2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
43 members (Boboulus, CyberGene, Cutec, brennbaer, Alan3666, Carey, chaplincap, EssBrace, Evgeny 85, BlakeOR, 5 invisible), 1,343 guests, and 620 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 128 of 147 1 2 126 127 128 129 130 146 147
F
F
Originally Posted by entonio
Originally Posted by Suki0650
Is there any way to downgrade the firmware on th CA79 to see if some issues were actually caused by the firmware upgrade?
Thanks.

Hold on there. I don't know specifics, but in general it's not guaranteed that firmware can be downgraded. Even if you download the previous version, you may end up with a bricked piano.
If this case is known to be different, my apologies.

From what I can infer, the internal memory is completely overwritten, only the noiseless seems to write only a portion. The apk, surely can be downgraded as this is a bundle. Correct me if I'm wrong.

E
E
It's completely wrong to judge a user interface on the basis of whether it uses a touchscreen or buttons.
Physical buttons always offer a much better experience than touchscreens - but they are much more limited. I wouldn't want a physical keyboard on my phone, but I wouldn't want the power button replaced by something on the screen.
Ideally, there would be a small number of buttons for essential functions which the player would prefer to access quickly via muscle memory, and the rest would be handled by the screen. The buttons might even be on the right while the screen would remain on the left.
Speaking of a device I know, the Roland FP-90x has a lot of buttons and the user experience with them leaves a lot to be desired. I don't think the people who design these things ever actually use them. The exact same buttons might work great of their functionality were changed.
In contrast, the Korg 01/W is a masterpiece of a button-based interface.
There is a whole branch of design called UI engineering, but most companies just don't even know it.

R
R
I have an ebony model and I will admit I was miffed when I found out it did not turn off as advertised, but its not really a deal breaker.
Its barely visible and once I start playing I don't even see it.

By the way, contrary to stated before the Roland buttons can be hidden when playing and it makes a nice finish. and I suspect those ugly big buttons will last much longer then the screen on the CA.

I still love my CA.

Ron

Originally Posted by mmathew
Originally Posted by Pete14
The screen is tucked to the left corner (basically out of sight), and this is much better than Roland’s lazy approach which still, in this day and age, is using huge buttons/slider running from edge to edge; not tucked to the side but right in your face.

Well, Pete, it is actually important to, I suspect, a lot of people. If implemented correctly (i.e., it turns OFF), that area would provide a seamless polished look, much like the surface of a grand piano. Imagine that for buyers who went with the Ebony Polish option - it would be an amazing look! And for people who like to play in a dim environment, with dim lighting on the keys alone (this gives a very intimate experience) - that screen staying lit IS a deal breaker.

Again, an "unavailable" feature is understood and accepted by buyers before they make the purchase. A feature that doesn't work as expected is not something buyers want, from a premium piano maker like Kawai.

When one buys Kawai, they simply want the best. No compromises. It really is that - Kawai is a brand separate from the other two - in that they put everything into pianos only. In a sense, it is an exotic brand.

The CA79/CA99 has tarnished the reputation of Kawai.

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Okay, I have a proposition: let’s get rid of all buttons/sliders and touchscreen(s), and for that matter, even the volume knob!

And I’m also talking about the power on/off button; yes, that also has to go!

Everything will be controlled from our smart devices; except for volume and power on/off.

For volume we will use a ‘key’ combination: hold lower-most “A” down whilst tapping upper-most “C” for volume up, or upper-most “B” for volume down.

For power on/off: “Alexa, power piano on/off” (Alexa built-in).

That’s it; we’re done!

Who’s with me? laugh

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
that area would provide a seamless polished look, much like the surface of a grand piano.

Originally Posted by entonio
Physical buttons always offer a much better experience than touchscreens - but they are much more limited. <…> Ideally, there would be a small number of buttons for essential functions which the player would prefer to access quickly via muscle memory, and the rest would be handled by the screen.

It seems that Kawai once understood this (CS11):
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Physical buttons, screen, cover for a clean and authentic look.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pete14
Everything will be controlled from our smart devices; except for volume and power on/off.
With a Midi over Bluetooth dongle and the SmartPianist app, my N1X is near that.

The drawback : when connected, the display shows « con » and the buttons are disabled. Then all is controlled with the smart device but I can’t start the recorder or run some advanced functions (local control on/off) then I prefer to use the buttons with my manual not that faraway.

Yamaha CLP150, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by 9190

*** I LOVE IT ***

A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G. K. Chesterton
Originally Posted by 9190

I like it too.

I would take it a step further and have it horizontally across the board.

It would be like the FP90X but with a long cover.

I prefer buttons over touch screen.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
- Buttons on hardware.
- Touch screen on phone/smart devices.

In terms of functionality, it's admittedly impossible to offer full functionality on both. But with the above as a design principle, Kawai can strive to provide a good enough balance between the two. This would also allow Kawai to concentrate on what they do best - build quality, key action, sounds.

Alas, I think we are derailing, if not already.

So,
The call to Kawai is to release a major update to the UI and software that will help all owners. Even an acknowledgement from them will do wonders to the community, at this point.

A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G. K. Chesterton
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
...you didn’t hear the complaints?

People were complaining about the ‘cover’ making a squeaky sound when opening, and how it looked nice when closed but when opened it looked hideous; oh yeah, they also complained that the cover rattled and made rattling noises when pounding away at the Rach III!

- Buttons on hardware.
- Touch screen on phone/smart devices.

In terms of functionality, it's admittedly impossible to offer full functionality on both. But with the above as a design principle, Kawai can strive to provide a good enough balance between the two. This would also allow Kawai to concentrate on what they do best - build quality, key action, sounds.

Alas, I think we are derailing, if not already.

So,
The call to Kawai is to release a major update to the UI and software that will help all owners. Even an acknowledgement from them will do wonders to the community, at this point.

Actually, I don't think we are derailing.

Yes short term they need to fix the UI.

But long term that cover is a good idea.

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Did you not read what I said above?

We complained about the cover, too!

Don’t you see, all we do is complain and nag about this and about that; and soon as ‘this’ or ‘that’ is corrected/changed/improved, we complain about the ‘other’!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Well, @Pete14, if you insist:

Squeaking & rattling covers are easily fixed by owner. A drop of oil, tighten a loose screw.

The issues reported thus far re: UI and software are not fixable by owners themselves. There even are some owners asking for source code so they can go ahead and fix it on their own.

G. K. Chesterton
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
I know, but someone decided to fix the UI situation with a rattling cover:

“Yes short term they need to fix the UI”.
“But long term that cover is a good idea”.

I’ve been through this once, the ‘rattling cover’, and I don’t know if I can face it again!

“It squeaks, it rattles; no, it’s a rattling squeak”.

...and I don’t know if I can face it again......

I
I
Are we all forgetting the biggest u.i problem.

Per key adjustments!

A feature that the previous models had and no longer do.

A feature Kawai James said and I quote "will be implemented with a forthcoming update" over a year ago.

But that update never came and likely never will.

Last edited by InspiredByKawai; 04/29/21 04:24 PM.
I
I
I much prefer the look of these pedals compared to the current ca line up. More authentic and traditional upright acoustic feature which has been taken away and downgraded to the more typical cheaper looking digital pedal setup that elongates out of the base.

Last edited by InspiredByKawai; 04/29/21 04:27 PM.
G
Online Content
G
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Originally Posted by Meap6
Hi James,

I too recalled you mentioned something about the backlight fix, so I went back to look for a bit. You stated the following:

Originally Posted by Kawai James
Hello ppiioottrr,

Originally Posted by ppiioottrr
1. the LCD backlight does not turn off - I wonder if Kawai can fix it or maybe they haven't envisioned a possibility to completely turn off the LCD (the greyish light is really visible in a darker room!)

Yes, this is planned for a future software update.

from this post:
https://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthr...i-ca79-ca99-owners-club.html#Post3045413

While there is no explicit promise, it certainly seemed it was on the menu for the dev team, so I can understand why Gianluca would feel cheated...

Thanks for picking out that specific post.

As you say, this is not an explicit promise, however in retrospect I ought to have perhaps phrased my response a little differently, e.g.:

Yes, this is under consideration for a future software update.

Once again, my apologies to Gianluca if he feels cheated.

Kind regards,
James
x

James, I don't want to get into controversy over the meaning of the word "promise".
When an employee of a company positively states that a feature will be implemented (and this has happened several times in the pages of this thread), users take your words very seriously.
And if, for reasons we do not know, there is a retraction of the previous claims, many users can feel cheated.
Your first affirmative answers (regarding the blacklight turn off), were accurate and left no doubt about this implementation.
Your last answer, on the other hand, hints at more than a doubt about the future implementation.
You also said that a future implementation was the ability to adjust the voicing parameters note by note.
Perhaps this implementation is also in doubt today?
In the past it was not in doubt.

I allow myself to give some advice: for the next future models, it will be better to give answers like this: "Kawai is aware of user requests, but I cannot guarantee that these will be met".

F
F
There even are some owners asking for source code so they can go ahead and fix it on their own.

Here‘s one. If that thing wouldn’t be so expensive I’d buy another one to experiment and try it anyways. Code is always legible, group bits into 8, convert to hex, translate to assembly and there you go. If I recall correctly: the storage writer during update said 0xFFFF, that seems manageable…

R
R
The issues reported thus far re: UI and software are not fixable by owners themselves. There even are some owners asking for source code so they can go ahead and fix it on their own.

A few people have mentioned source code. Kawai used GPL'd source and are obligated to make it available. It's at the link below. It includes build instructions. I don't know if it contains just the GPL'd code, or everything required to actually build something useful. Firmware, UI, or both? The build instructions finish with "After compilation has finished, get boot.img, misc.img, recovery.img, and system.img."

https://www.kawai-global.com/support/downloads/

Kawai CA79 (arrived Nov 28, 2020), Roland EP7-II (1993)
Page 128 of 147 1 2 126 127 128 129 130 146 147

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
.nausicaa OP. (elementary version)
by WarDesu - 07/23/21 07:09 PM
Selling the sizzle if not the steak
by cfhosford - 07/23/21 06:25 PM
For the Experts
by Epee - 07/23/21 12:43 PM
Another question about piano positioning
by Cassia - 07/23/21 12:16 PM
1992 Yamaha C3 vs new CX2
by MusterMark - 07/23/21 10:19 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics208,177
Posts3,115,879
Members102,217
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission