2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
79 members (bwv872, Carey, c++, 36251, accordeur, anotherscott, Andrew_G, brdwyguy, 16 invisible), 821 guests, and 453 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 94 of 98 1 2 92 93 94 95 96 97 98
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
You need the cable to get midi output to Piano Marvel. To my knowledge Bluetooth will stream audio input, but not midi output from your keyboard.

Last edited by trooplewis; 04/16/21 04:49 PM.

Casio PX-S3000
Nope, no issues with it at all.
Took lessons from 1960 to 1969, stopped at age 16.
Started again in July 2020 at age 67. Lots more fun now!
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
D
D
Originally Posted by trooplewis
You need the cable to get midi output to Piano Marvel. To my knowledge Bluetooth will stream audio input, but not midi output from your keyboard.

I can confirm that my Kawai ca99 does transmit Bluetooth midi to piano marvel because that's what I'm using right now . I wanted to know if using an apple usb connector would be more accurate because there might be a slight delay when using Bluetooth.

Kawai CA99PE,True keys American,Ivory Grand pianos, Pianoteq 6.0 and Ravenscroft
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Piano Marvel is great, but I'm starting to think it may not be for me.

I'll have to do some more of the sightreading work before I pull the plug.

My problem is that most of the stuff I like to play (e.g., Chopin 9/1, Scarlatti K380, etc.) has dynamic and rhythmic aspects that are beyond what PM can handle right now--a Chopin 20:12 melody over bass figure is not something it can deal with cleanly. It gets flustered.

But even more than that is the library. The support has been amazing--I ask for piece of music and in a week or less it's added to the library.

However, the OCR transcription process or the source usually ends up with errors. And when they are the wrong notes, it's pretty pointless to use it. I've found that's the case (wrong notes) on two or three occasions. This isn't user-based uploads (as excellent feature, but one with similar pitfalls), but the ones that I've requested. It seems OCR, the PM midi/score engine, and public-domain (or w/e PM doesn't need to license) scores are the limiting factor to the quality of the app.

So I have mixed feelings about it. On the one hand, being forced to play correctly and with time-to-completion measurements is outstanding.

On the other hand, the attention to detail and quality control on the more complex user-requested classical music selections is lacking. The responsiveness is fire, but 99% correct notes in a (eg) Beethoven sonata or Bach fugue is a fail.

I highly recommend the app for everyone, but as for me I think just using a score will keep me from learning incorrect notes on the pieces that are most important to me.

Even if I pull the plug, I could see subscribing again in bursts for this or that.

Only in men's imagination does every truth find an effective and undeniable existence. Imagination, not invention, is the supreme master of art as of life. -Józef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by hawgdriver

My problem is that most of the stuff I like to play (e.g., Chopin 9/1, Scarlatti K380, etc.) has dynamic and rhythmic aspects that are beyond what PM can handle right now--a Chopin 20:12 melody over bass figure is not something it can deal with cleanly. It gets flustered.

But even more than that is the library. The support has been amazing--I ask for piece of music and in a week or less it's added to the library.

However, the OCR transcription process or the source usually ends up with errors. And when they are the wrong notes, it's pretty pointless to use it. I've found that's the case (wrong notes) on two or three occasions. This isn't user-based uploads (as excellent feature, but one with similar pitfalls), but the ones that I've requested. It seems OCR, the PM midi/score engine, and public-domain (or w/e PM doesn't need to license) scores are the limiting factor to the quality of the app.

So I have mixed feelings about it. On the one hand, being forced to play correctly and with time-to-completion measurements is outstanding.

On the other hand, the attention to detail and quality control on the more complex user-requested classical music selections is lacking. The responsiveness is fire, but 99% correct notes in a (eg) Beethoven sonata or Bach fugue is a fail.

I highly recommend the app for everyone, but as for me I think just using a score will keep me from learning incorrect notes on the pieces that are most important to me.

Even if I pull the plug, I could see subscribing again in bursts for this or that.

PM isn't really a good teacher if you are a fairly advanced pianist. It's more for the person who knows nothing about piano and wants to start from scratch, or someone like me who took lessons many years ago and needs a refresher course.

Casio PX-S3000
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by trooplewis
PM isn't really a good teacher if you are a fairly advanced pianist. It's more for the person who knows nothing about piano and wants to start from scratch, or someone like me who took lessons many years ago and needs a refresher course.

Absolutely--I highly recommend it, but I'm hitting some personal barriers. That's a bummer bc when it works, it's excellent.

I still need to consider running through the method and technique sections--I feel like I could massively improve my sightreading if I put in the time.

Only in men's imagination does every truth find an effective and undeniable existence. Imagination, not invention, is the supreme master of art as of life. -Józef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski
T
T
Originally Posted by loydb
Consider setting up a Google spreadsheet for tracking practice time. I hate PM's practice mode, so I generally work a piece up from the PDF or the Assess screen (for short pieces). PM only logs my time when I'm actually trying to Assess. Eventually, you'll move on from PM, and it will be helpful to already have a system in place.

I like prepare mode. I actually use it after I learned a piece to reinforce and have my own (variable) tempo.

Piano Marvel should provide more useful reports than they do currently.

Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by daz100
Hi do I need to purchase a USB to Lightning adaptor ?
When using a iPad Pro does piano marvel work better using a USB to Lightning adaptor or is it just has good using the Bluetooth connection ?
Thanks
The iPad Pro has USB-C instead of lighting so you don't need a lightning adaptor. You can use a USB-C to USB-B cable (which is what I do) or you can use a USB-C hub which would also allow you to add a headphone jack and extra port for charging the iPad while it's connected to the piano. I have tried using Bluetooth but the delay was too bad.

Piano Marvel level 4E and everything I like smile
Originally Posted by hawgdriver

Have you tried to use prepare mode as tjf21 suggest when you perform a piece and volume on zero in PM?
Seems like they could rename it to prepare/perform

D
D
Does anyone have any tips for learning the 'transposition' exercises? (4D-18, and 4E-18). I can play any one of the sections just fine, and I can play the other things that have come along for familiar tunes in new keys, I can get my hands to know that (these notes) are sharps / flats as long as it's consistent, but I can't get my head around switching between keys as I go.

I feel like there's some fundamental understanding that these exercises are meant to get me to, where eventually I can just transpose a simple melody like this automatically. But at the moment it seems like the only way I'm actually going to get them done is to just grindingly memorize the whole thing note by note, which is not very enticing -- is there some other way to get my head/hands to learn this stuff?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Daniel Mitchell
Does anyone have any tips for learning the 'transposition' exercises? (4D-18, and 4E-18). I can play any one of the sections just fine, and I can play the other things that have come along for familiar tunes in new keys, I can get my hands to know that (these notes) are sharps / flats as long as it's consistent, but I can't get my head around switching between keys as I go.

I feel like there's some fundamental understanding that these exercises are meant to get me to, where eventually I can just transpose a simple melody like this automatically. But at the moment it seems like the only way I'm actually going to get them done is to just grindingly memorize the whole thing note by note, which is not very enticing -- is there some other way to get my head/hands to learn this stuff?
I dealt with the same thing, thinking this stuff is way more advanced that what I have learned on PM. I was happy to hit 80% and move on...

Casio PX-S3000
T
Online Content
T
I'm really struggling with the F chords in 5C.

I"m fine with the standard F chords and the first inversion but when it comes to the second inversion, my left hand isn’t built for the C7.

It’s quite strange because over the years many people when seeing my hands have remarked that I have piano fingers. I have long thin fingers however I still struggle to play between the black keys.

I'll get it eventually but cannot imagine ever being able to play this chord comfortably with the left hand.

I hope that they don’t get any harder smile

Don’t practice until you get it right. Practice until you can’t get it wrong.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by treefrog
I'm really struggling with the F chords in 5C.

I"m fine with the standard F chords and the first inversion but when it comes to the second inversion, my left hand isn’t built for the C7.

It’s quite strange because over the years many people when seeing my hands have remarked that I have piano fingers. I have long thin fingers however I still struggle to play between the black keys.

I'll get it eventually but cannot imagine ever being able to play this chord comfortably with the left hand.

I hope that they don’t get any harder smile

C7 is a really popular chord that you will run into over and over if you play piano much.
If you can't stretch the root C with your left hand, you might try inverting the bottom C to the top and use your thumb for it. Either way, you are going to need to get a good solid grip on C7th

Last edited by trooplewis; 04/30/21 03:22 PM.

Casio PX-S3000
T
Online Content
T
Yay!

I"m an official member of the '360 Day Club' laugh

Don’t practice until you get it right. Practice until you can’t get it wrong.
Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline
Yay!

Well done !! laugh

Piano Marvel level 4E and everything I like smile
Hi, fellow Piano Marvel learners. I've been using Pianoo Marvel to teach myself since the new year. I'm not a fast learner but I'm happy enough with my progress so far. I'm in the 3D trophy room, and am gradually working my way through method and technique. I find ear training really difficult. I'm not at all musical really, but I don't mind working for results. I'm a single mum and I work so it's hard to find time but I'm making time.
I bought a digital piano off gumtree at Christmas and that's what I've been learning on so far but I'm researching an upgrade as I know what I want more after a few month's play.
I'm going to read back on this post and get caught up with everything!

T
T
HI Tess,

I am on the same boat. I really struggle with ear training and I have a very difficult time at distinguishing even the simples intervals (but I can tell if there is a mistaken note in a melody, so I am not tone deaf!). I use the free website Teoria.com to practice interval discrimination, but I am not making too much progress.

I hope to be wrong, but I suspect that there is a big genetic component in how good one is at 'measuring' intervals and training will only go so far.

I am also terrible at singing (I cannot carry a tune to save my life!), and I suspect the two things are correlated.

Despite all this, I am having a lot of fun with Piano Marvel and with learning the piano in general, so keep studying and keep enjoying your adventure!

Cheers,

Andrea

Last edited by total_beginner; 05/11/21 05:04 PM.

FP-30
Youtube channel: https://youtube.com/user/ziobert
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I took Many years of piano lesson when I was in my teens, and am just getting back to it this past year.
I hate ear training.
Got through it as fast as I could as long as I passed with an 80 or better.

Casio PX-S3000
L
L
Yay, no more waterfall! Much easier to read IMO.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Yay!

Congrats!

Originally Posted by TessB
Hi, fellow Piano Marvel learners. I've been using Pianoo Marvel to teach myself since the new year. I'm not a fast learner but I'm happy enough with my progress so far. I'm in the 3D trophy room, and am gradually working my way through method and technique. I find ear training really difficult. I'm not at all musical really, but I don't mind working for results. I'm a single mum and I work so it's hard to find time but I'm making time.
I bought a digital piano off gumtree at Christmas and that's what I've been learning on so far but I'm researching an upgrade as I know what I want more after a few month's play.
I'm going to read back on this post and get caught up with everything!

The ear training really isn't ear training. I think they should remove those or make them separate as I imagine most members just get through it by rote memory. It doesn't teach anything about active/resting tones or resolutions. But then no ones wants to skip it cause you need that darn trophy. What I'm saying is don't be hard on yourself if the ear training makes no sense or doesnt click and takes forever and no, you're not a slow learner piano skills just take way longer than we think.

Thanks for the replies, it's reassuring to see I'm not the only one who struggles with ear training. I allow myself to pass on 90 or over but I really think I'm going to drop this to 80.
After reading through previous pages, I've ordered Alfred's all in one book for adult beginners, and I'm going to try to print out the PM pdf at work as I hadn't realised I was missing out on other stuff. I must admit, I had wondered when I'd be starting to use the pedals!!
I think a teacher is pretty inevitable at some stage in the future but just now I'm paying for lessons for my kids so can't also afford them for myself.

Page 94 of 98 1 2 92 93 94 95 96 97 98

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Sustain/Sostenuto Pedal issues
by Lance Jensen - 09/17/21 04:49 PM
Upgrade to Used Upright or Advanced Digital Piano?
by Connor5522 - 09/17/21 03:44 PM
Bronzing Powder Mixing Turning Yellow Gold into Deep Gold
by Chernobieff Piano - 09/17/21 03:18 PM
Kawai NV5 Or NV10?
by Tenor1 - 09/17/21 02:53 PM
Mic + subwoofer for an acoustic piano?
by WinstonSmith - 09/17/21 02:25 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,161
Posts3,133,121
Members102,761
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission