtedly win_, I'll go for the latter.

Good things come to those who wait, so I'm going to have the piano fixed. After the F4 key is fixed the piano is fine. The G4 and G5 could be a tiny bit better, but they are probably well within the margins of what a technician would find acceptable with an acoustic (for anyone who is not a professional concert pianist).

Last edited by Falsch; 05/04/21 11:31 AM.

F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by EssBrace
Three to four months for a distributor to receive parts they've ordered????!!!! Christ, haven't they heard of Fedex?? Totally unacceptable.arse.

It's a long wait... but if Kawai is stubborn enough and only sends a single shipment of NV-5 / NV-10 parts to Europe every 3 months, then nothing can be done about that. What I will do is contact the dealer to see if he can speed this up somehow.

E
E
Originally Posted by Falsch
You are a patient man.
Therefore, replacing the piano is just a gamble, and I'm too practical (and patient) to gamble. Besides a piano player, I'm also a chess player. If gieven two ways to win a game, one being a spectacular sacrifice with an unclear position that I _probably would win_, and the other being a calm variation that I _will undoubtedly win_, I'll go for the latter.

But you're playing the clock too. it never spins the other way. This is why we agree that you're VERY patient.

Is there such a thing as too patient? grin

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I would have agreed with you years ago. But in covid times supply shortages are everywhere ...
Originally Posted by EssBrace
Three to four months for a distributor to receive parts they've ordered????!!!! Christ, haven't they heard of Fedex?? Totally unacceptable.

My point being if there is stock anywhere on Mother Earth you should have the parts within a week at most. If there is no stock of these parts at the Factory (which would be unacceptable for a current model) they should be manufactured almost immediately and shipped to your country's distributor. This is just not acceptable support. At the very least your distributor needs a rocket up their arse.
Maybe the same people who hoarded all the toilet paper last year are now hoarding piano parts? smile

G
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
G
Wondering if anyone here has successfully set "Line in volume" in Sound Settings to a favorite? I have Garritan CFX piped into the NV-10 through Line-in to play through the speakers, and want an easy setting for my kids to disable the VST so that they can hear the native sounds (kind of the opposite of Local Control Off).

Is it possible have Line-In volume saved to a favorite so it changes from -10db to +2db by changing favorites?

Alternatively, is there a way to do what I want a different way? E.g., can some MIDI settings like Channel 1 Play/Mute be used to accomplish this (and can it also be toggled via Favorites)?

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
Page 274 of 274 1 2 272 273 274

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
anyone recognize this damper system?
by chopin_r_us - 05/13/21 04:57 AM
Started a new blog where I document my progress. Thoughts?
by BlizzardPiano - 05/13/21 12:36 AM
Choosing from repertoire for a senior recital?
by chopinliszt27 - 05/12/21 10:54 PM
Garritan Piano- Note stops playing glitch?
by chrono cross - 05/12/21 09:00 PM
ISAAC Hammers
by brdwyguy - 05/12/21 08:56 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,901
Posts3,092,993
Members101,496
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission