2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
51 members (brycef, anotherscott, clothearednincompo, busa, AlphaTerminus, AprilE, c++, 10 invisible), 1,098 guests, and 518 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
davick Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Currently I have a roland fp30 as a midi controller, but normally I used my desktop pc, now I would like to buy a laptop and I was looking at an Asus Rog g14 ryzen 9 4900hs, my point is that if someone of you owns this laptop and has given it latency issues or something similar, or issues with usb connections connecting your keyboard as a controller. My intention is to use ableton Live, and I would like to choose the best laptop that does not give me problems with my dp or dpc latency problems, I appreciate your help and I will be attentive to your comments.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
With the integrated sound card, you should probably need ASIO4ALL since no specific ASIO drivers are provided (I guess). But I can’t tell you what latency you will have.

But USB link is quite standard : I don’t think you will gave any issue.

Yamaha CLP150, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Frédéric L
With the integrated sound card, you should probably need ASIO4ALL since no specific ASIO drivers are provided (I guess). But I can’t tell you what latency you will have.

I think Realtek has ASIO drivers. At least it apears as such on Pianoteq.

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by EVC2017
Originally Posted by Frédéric L

I think Realtek has ASIO drivers. At least it apears as such on Pianoteq.

You get poor performance from the Realtek; AS1O brings the whole thing to life with no issues. And it's free.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by peterws
You get poor performance from the Realtek; AS1O brings the whole thing to life with no issues. And it's free.

Hi, Peter, I am not sure I follow you.

Apparently Realtek implemented ASIO in their drivers recently (I think, around a year ago). I remember reading about it when I updated the drivers of my laptop. Are they good (both Realtek interface and drivers)? I have no idea and TBH, I don't care, as for "serious" work I use my Yamaha AG-06. I just wanted to point that there is some ASIO support by Realtek.

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by davick
Currently I have a roland fp30 as a midi controller, but normally I used my desktop pc, now I would like to buy a laptop and I was looking at an Asus Rog g14 ryzen 9 4900hs, my point is that if someone of you owns this laptop and has given it latency issues or something similar, or issues with usb connections connecting your keyboard as a controller. My intention is to use ableton Live, and I would like to choose the best laptop that does not give me problems with my dp or dpc latency problems, I appreciate your help and I will be attentive to your comments.

I own that particular G14. I've had it for almost a year now but only started using it for piano in the last two weeks. It has no problems running everything. I don't know exactly how the latency would be with the generic ASIO but you'd probably be fine with ASIO4ALL if necessary. I used ASIO4ALL in my previous laptop setup and for the most part it was fine. But for now I use the USB ASIO drivers bundled with my audio interface or the one with my mixer (currently not in use). Using Garritan CFX Aria player and the Presonus USB ASIO driver I can run at 32 samples. I currently use 64 samples.

The biggest issue you might find with this laptop is that the fans can get loud. To get steady performance you will need to keep it plugged in. The default battery profile doesn't hold up (it uses a silent mode so the fans do not operate. You could probably adjust if you wanted to play on a higher performing battery mode).

The fan noise is not an issue for me so far. There's also no webcam if that's an issue for you. One of the most annoying things for me personally is that the keyboard is missing the home/end/pgdn/pgup keys. Turns out I use those alot. But besides those keys missing it's an amazing keyboard. One of the best really. And great trackpad. Not that you need those for this purpose.

If you want this laptop and just want to know if it will also work for VST then the answer is yes. It will easily do that. If you were just looking for the best value windows laptop for this purpose, you can probably find one for 1/2 the price. It's a great laptop for just about anything so it's not a bad choice if you have other uses for it. You can't really get it with more than 16gb of ram so that's another downside if you wanted to go with 32 at some point.

My son has had 2 lessons now over zoom while running garritan cfx in aria player. It's done a good job at that. If you wanted to get a slightly larger laptop, check out the G15. It supposedly has slightly quieter fans if that's a concern.

D
D
Aside from the ASIO4ALL, I'd like to add that a RAM of more than 8gb is important. I use an FP10 with Garritan CFX and before when I had only 8gb of ram, there was a point where the the vst just lags horribly(about 30 mins of playing). I didn't understand why back then but now that I've upgraded my laptop to 12gb ram, I can now play continuously without the lag. When I checked Task Manager recently, I noticed my ram usage was about 8.5gb already after about 40 mins of playing so that tells me that maybe the lag before was because I was exceeding 8gb in memory.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by dcbluepiano
Aside from the ASIO4ALL, I'd like to add that a RAM of more than 8gb is important. I use an FP10 with Garritan CFX and before when I had only 8gb of ram, there was a point where the the vst just lags horribly(about 30 mins of playing). I didn't understand why back then but now that I've upgraded my laptop to 12gb ram, I can now play continuously without the lag. When I checked Task Manager recently, I noticed my ram usage was about 8.5gb already after about 40 mins of playing so that tells me that maybe the lag before was because I was exceeding 8gb in memory.

Regardless the amount of RAM (more is always better), if you are using Windows 10, I suggest you disable the swap/paging file.

D
davick Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by Pathbreaker

I own that particular G14. I've had it for almost a year now but only started using it for piano in the last two weeks. It has no problems running everything. I don't know exactly how the latency would be with the generic ASIO but you'd probably be fine with ASIO4ALL if necessary. I used ASIO4ALL in my previous laptop setup and for the most part it was fine. But for now I use the USB ASIO drivers bundled with my audio interface or the one with my mixer (currently not in use). Using Garritan CFX Aria player and the Presonus USB ASIO driver I can run at 32 samples. I currently use 64 samples.

The biggest issue you might find with this laptop is that the fans can get loud. To get steady performance you will need to keep it plugged in. The default battery profile doesn't hold up (it uses a silent mode so the fans do not operate. You could probably adjust if you wanted to play on a higher performing battery mode).

The fan noise is not an issue for me so far. There's also no webcam if that's an issue for you. One of the most annoying things for me personally is that the keyboard is missing the home/end/pgdn/pgup keys. Turns out I use those alot. But besides those keys missing it's an amazing keyboard. One of the best really. And great trackpad. Not that you need those for this purpose.

If you want this laptop and just want to know if it will also work for VST then the answer is yes. It will easily do that. If you were just looking for the best value windows laptop for this purpose, you can probably find one for 1/2 the price. It's a great laptop for just about anything so it's not a bad choice if you have other uses for it. You can't really get it with more than 16gb of ram so that's another downside if you wanted to go with 32 at some point.

My son has had 2 lessons now over zoom while running garritan cfx in aria player. It's done a good job at that. If you wanted to get a slightly larger laptop, check out the G15. It supposedly has slightly quieter fans if that's a concern.

Thank you, your experience has helped me a lot !! If I want it to play live, using vst the truth is that the webcam matters little to me and I think that 16gb with that powerful cpu can move anything.
One last question Pathbreaker, when using the size 128 buffer, how much latency do you have?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
At 128 it's showing input latency of 6.168 ms and output latency of 5.397 ms. I am getting those numbers from Cubase because I don't know how else to find it.

In cubase, I swapped to the "Generic Low Latency ASIO Driver" and the latency went to 21.315 ms in/out. I went to the control panel for that thing but not totally sure how to adjust the buffer. It's just showing as small.

To be honest I don't see the point in using such a vastly inferior ASIO driver. I assume ASIO4ALL would be a much better option. I'm not very knowledgeable in this area but my assumption is that you want to find the best ASIO driver you can but at the very least not bother with the built-in driver. I don't have ASIO4ALL on here so I can't test that.

D
davick Offline OP
OP Offline
D
At 128 it's showing input latency of 6.168 ms and output latency of 5.397 ms. I am getting those numbers from Cubase because I don't know how else to find it.

In cubase, I swapped to the "Generic Low Latency ASIO Driver" and the latency went to 21.315 ms in/out. I went to the control panel for that thing but not totally sure how to adjust the buffer. It's just showing as small.

To be honest I don't see the point in using such a vastly inferior ASIO driver. I assume ASIO4ALL would be a much better option. I'm not very knowledgeable in this area but my assumption is that you want to find the best ASIO driver you can but at the very least not bother with the built-in driver. I don't have ASIO4ALL on here so I can't test that.

Sure, ASIO4ALL is much better but it also depends on the interface drivers to reduce latency, you have good numbers I guess you use the g14 with ryzen 9, right?
I am planning to buy one and then I will use it with ableton. Pathbreaker

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
May I ask the question : are ASIO4ALL and « Generic Low Latency ASIO Driver » tried with the same buffer length ?

21ms at let’s say 128 samples seems huge to me.

Yamaha CLP150, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq

Hi Pathbreaker, can you adjust the buffer of the Generic Low Latency ASIO Driver and test it again?

Hard at work while waiting for my dream DP....
V
V
Davick: I don't have experience with Rog g15, but have a brand new asus zenbook um433 ryzen5. Different league of laptop... But I am unable to use it for any VST... Constant cracks and slurred sound. Pianoteq, garritan, reaper, you name it. Asio4all does not help... An older asus zenbook (intel i5 5250u, maybe?) runs everything almost flawlessly (with asio4all... Any other driver is a nightmare).

I don't have an audio interface so I don't know if that would help.

This is juat to say that do not take g14 experience as an indication thta g15 will perform as well or better.

D
davick Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by vagfilm
Davick: I don't have experience with Rog g15, but have a brand new asus zenbook um433 ryzen5. Different league of laptop... But I am unable to use it for any VST... Constant cracks and slurred sound. Pianoteq, garritan, reaper, you name it. Asio4all does not help... An older asus zenbook (intel i5 5250u, maybe?) runs everything almost flawlessly (with asio4all... Any other driver is a nightmare).

This is juat to say that do not take g14 experience as an indication thta g15 will perform as well or better.

I think the problem is the asio4All driver, I have read reviews about that problem with that specific driver, I think that with an audio interface it would work but I want to be sure so that my purchase is not wasted (vagfilm)

Originally Posted by vagfilm

I think the problem is the asio4All driver, I have read reviews about that problem with that specific driver, I think that with an audio interface it would work but I want to be sure so that my purchase is not wasted (vagfilm)

I have used a weaker laptop the SAMSUNG NP305U1A , with a dual core A-series AMD processor, didn't have issues with the ASIO4ALL drivers. Now using desktop on i5 4th gen with 8g ram, all running smoothly.

Hard at work while waiting for my dream DP....
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Sure, ASIO4ALL is much better but it also depends on the interface drivers to reduce latency, you have good numbers I guess you use the g14 with ryzen 9, right?
I am planning to buy one and then I will use it with ableton. Pathbreaker

Yes, this is on the g14 with ryzen 9. I started fresh by disconnecting the usb audio interface and starting a new project in cubase with the generic asio driver. The software is perfectly playable and I don't really perceive latency. Cubase reports it as 20 ms. If I run the standalone aria player, I don't get to choose the buffer size. It's only offering 441 as a choice. This is playable but I'm not finding how to read the latency from the aria player.

Originally Posted by josh_sounds
Hi Pathbreaker, can you adjust the buffer of the Generic Low Latency ASIO Driver and test it again?
I'm not really sure how to adjust the buffer any lower. When I open the config for the Generic Low Latency Driver Setup, it offers me the lowest setting of "small" which shows as 10 ms. I can only adjust it upwards from there. Does this sound familiar?

The takeaway is that the generic driver isn't as bad as I thought but the options are very limited. I also have a Realtek ASIO driver showing but I couldn't get it to work in either application.

D
davick Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thanks PathBreaker, I have cleared my doubts regarding this, many people told me that they had many problems with this equipment but I suppose it must be because the equipment they had was defective from the factory.
One last thing, did you change the ssd storage so that it reads you faster when opening the vst? Because as you know, the ssd that comes from the factory in paper is slow compared to others

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I didn't change anything.

I haven't experienced any problems related to midi/latency/VST in the short time I've used it for that. There were some general system issues related to display/graphics and other drivers and windows updates early on but I think those are the kinds of things that happen early in the life of new hardware. I did have to do a full windows reset at one point. Everything has been smooth since then.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I didn't change anything.

I should have said that the samples are slow to load in a new session. No faster than my previous laptop. I haven't applied the antivirus adjustments. I usually just grab a snack.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
First digital piano - F-701 vs P515
by Sebeto - 06/19/21 09:52 AM
Why do great concert halls buy new?
by Ppianissimo - 06/19/21 09:35 AM
Kawai MP11SE successor thoughts
by Quatschmacher - 06/19/21 09:35 AM
Vintage Vibe piano
by adamcz - 06/19/21 08:40 AM
I can only play my own piano!
by spammy - 06/19/21 08:27 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,600
Posts3,105,107
Members101,856
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission