2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
63 members (brdwyguy, c++, 8ude, Charles Cohen, brennbaer, Buzz209, 12 invisible), 986 guests, and 485 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
I've had this idea for a long time and have mentioned this here before.

Instead of reading printed music on paper or reading images of printed paper displayed on tablets, it would be great if we could have an image projected onto our eye glasses or have an image appear as if it is in our field of vision.

Any thoughts?

Yamaha AvantGrand N3 | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Dave Horne
Any thoughts?

Microsoft HoloLens: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/hololens

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

Such an idea makes me think of HUDs (Head Up Displays) that are used a lot in the aviation world.

Another thought: Apart from the experimental fun factor, Why? What for?

Cheers,

HZ

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Yep, that looks like something I'd like.

I guess I'll have to wait a few years until it's affordable and smaller. (I saw one price at $3,500.)

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by HZPiano
Hello,

Such an idea makes me think of HUDs (Head Up Displays) that are used a lot in the aviation world.

Another thought: Apart from the experimental fun factor, Why? What for?

Cheers,

HZ

It would make reading music a tad easier. I play a lot of ragtime music and don't feel like memorizing everything just to be able to look at my hands.

With a device that projects an image I could see through, I could do both more easily.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I've been wanting something like that as a replacement for conventional computer displays.

Hololens performance is not adequate, and it's expensive.
I waited for years to see whether Magic Leap would work out, but when finally released it performed poorly and was far too expensive.

We may get our wish someday. But that day isn't today.

V
V
On the other hand, you cannot shift your gaze from the score... It will be always in front of your eyes. I think it is an idea that will create a lot of eye strain.

All these performers can sight read and turn pages on the fly. One way or another, it's perfectly doable using natural human functionality, as has been for centuries. Also I guess overcoming this "issue" can be a fun challenge.

Pianoteq + Korg C1.

I shall be "thankful" for this decent alternative to an upright piano. Hallelujah.
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
I wonder if the necessity of frequently repeated changes of focal distance (back and forth from 1/2 inch to 20+ inches) would strain the users eye muscles to the point of damage?

My guess is that pilot HUDs utilize color, rate of flashing, and other variables as part of the communicative language between pilot and computer so the pilot can receive some critical information instantaneously without having to engage in the slow process of reading. No focal distance shifting necessary. And, consequently, no eye fatigue or damage.

But, I'm guessing here. Does anyone here know?

Last edited by Ralphiano; 05/03/21 10:50 AM.

Ralph

Kawai VPC1
Garritan CFX
Pianist since April, 2015
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
I've used beta gizmos and found them to be great party tricks but irritating after a few minutes. Two friends worked on these types of systems with big tech companies and said results were "disappointing".

There was a lot more excitement around VR and AR say 7 years ago. But the available consumer technology was not up to the task. Beyond the component issues, maybe the whole concept is rubbish but the jury is still out on that question.

More recently, mobile phones have catalyzed cheap processing & fast, big high-resolution screens. So a lot of mass-produced technology is catching up. But I'm not sure if there will be another round of excitement around these gizmos so maybe the whole industry is DOA.

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

Originally Posted by Ralphiano
I wonder if the necessity of frequently repeated changes of focal distance (back and forth from 1/2 inch to 20+ inches) would strain the users eye muscles to the point of damage?

My guess is that pilot HUDs utilize color, rate of flashing, and other variables as part of the communicative language between pilot and computer so the pilot can receive some critical information instantaneously without having to engage in the slow process of reading. No focal distance shifting necessary. And, consequently, no eye fatigue or damage.

But, I'm guessing here. Does anyone here know?

To me, this seems a sharp observation and valid concerns.

As for aviation HUDs, these can present all sorts of essential flight information, such as airspeed, turn/bank indicator, vertical speed, altitude and so on. These are transparent screens that are close to (directly in front of) the windscreen, therefore much further away from the eye, thus not requiring such extreme focus shifts. They can be folded out of the way as well, somewhat similar to the sun visors in your car.

Cheers,

HZ

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
HUDs have been in some cars too for a while now. And e.g. the VW ID.4 has some info projected onto the windshield instead of a separate piece of plexi glass.

But no sheet music. 😀

The HoloLens of course has head tracking, so the virtual sheet music could be placed in a certain spot in the augmented reality world and it then stays there until moved around. But is it better or even equally good as physical sheet music(?)

Anyway a coder would need to code an AR app to make any actual use of it, I guess.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I think an approach that's used for welding might be adaptable. Rather than the traditional approach of looking at the actual weld through a dark lens, a video display is placed in front of the welders face inside the helmet. A camera displays the video image of the weld onto the display. I have used these at trade shows and they work well but they're still pretty expensive, although they don't use any advanced technology. It's basically just a video camera and a video display with some accommodations for the intense light levels. So you could play the piano with a screen in front of your face that projected the keys onto the screen as well as a line of two of music at the top of the display.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
Projection is not a good option. IIRC the Magic Leap is not a projector. It creates a light field ... so there's no concern over changing focus.

But I'm afraid np might be right about this ...
Originally Posted by newer player
I'm not sure if there will be another round of excitement around these gizmos so maybe the whole industry is DOA.
3D saw the same fate. It came to the movies in the 1950s, and died due to high cost and poor performance.
It came back decades later with a better performing system based on polarizers, but died once again for the same reasons.
And it came to television in 2010-ish with new tech ... and it died a third time for the same reasons.

So I'm sad and not hopeful about these new "augmented" reality devices.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Just Completed My 42 Week Pandemic Teaching Project
by tonystride - 06/22/21 03:41 PM
Kawai NV5 Users Group
by JBishop - 06/22/21 03:28 PM
Vax77 Folding Piano Review 2021
by AlphaTerminus - 06/22/21 01:12 PM
Recording an upright using ORTF?
by Beemer - 06/22/21 11:46 AM
Caution with cheap SSDs
by newer player - 06/22/21 11:08 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,654
Posts3,106,283
Members101,884
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission