2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
58 members (Beansparrow, AprilE, 36251, Abdol, august112, 716GoBills, BachToTheFuture, bobrunyan, 13 invisible), 878 guests, and 482 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 448 of 449 1 2 446 447 448 449
Originally Posted by Stormbringer
Yao - Sorry it went that way. Does he only give you one chance and it's either pass or fail? No second chance in the same lesson? Would you be able to memorize the last two pages by next lesson? When you make a mistake in the future, maybe you can ask if you can start over again. Otherwise you'll feel unnecessary pressure. Best of luck next week. I understand feeling bad for a little while, but don't feel bad for long : ).

Isn't Canon the last song in Book 2? Will you continue on with Book 3 after Canon or do you have other plans?

I finally got past Blow The Man Down. I don't have it completely mastered, but every few tries I can play it through without a mistake. That's good enough for me. I already spent a few days on it and don't really care about it any more. I enjoyed learning the lessons for that song. Now I moved past it to Book 1 Page 90 - Lone Star Waltz, which is an enjoyable study in moving up and down in 6ths for the most part. I like the song.

Let me know how it goes,

Stormbringer
I LOVE the song.

Pianoteq + Korg C1.

I shall be "thankful" for this decent alternative to an upright piano. Hallelujah.
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Yao - Cool that you are moving on to book 3. Bach's WTC 1 preludes and fugues is a great next step. Are you thinking about doing all 24 Major and Minor keys to get more familiar with playing in each key? I'm a big Bach fan. Love Story Theme is beautiful. I intend to tackle that some day as well. I hear you about the repertoire. After a good dose of Method books, it's natural to crave that. Alfred's does get a little repetitive and can even be monotonous at times. But I like going through it to pick up the theory and the way they have song samples related to each theory lesson.

As far as me playing other stuff outside of Alfred's: Yes, but not out of other books yet. It's only my 10th day playing, so not ready quite yet. But I have been working on improving my awkward 4th and 5th fingers and just getting the stiffness out of all the fingers and both wrists. I'm using the exercises from book 1 - Hanon and Leschetizky on pages 57, 78, 87. I'm also remembering bits and pieces from the past, but not nearly as much as I expected. Playing with intervals, chords, scales and arpeggios off the top of my head. Enjoying the nice piano sound and feel of the keys. Meandering around a lot and just experiencing the keyboard.

I do have Alfred's "The Complete Book of Scales, Chords, Arpeggios & Cadences". I'll get into playing with that in the not to distant future. After book 3, I will have a very strong desire to learn more exercises and especially repertoire. I like the Alfred AIO books, but it'll be good to get away from method books after book 3.

Meghdad - Fun version of Blow The Man Down. Thanx for putting that one up on the forum. How do you like your current teacher? It's very important to have a teacher that you like a lot. I know you had bad experiences with some of your past teachers and had to switch to new teachers.

Stormbringer

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Working on Alfred's Adult AIO Book 2
1970's: Took piano lessons. 2021: This old man is giving it a 2nd go.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Feel The Power>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Heyy :-) Sea shanties are lovely aren't they.

About the teacher dilemma. After alot of pondering and having conversations with friends and other teachers, I've come to a point of going the self-learning route, at least for a few months, to see how well I will progress. I have had self-learning experiences with the harmonica and the guitar and I know that I am able to keep myself motivated. It's just a matter of finding a good course that's available where I live. I'm gonna try the Aaron's method books or Alfred's or Beyer's. I'm yet to decide which one though, probably Aaron's as the main course plus some Beyer and other etudes and pieces appropriate to my level. Plus, there are valuable resources here on this forum and on Youtube that can help me along the way.

Pianoteq + Korg C1.

I shall be "thankful" for this decent alternative to an upright piano. Hallelujah.
W
W
“ variations on a sea chanty” is in book three
It’s on my to do list

Last edited by Wayne2467; 04/10/21 01:35 PM.
Wayne2467 - Yes, I think Fur Elise and Moonlight 1 in Book 3 are the real deal but I could be wrong. Yeah, P. 100 of Bk. 3 for Sea Chanty Variations. Are you in book 3 now? What are you working on?

KJP_65 - How do you like Alfred's vs. Faber?

Animisha - How Goes the Schmitt Op. 16? What else are you working on. Are you in Alfred's Bk. 3?

Yao - How goes book 3? What else are you doing?

Meghdad - What are you playing these days for exercises and repertoire? If you do Alfred's, I would recommend the All-In-One (AIO) rather than straight Basic like in that video you posted. Here is a link for Alfred's AIO BK 1

I'm making up my own exercises mostly for strengthening the 4th and 5th fingers. Also playing on Book 1 P. 128 In Alfred's AIO. Rushing things a bit to be sure. But have to get to Bk. 2, then Bk. 3.

Stormbringer

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Animisha - How Goes the Schmitt Op. 16? What else are you working on. Are you in Alfred's Bk. 3?

Hi Stormbringer! I am still finding my way with Schmitt Op. 16. I don't know quite which tempo I should aim for. The exercises in C are easy, but the text says to play them in all keys without changing the fingering, and for instance in Bb major, the fingering when playing the full scale is quite different to the one in the book. This is also my first transposing exercise - I have never done that before, so it is nice to learn that as well.

Other than that, I have left Alfred's more than three years ago, when I was in book 3, but the pieces were too difficult and my playing sounded ugly. I went on a quest, and eventually found the Russian school of piano playing. I am still very happy to be a student of that school, and my piano playing doesn't sound ugly any more. smile

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
Animisha - First thing I would do is put the exercises in groups. Then just work on the first group for a while until they're fairly even. After that you can decide if you want to boost the tempo up to 120-160 BPM or what ever tempo seems best for the group.

After you get them up to that tempo range, perhaps do the same with group 2, then group 3, etc. Or maybe you just want to hand pick all of the exercises you like best from the whole book at once and work on just those.

Nice thing about exercise books is you can do them any way you like best. But just do it in a way where you can enjoy the most. I don't spend too much time on them, but some. I prefer etudes and repertoire a bit more. But when I need to work on something from an exercise book, I will spend more time on it than usual for a while. It changes over time.

I also like to use them as inspiration to make up my own exercises.

Great you found a technique that works well for you with the Russian style. Sounds like it helps you a lot and is a good fit for you. That "Technique Is Fun" series you pointed out in the other thread is a great series.

Good luck,

Stormbringer

Y
Yao Offline
Y
Haven’t actually started book 3 yet - I expect to in my next lesson. My teacher seems reasonably satisfied with Canon in D and suggested that I make a recording for myself (it’s good practice to play under a little bit of pressure), but I’m not too enthused because, as I mentioned earlier, this is a simplified piece so it’s missing the few measures that I consider to be the signature of Canon in D — hard to describe, if you listen to
, the segment starting at 0:50 is missing from Alfred’s.

Meanwhile I’m diligently doing my Schmitt Op 16 and Czerny. I absolutely love Schmitt even though it’s boring and unmusical, because I can see the results. My teacher usually assigns a group of 10 exercises from this book at a time, and normally takes me about two weeks to get comfortable with them before moving on. I have been working at this for the past half year or so, just got through number 169 — all that holding down 1-3 fingers while playing the others is super hard but super effective! I am seeing a noticeable improvement in the fingers 4 and 5 and it feels great!

On exercise books vs real music for mechanical skills: I like exercises when my goal is to improve strength, which means I don’t need to think a lot. So my dirty secret is I’ll be laboring on these exercises while watching some Netflix show at the same time to lessen the boredom. I know this isn’t the recommended way to practice mindfully, but I think in the case of mechanical exercises it is okay. When I work on actual pieces I’m a lot more focused. :P

Last edited by Yao; 04/25/21 02:29 AM.
J
J
I've been reading you for about two months and I've seen very useful tips and advices. Thank you!

I've finally decided to write. I'm not used to write in English but I'll do my best...

Like many of you I'm going through the book by myself without a teacher. I'm about to start last lesson of book 1 (eighth-note triplets). Next thing in the book are some pieces you can play but no theory or technique. I'm sure I'll learn something practicing them but I'm not sure if it's worth it.

What do you recommend?. Should I spend a lot of time with them or jump directly to book 2?. What's your experience?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thank you Stormbringer for your friendly advice!

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
Yao - I like this Alfred's thread a lot. Glad you and the others are here. Good group I'd say. Hey, I hear you about chopped down versions in method books. True with Canon and good you noticed. Yeah, I know the exact part you mean at the 0:50 spot. A valuable bit to get cut I'd say.

Czerny 599? How do you like that and how do you practice it? Cool about Schmitt 16 - I like it too. I have also found the exercises starting on #34 help a lot, especially fingers 4 + 5. I was both laughing out loud and cursing inside while doing the hold down notes exercises at first. I was yelling inside at my fingers, "Move! Move! That's an order! And you stay down! No! Don't do that!" I couldn't believe how much my fingers disobeyed. But then after just a few days, it started working and helping my finger strength + independence. Cool book.

Ha! You made me laugh when you mentioned your dirty little secret and then stuck your tongue out at the end! Lol : )

Javierph - Glad you are here on this thread. Great that you are finishing up Book 1. You've come a long ways. Yes, I would at least play through them once unless you are sure you really don't like those pieces. Let us know how it goes.

Animisha - Glad you are posting in this thread. You're welcome. You can pick a much lower tempo if you want : ) I've seen people play them slow, moderate, and also very fast. Yao mentioned that his teacher assigns 10 at a time.

Stormbringer

Y
Yao Offline
Y
stormbringer — indeed, when I first started the holding down finger exercises, for example when I have to press all five fingers down and then lift say fingers 124, I would stare at my hand thinking “ok up you go 124!” And somehow end up lifting 134 or 235... it’s like suddenly the fingers decide to go mutiny on me!

I haven’t got very far on Czerny, right now I’m on exercise 16 at 100 bpm. From this book my teacher would only assign one exercise at a time (starting with #12), which also takes me about two weeks to complete. I like the exercises and can see how they highlight the weaknesses that I need to work on. For example with #16 right now I’m focusing on getting the sixteenth notes to flow evenly. Schmitt actually helps a lot in this case, so I usually do some Schmitt first as warm up before moving onto Czerny.

What song are you on now? You must be going through them pretty quickly since this is your second time through. Any thoughts about what you wanna do beyond Alfred when you’re done with the three books?

Meghdad - What are you playing these days for exercises and repertoire? If you do Alfred's, I would recommend the All-In-One (AIO) rather than straight Basic like in that video you posted. Here is a link for Alfred's AIO BK 1

Stormbringer

Heyy my friendly buddy. smile

Actually, I've been in a sort of hiatus for the last two weeks because I jumped teachers again! And I am awaiting the new teacher who's gonna visit me on Wednesday.

Yeah I know, I made the statement of going self-learning route but I had difficulty following the pieces from Beyer and other stuff in an orderly fashion, and I seemed to lack the kind of motivation that I had with self-learning the guitar and the harmonica. Could be my age, or could be the piano being a total different beast or something else.

Also the new teacher is gonna teach using the Aaron's books which means no Alfreds. :-)

Oh and my screen name is actually my first name haha. It should sound weird to you being an American. Megadeth, the British metal band if I'm correct, has nothing to do with my name.

Pianoteq + Korg C1.

J
J
Javierph - Glad you are here on this thread. Great that you are finishing up Book 1. You've come a long ways. Yes, I would at least play through them once unless you are sure you really don't like those pieces. Let us know how it goes.

Thank you for your kind words wink

I don't especially like them but I'll give them a try.

From the book one, I think I'm just keeping with me "The Entertainer", love it.

Yao - Interesting to hear how you are handling Czerny + Schmitt. I have some of the same troubles you have with finger independence, strength and the even flowing of the notes.

I am in Alfred's book 1, page 129 "The Stranger". Next up is "Greensleeves". I don't spend much time on any song. Yeah, I am still planning on going through all 3 Alfred's. Then various etudes books, exercise books, repertoire books. Lots of Classical stuff for a while. After that I plan to pursue Rock and Joplin Ragtime. After that, some Jazz and Afro-Cuban. I'd like to get more into composing later on and perhaps monetizing. That'll keep me busy for the next 10+ years. Also, I will have to buy an electric guitar or two or three...Of course, everything is subject to change, so I will be ready to switch gears at any point in time.

You? What do you plan to do with your musicianship for the next 10+ years?

Meghdad - And you're my friendly buddy too smile Glad you are posting in this thread. Even if you are learning from a different book, you should still post in this thread. I think your name is cool. That's why I asked about it. Cool that you are trying out a new teacher. Keep doing that until you find one you like a lot. That's what I do! Let me know how you like the new teacher.

Stormbringer

Y
Yao Offline
Y
Stormbringer - It's so cool you have so much planned ahead! That does indeed sound like you'll never run out of things to learn, and it's probably good because you can switch from one to another so that you don't burn out.

I unfortunately don't have any talent for composition or improv, in fact I'm surprising myself that I even got this far with piano. So I'm limiting my goal only to playing music that's already written, most likely continuing down the classical route. I already bought Burgmuller Op. 100 because I hear it's a good book for beginners, more musical than Czerny and Hanon, but I haven't attempted any yet (it's kind of hard to gauge the difficulty level so I'll just defer to my teacher for assignments). Like many others I dream of playing pieces like Chopin, but I'll be happy however far I get!

Yao - Playing music that is already written is a big part of my path as well. Lots of excellent composers out there. You mentioned one book I will be getting once I have some decent experience as an intermediate: Burgmuller Op.100 25 Easy and Progressive Studies. That sounds like a ton of fun. It's beautiful. If you like that one and want more by that composer: Burgmuller Op.105 12 Brilliant and Melodious Studies and also Burgmuller - 18 Études, Op.109. I'm a huge fan of Burgmuller.

I love Chopin too. You'll be able to play a lesser version of his Prelude In A Minor (Page 137, Alfred's book 3) along with several other excellent songs such as Beethoven Moonlight 1, Bach's Tocatta in D Minor, Beethoven Fur Elise, Bach Prelude In C Major (which you have already played), and a truck load of other great composers. Book 3 looks great and I can't wait to get to it.

Composition isn't hard at all. There's a lot of ways to go at it. You can start with a melody, a chord, a series of bass lines, etc...You can also rewrite existing songs or borrow bits from a song or two. There is also a book on Amazon that I think would be a good read: Composition Book. I plan on buying it some day.

Javierph - I'm a huge Scott Joplin fan. I love "The Entertainer".

Stormbringer

Yao - I sent you a PM.

Stormbringer

I finished Alfred's Adult AOI in one month. It took me from April 1 to May 1. I didn't polish any pieces too far. Some I just sight read. I fully reviewed all the theory though. I especially liked the arrangement of Amazing Grace. I did play that many times. I'm not a big fan of simplified music though it's necessary at the beginning. But by half way through the book it would have been nice if they would have had full versions of songs and continued to do so with the remaining 2 books.

I consider them all throw away pieces. But I did value them insofar as being able to apply the theory in each lesson, becoming comfortable with note reading, and getting the fingers going.

I'm older. So, it took 2-3 weeks just to get my fingers to cooperate. They were so weak, stiff, and sore at first. Glad they are moving a bit and I am able to sight read some as well.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the Alfred's series. Otherwise I wouldn't have bought book 2.

I bought book 2 and have started it. I intend to finish that and go on all the way through book 3. I'm thinking that will be enough method books for me. What do you think?

After that it's etudes and repertoire (I get all my books from Amazon):

Alfred's Masterwork Classics: Level 1-2 (Combined into 1 book. Many of these are etudes)
Alfred's Masterwork Classics: Level 3 (Many of these are etudes)
Czerny 24 Easy Studies for the Left Hand, Op. 718: Left Hand Alone
Alfred's Essential Keyboard Études: 100 Early Intermediate to Late Intermediate Studies
The Giant Book of Intermediate Classical Piano Music: Schirmer's Library of Musical Classics, Vol. 2139 (Repertoire!)
Burgmuller Op. 100 Progressive Studies (Beautiful stuff!)
Burgmuller Op.105 12 Brilliant and Melodious Studies (Ditto)
Burgmüller - Op.109 18 Études (Ditto)

I've done some Schmitt Op. 16 for my 4th and 5th fingers. They are still fairly weak, but they have come a long way. I will continue doing some of these and perhaps bit of Czerny Op. 599. I have my Alfred's The Complete Book of Scales, Chords, Arpeggios & Cadences. I'll probably dabble a bit in that one.

After that not sure but I have some ideas:

Composition - The Complete Idiot's Guide to Music Composition (since I love making my own music)
More Baroque, Classical, Romantic, Impressionist stuff by composers I like
Rock
Jazz - probably Hal Leonard Jazz Piano Method Book 1 and Book 2
Jazz - The Real Book

I like a lot of music genres so it won't be hard to find a life time or two worth of books to buy : - ) The specifics of which books and which order of play changes a little bit over time.

I'd really love it if a bunch of you would check in and say what you've been doing, how it went, and what you intend to do in the future.

Check in, will ya?!!!

Stormbringer

Y
Yao Offline
Y
Had a busy weekend so don’t have much to report, but, I finally started on Book 3! I’m learning the first piece (Calypso Rhumba), it’s a review piece and also in C major, so I don’t think it’ll be too difficult (knock on wood).

Also trying to polish a Japanese anime song I’m learning in addition to the Alfred

(I especially love how the song uses arpeggiated chords to mimic the feel of Asian instruments)

Stormbringer - do you have / plan on getting a teacher?

Page 448 of 449 1 2 446 447 448 449

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Don't buy a Focusrite.
by Christopher90 - 06/25/21 07:35 AM
Smaller Room - Grand Lid Down?
by brdwyguy - 06/25/21 06:46 AM
Break-ups are hard
by Athdara - 06/24/21 11:54 PM
(Question) VST-applied MIDI and live-recorded VST
by Saberlarry - 06/24/21 11:39 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,694
Posts3,107,124
Members101,903
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission