2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
40 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,179 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Withindale
Originally Posted by VladK
Piattino Caster Cups serve similar purpose of decoupling but do not cost a fortune.
Yes, you are right, similar but not the same. I believe Piattino use Sorbothane. As I recall Sorbothane claim to absorb about 50% of the energy across the keyboard.

The challenge is to eliminate more than 95% of the energy at a similar cost to the Piattino cups or less

Thank you for the reminder.

No that is not the challenge at all. The challenge is to demonstrate that it makes an improvement in a double blind test.

W
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
W
Mounting such a test would certainly be a challenge.

With all due respect to every member of this forum, why do we have to subject each claim about piano playing to an FDA testing regime?

It's obvious vanilla ice cream laced with prunes in Armagnac will taste different from vanilla ice cream by itself.

When all the pianists who have played pianos with the isolators say they sound very different (I made enquiries) then a pound to a penny others will too.

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
The reason it is necessary is that tests have shown that judgement of sound quality is so heavily influenced by expectation and circumstance that a blind, ideally double blind, test actually is necessary to make absolute claims. I must stress this is zero criticism of anyone's judgement, it is just how our perception system works.

In the past I have indulged in expensive hi-fi and, even knowing the above, I have trusted my ears and bought equipment without any sort of blind test. I can do that confidently knowing that if that new bit of kit sounds better to me and I get more enjoyment from it then it is worth it to me, and it doesn't really matter if the improvement is real or imagined, if the increase in enjoyment is there then it is there. But without a valid test that my subconscious cannot influence I can't claim there actually is an improvement far less one that anyone else can hear.

For anyone who is interested in this I always recommend researching a certain Mr. Peter Belt who shows just how much the power of imagination and suggestion can accomplish.

Last edited by gwing; 05/12/21 09:01 AM.
Based upon the video I am still confused:

The piano on the left has a Steinway Logo on the fall board. Does that make it a Steinway?

The piano on the left if it is a Steinway which model?

What is the brand of the Piano on the Right? (I like it better)

Do the isolators work on all models of Steinways: A-D, M,N,O and uprights?

How do you use isolators on a upright?

Will piano isolators make a mediocre piano sound great?

How specific do isolators react with the room? Carpet floors, wood floors marble floors, lots of windows, no drapes, heavy drapes.

Does Steinway endorse this after market product? Will I lose my Steinway guarantee if I install them?

If I buy the isolators, is there a money back guarantee?

I am not convinced about the sound improvement, but the isolators are definitely worth it for bragging rights.

The hard is what makes it great. If it was easy everyone would do it!
Tom Hanks
W
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
W
@Panama, quick answers:

The piano on the left has a Steinway Logo on the fall board. Does that make it a Steinway? Stephen Hough is a Steinway artist

The piano on the left if it is a Steinway which model? Don't know.

What is the brand of the Piano on the Right? (I like it better) Don't know.

Do the isolators work on all models of Steinways: A-D, M,N,O and uprights? Yes as could other devices that achieve the same result.

How do you use isolators on a upright? Use four.

Will piano isolators make a mediocre piano sound great? Different.

How specific do isolators react with the room? Carpet floors, wood floors marble floors, lots of windows, no drapes, heavy drapes? They don't as they absorb 97%+ of the vibrational energy trnanitted through the legs.

Does Steinway endorse this after market product? Will I lose my Steinway guarantee if I install them? Of course not (unless Steinway ban the use of third party cups and pads).

If I buy the isolators, is there a money back guarantee? No idea, ask Townshend.

Ian Russell
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
The video of Stephen Hough compared piano A with isolators to piano B without isolators. Do I really need to explain why that is not a convincing argument?

The video does not present the argument as well as it might have done.

It shows Stephen Hough's own pianos. He would have known their sound very well. The first few seconds show him comparing the sound of piano A with isolators to the sound of piano A without isolators.

As soon as he plays a few notes he says there is big difference. He continues and says there is a huge difference, an amazing difference.

That"s all we really need to know.

Where in the video is it indicated that these were Mr. Hough's own pianos? I just watched it again, and could not find that.

Reading Piano World with Javascript turned off (no logins, no ads, fast response times). I will receive PMs.
W
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
W
It does not matter whether they are Stephen Hough's pianos. He appeared familiar with both of them and that is sufficient.

Miss Marple, Agatha Christie's sleuth, was given to saying that when you have a solution to a problem do not look for another.

The most likely scenario is that someone suggested he try the isolators and he said bring them round on Monday at noon, or whenever.

Ian Russell
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Miss Marple's reasoning device just as easily could be applied to the hypothesis that Mr. Hough was paid to appear on the video, and the whole thing was staged. Because the line of reasoning can support two contradictory explanations, it sheds no light on the matter.

Reading Piano World with Javascript turned off (no logins, no ads, fast response times). I will receive PMs.
W
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
W
There is nothing in the video to suggest anything was staged, quite the reverse. Why would Mr Hough do such a thing? Miss Marple would not entertain your suggestion for one minute. It is far fetched.

Ian Russell
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
W
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
W
There is nothing in the video to suggest anything was staged, quite the reverse. Why would Mr Hough do such a thing? Miss Marple would not entertain your suggestion for one minute. It is far fetched.

Stephen Hough: 10 facts about the great pianist

Ian Russell
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
I've heard him play live. He somehow managed to produce a sublime performance despite the handicap of not using the piano isolators.

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
I don't think any further discussion is going to change our opinions. This is an interesting development, but I prefer a more conclusive demonstration before jumping on the bandwagon. Also, reducing sound reflections from all sources will help a grand or large upright sound better in a small space, which is where the video was made. In a larger space, the effect may not even be audible.

Audio is very tricky. I have had to use the virtual piano technician feature of my digital piano at times to voice it when the weather changes. How can that be? Room effects and the effect of audio room treatments can vary with humidity.

W
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
W
I am very pleased you enjoyed Stephen Hough's performance. You are right, people need to hear a piano or better recordings before deciding whether they prefer clearer piano sounds to the ones they have enjoyed for 150 years or so.

Ian Russell
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
To be fair regarding my earlier remarks I do think my upright sound a bit clearer now that it is placed on simple wood+neoprene cups. If there is actually any difference at all my room is quite likely to show it up as it is a relatively small room (with decent acoustics though) housing a large and loud upright on a suspended wood floor that likes to work as a soundboard extension if given the chance.

However there are so many other things that could be responsible (if there is a difference and it isn't just my perceptions) as the piano is now raised a bit higher from the floor, it is more level due to the cups evening out some floor irregularities, the piano is in a slightly different position to before the cups as, now moving it around is not so easy, I had to decide on a final location and so it is a little further from the wall and no longer exactly parallel to it.

The important thing though is that I actually like, in fact love, how it sounds :-)

W
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by gwing
To be fair regarding my earlier remarks I do think my upright sounds a bit clearer now that it is placed on simple wood+neoprene cups.

It's good to hear you are more than happy with your piano. Long may it continue.

I think there is a bit of a continuum here with the effects of these cups and isolators. I'll have a go at sorting the wheat from the chaff in this thread in a day or two

Ian Russell
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
W
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
W
To recap, this thread is about the discovery that eliminating reverberations from the legs of a grand piano can have a dramatic effect on its sound.

The main evidence for this comes from Mark Swartzentruber, the concert pianist, who found the same transformation with Bosendorfer, Fazioli, Kawai and Steinway pianos. I posted his recording on a Steinway in another thread. Something is awry with the recording itself, you have turn the volume right down for decent sound.

In short, Mark Swartzentruber says the bass and tenor gained transparency while losing their "muddiness" and random distortions. The treble was brighter with more length of tone. Each note had a clearer tone with richer harmonics. He found it easier to hear what he was playing and to control dynamics with more subtlety.

For an explanation of what is going we have to look at the thread on how the frame and case affect the tone of a piano where Ed Foote made this very helpful comment: "The case not only receives, it also delivers, since the entrainment works both ways. If the board is connected to the case and the case vibrates, the board's vibration will be affected by the case vibration".

When the pianist strikes a key the whole instrument vibrates when the hammer hits the strings. At the risk of oversimplification, the strings drive the soundboard while the rest of the energy goes into the frame and the rim. Thus the rim receives the peak energy of the fundamentals and partials and gives back a wide spectrum of lower level sounds. (Reflection and transmission are both going on at the boundary between soundboard and rim).

The complicating factor is the wave energy leaking from the frame into the legs of a grand piano. In wave theory (which is well developed and proven empirically) the castor is a discontinuity or boundary layer between the leg and the floor. Some of the wave energy reaching that boundary is transmitted to the floor and some of it is reflected back into the piano. When these waves get back to the frame they "fight it out" with the waves in the frame. This battle causes who knows what disturbance and distortions. In accordance with "Foote's law" the rim transmits them into the sound board. The result is a piano sound everyone knows and cherishes, like a rich Burgundian wine:

Originally Posted by Dave Ferris
This a favorite I listen to often.

When you take most of the reflections from the castor boundaries away, with an isolator or something, those disturbances and distortions disappear and you can hear the strings much more clearly.

Where you say are the A and B comparisons, the before and after recordings? The best I can offer is a spectral analysis of C2 major chords played on my Ibach grand (without reflections from the castor boundaries) and my Schiedmayer upright (with reflections from the castor boundaries). Previously I'd say their sounds of the same, with the Schiedmater having the edge overall. Now as you can see they are very different, one with clear cut tones, the other blurred.

These charts came from the Spectroid app I downloaded to my Android phone, ever so easy. Why not try it, or an iPhone equivalent, and see what you find.

[Linked Image]

Ian Russell
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
A
Silver Supporter until Feb 1 2020
Silver Supporter until Feb 1 2020
A
It would be interesting if venues which give a lot of piano recitals start using isolators and see whether pianists and audiences like the sound better. One problem is that typically, the pianos are rolled into place for the performance and then rolled out for storage, often using a piano dolly that the piano sits on more or less permanently.

Boesendorfer 225 (1985)
Yamaha S400E (predecessor to CF4) Disklavier (1992)
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Where you say are the A and B comparisons, the before and after recordings? The best I can offer is a spectral analysis of C2 major chords played on my Ibach grand (without reflections from the castor boundaries) and my Schiedmayer upright (with reflections from the castor boundaries). Previously I'd say their sounds of the same, with the Schiedmater having the edge overall. Now as you can see they are very different, one with clear cut tones, the other blurred.

[Linked Image]

I don't think we can judge much/anything from that as the spectral analyses are from two different (actually very different) pianos. Now if you can do the same with/without castor spectral plots on the same piano that would be interesting. I likely don't have enough experience to predict the difference in perceived sound quality from the spectral plots but if there is as significant difference as your two shots above it should be very clear that *something* is happening to the sound.

W
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
W
They are just plots from two pianos as described. That's all really.

Ian Russell
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
W
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by astrotoy
It would be interesting if venues which give ... piano recitals start using isolators and see whether pianists and audiences like the sound better.

That is what Mark Swartzentruber expects to see post Covid. The first ones are likely to be over here.

Originally Posted by gwing
Now if you can do the same with/without castor spectral plots on the same piano that would be interesting ... if there is as significant difference as your two shots above it should be very clear that *something* is happening to the sound.

Quite right.

For the time being, I can only reiterate there is a significant difference in the sound of the piano with the isolators I lashed up. The Spectroid waterfalls are consistent with his comment that pianos tend to be "muddy" in the bass and tenor, that is until you eliminate reflections from the castor boundaries. To interpret the plots, note the C2 major fundamental frequencies are 65-82-98 Hz.

I will make some before and after recordings for both pianos in due course. I need to change the isolators for the grand to something more permanent. As uprights have no legs I will have to test another kind of isolator. The tricky bit will be installing them as the piano is in a confined space and heavy.

As far as the title of this thread goes there is no hocus pocus.

Ian Russell
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission