2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
60 members (clothearednincompo, ChristofS, 1957, Bill McKaig,RPT, butchkoch, anotherscott, brennbaer, 12 invisible), 1,362 guests, and 493 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Thanks dogperson!

I'll put the image here:

[Linked Image]

ETA: So, I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't want either the waterfall or diving board style. After all these years of playing, I would definitely notice it and for big chords, runs, etc., I bet it would trip me up.

ETA part 2: Ok, I just read the comments on the link that dogperson shared, and now I think I might have to change my mind re the waterfall style... I can "play" a tenth in my left hand (not in my RH, I think that's because I played classical guitar in HS, which improved my LH but did nothing for my RH).... Anyway, I play a tenth w/ LH but it's a struggle and I have to be playing super slow. I am wondering if the waterfall style would make it easier...

Interesting to think about!

See, these super old threads can sometimes be good to bring back!

Last edited by ShiroKuro; 04/25/21 04:00 PM.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
E
E
Originally Posted by Sweelinck
Waterfall style keys would not offer any advantage on a hammer weight keybed and instrument with varying dynamics because it still would not support palm glissandos very well.

That, however, doesn't tell me what disadvantage they would bring.
The extra millimetre on piano keys doesn't convince me as important, but if someone can vouch for it then I'm willing to listen.
All else being equal, I immensely prefer the look of waterfall keys.

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
At this point, the question is moot. Pianos are not being made with waterfall keys any longer. The material that they were made of has to be handled as hazardous material, as it is highly flammable, and can be unstable, like acetate film.

Semipro Tech
S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by entonio
Waterfall style keys would not offer any advantage on a hammer weight keybed and instrument with varying dynamics because it still would not support palm glissandos very well.

The extra millimetre on piano keys doesn't convince me as important, but if someone can vouch for it then I'm willing to listen.

One disadvantage for piano keys would be higher cost with no compensating benefit. Waterfall actions are usually implemented on electronic organs with shorter keys than piano keys. Many pipe organs have diving board style keys.

S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
The extra mm of keytop on a piano key also means that it protrudes beyond neighboring keys when it is depressed. This may extend interval reach.

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G

One disadvantage for piano keys would be higher cost with no compensating benefit. Waterfall actions are usually implemented on electronic organs with shorter keys than piano keys. Many pipe organs have diving board style keys.

Why is it that waterfall keys would be more expensive?

S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
The front faces of the keys would need to be covered just like the tops and the front face and top would have to meet with a seamless, smooth transition. There is much less finishing work on the keysticks with just a keytop that overhangs the key a little.

Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by gwing

Why is it that waterfall keys would be more expensive?

BDB explained in his post that the material to make the waterfall was highly flammable and no longer used

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
BDB explained in his post that the material to make the waterfall was highly flammable and no longer used.
I don't think it would have to use that material.

B
BDB Offline
B
It has been a while since I have seen a piano with waterfall keys, but I think that there was a slight radius to the front edge of the wood. The material was undoubtedly heated to curve over that edge, so it would conform to that curve. (The heating would be a fire hazard in itself.) If it were replaced with a molded keytop, the radius would have to be more closely controlled.

But really, there is no need for waterfall keys any longer. Keytops come with key fronts now, so there is almost no chance that someone will catch their finger on the lip of a key and lift the top off. They could be made, but they look really cheap, and there is more of a chance that your fingers could slip off.

Semipro Tech
E
E
The motivation for the question was largely that Yamaha put out its YC61 with gorgeous waterfall keys, but then the YC73 and YC88 have regular boring keys. In fairness one may ask what's the purpose of the YC73 and YC88 even - as it stands they're organs with piano keyboards. If they did combine waterfall keys with piano action, then they'd have a distinctive feature.

S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
The YC61 action is optimized for organ-- semi-weighted waterfall action. The YC88 action is optimized for piano-- graded hammer weight triple sensor action. The YC73 is optimized for Rhodes EP-- balanced hammer weight action. All three keyboards offer pianos, organs, and EPs. The action style and number of keys on each keyboard is optimized one of the three sound engines in each case. A waterfall key design offers no advantage with a hammer weight action.

E
E
There would be the advantge of being unique - seeing as they already are organs with piano actions, regardless of the included sounds.

The best I've seen so far is that the edge on piano keys may help reach. I can't argue with that, I just wonder if that's really a factor for the pieces most players play.

S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
Unique does not imply superior. Waterfall key surfaces support organ techniques that do not work on weighted actions.

B
BDB Offline
B
Waterfall keys on pianos look cheap, because they were, and if you need to have an awkward stretch, your finger may slide off.

Semipro Tech
S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
There would be the advantge of being unique - seeing as they already are organs with piano actions, regardless of the included sounds.

The YC88 is a digital stage piano that also has a virtual drawbar organ and electric piano samples.

The Kawai MP7SE similarly has a virtual drawbar organ.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BDB
It has been a while since I have seen a piano with waterfall keys, but I think that there was a slight radius to the front edge of the wood. The material was undoubtedly heated to curve over that edge, so it would conform to that curve. (The heating would be a fire hazard in itself.) If it were replaced with a molded keytop, the radius would have to be more closely controlled.

But really, there is no need for waterfall keys any longer. Keytops come with key fronts now, so there is almost no chance that someone will catch their finger on the lip of a key and lift the top off. They could be made, but they look really cheap, and there is more of a chance that your fingers could slip off.

I read once about pianos being shipped out to tropcal places, usually within the British Empire. they had rounded keys to prevent the key tops being affected adversely by the weather out there. I think they were pinned in some way on the vertical surface. Somebody confirm this? There must be a few o' those still in India . . .

Last edited by peterws; 04/30/21 01:42 PM.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha SH1 loosing loudness?
by ChristofS - 08/01/21 07:31 AM
Advice For Digital Piano for Keyboard Player
by BennyY - 08/01/21 07:11 AM
Recital #63 - Call for Submissions
by Sam S - 08/01/21 05:58 AM
Under-piano pedal wood replacement
by Js367 - 08/01/21 01:25 AM
Everett upright Regulation
by wenhen90 - 07/31/21 06:57 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics208,312
Posts3,118,026
Members102,295
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission