2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
85 members (brdwyguy, Bett, anono89, 36251, anotherscott, accordeur, antune, 15 invisible), 965 guests, and 441 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
OP Offline
C
I’m really enjoying exploring jazz chord extensions!

I have been a Bill Evans fan for 50 years. There is some info out there on what he does and why. I do have a couple of book transcriptions of his performances, which are very interesting.

Jack Reilly’s book ‘The Harmony of Bill Evans’ is available at *deleted by moderator*
I downloaded it to my iPad books.

Anyone using an instruction site, books or particular YouTube videos on Bill Evans style of soloing and chord playing?

He played Debussy, Ravel, Chopin and others. Curious about his classical influences. I also know he was very conflicted on whether to be a classical or jazz player when younger.

Bill Evans makes me love my piano smile

Last edited by BB Player; 04/27/21 08:37 PM. Reason: Right there on page 2 it says “Copyright 1992, all rights reserved”
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CaseyVancouver
I’m really enjoying exploring jazz chord extensions!

I have been a Bill Evans fan for 50 years. There is some info out there on what he does and why. I do have a couple of book transcriptions of his performances, which are very interesting.

Jack Reilly’s book ‘The Harmony of Bill Evans’ is available at *deleted by moderator*

Anyone using an instruction site, books or particular YouTube videos on Bill Evans style of soloing and chord playing?

He played Debussy, Ravel, Chopin and others. Curious about his classical influences. I also know he was very conflicted on whether to be a classical or jazz player when younger.

Bill Evans makes me love my piano smile
Oh Boy! You and I have much in common! I have been a huge Bill Evans fan since I discovered him back in 2011 (I know, a little late to the party). I absolutely fell in love with his playing, his compositions and everything about how he played the piano. I also have the Jack Reilly book and it is very informative. I have amassed a huge collection of transcriptions of Bill's compositions. The best and most accurate are done by a fellow named Pascal Wetzel. He has his own website. He has what I call elephant ears and has note for note transcriptions of Bill's tunes. Just like you, Bill Evans makes me love my piano even more than I already did. I learn a lot about what he does by playing his music but I have always wanted to learn jazz improvisation. Try as I might, I just don't get it. Maybe I am missing that special "thing" although I have been told that it can be taught. Thanks for posting. Nice to know another Evans lover!

Last edited by BB Player; 04/27/21 08:38 PM. Reason: Deleted quote of link to copyrighted material

Barbara
...without music, no life...
J
jjo Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Hal Leonard recently published the Bill Evans Omnibook which is chock full of very high quality transcriptions. Remarkably, however, it never credits the transcriber(s)! Sometimes I study the transcriptions to learn about voicings, rhythm, etc. But sometimes I just play (slowly) through them just to bath in the luscious harmonies.

I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
Coincidentally, I just stumbled on a Kent Hewitt tutorial on Bill Evans harmony.

This one focuses on "When I Fall In Love". It appears Hewitt has several more of these.

Last edited by indigo_dave; 04/28/21 08:36 AM.
P
P
The 'problem' with Bill Evans is that he makes it sound so easy. When trying to create those sounds your left hand needs to be playing rootless chords.
For example, when playing say, G7 (G+B+D+F = 1+3+5+7) you first need to isolate the 3 and 7, in this case B+F and then add alterations. These are notes not in the basic chord. There are 4 alterations: flat 9, sharp 9, sharp 11 and flat 13. These notes within a G7 chord are A flat, A sharp, C sharp and E flat.
So a typical rootless left hand voicing might be F+A sharp+B+E flat (7+sharp 9+3+flat 13).
I hope that hasn't given you a headache.
Paul at www.learnjazzpianoonline.com

C
OP Offline
C
Thank you Barbara for the Pascal Wetzel info!

I think the key to improvisation is don’t be afraid to copy others and change/apply it to your tunes. That’s what the great players have traditionally done. The brain seems to work different when there is no music sheet in front of us, so learn the tune and improvise on it (make up stuff!). Gigs I play (on upright bass) with charts vs without always are less imaginative. Just my opinion of course.

Apologies for including a link to copyrighted material.

Jjo, that Omnibook looks awesome. Wetzel may be the transcriber. My copy is on the way!

Dave, I will look into Hewitt’s tutorials. Thank you!

Paul, thanks for that. I find it comforting that Evans leaves the root notes and time keeping out. He lets the bass player do that root stuff, and the drummer do the time. The bass player gets to interplay melodies with piano. As a bass player myself I love this. I won’t get any headaches!

N
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by CaseyVancouver

I looked through this book again , and I am not very happy with his analysis, although he mentions partial tones. For example, in Time Remembered, EX.5, the first chord is defined as Ebmaj \ 9 \ # 11 \ G; however, from an acoustic point of view, we have Gm7 \ b6 \ doubled 9 in an position , in my definition, raise 2 and 4 (from the lower voice), that is, the main skeleton is GDBbF, A is an overtone from the lower D, and Eb is in an independent acoustic ratio with Bb and G. The lower A has the dual function of the racy tone with Bb combination, and also helps bring out the lead voice in this jungle.

[Linked Image]

Of course, in major IIIm7 replaces I maj7 with or without additions.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Nahum
I looked through this book again , and I am not very happy with his analysis, although he mentions partial tones. For example, in Time Remembered, EX.5, the first chord is defined as Ebmaj \ 9 \ # 11 \ G; however, from an acoustic point of view, we have Gm7 \ b6 \ doubled 9 in an position , in my definition, raise 2 and 4 (from the lower voice), that is, the main skeleton is GDBbF, A is an overtone from the lower D, and Eb is in an independent acoustic ratio with Bb and G. The lower A has the dual function of the racy tone with Bb combination, and also helps bring out the lead voice in this jungle.

[Linked Image]

Of course, in major IIIm7 replaces I maj7 with or without additions.

Is that from the eighth measure?

N
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by emenelton
Perhaps this is a version author's of the chords in bars 11 and 22.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Perhaps this is a version author's of the chords in bars 11 and 22.

a repeat of the gm7#5 vs Eb maj7 add9 #11 1st inversion?

Last edited by emenelton; 04/29/21 04:36 AM.
C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by indigo_dave
Coincidentally, I just stumbled on a Kent Hewitt tutorial on Bill Evans harmony.

This one focuses on "When I Fall In Love". It appears Hewitt has several more of these.

The Kent Hewitt videos are brilliant!

N
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
N
Only theoretically on paper. In reality, combinations of natural fifths G-D and Bb-F give beyond any doubt the specific gravity of the root to the lower G. This is exactly in line with Paul Hindemith's theory of the hierarchy of intervals and their inversions, based on the acoustic nature of the overtones and combinational tones that determine which sound of the interval is fundamental.
"" ... The principle of determining the main tone proposed by Hindemith is deduced from the different meanings of the intervals of row 2. [Linked Image] Just as the main tone of an interval gains predominance over another pitch, the main tone of one of the intervals included in the chord subordinates the rest of the sounds to its influence, permeates the entire chord. This is the harmonically strongest interval available in the chord. According to row 2, the natural fifth is the strongest harmoniously , the minor second and the major seventh are the weakest. The rest of the intervals occupy intermediate positions - their harmonic strength decreases with distance from the natural fifth. From here, the following rules for determining the main tone are established:
- If the chord has a natural fifth, then its lower tone is the main of the whole voicing; the same is the case with the thirds and sevenths , if there is no other, stronger (in accordance with row 2) interval in the chord.
- With the fourth, sixths and seconds - on the contrary: if they are the strongest intervals in the chords, then their main tone is the upper .
- Of the pitches doubled in an octave, only one matters, namely the lower one.
-If the strongest interval occurs more than once in the voicing, then the lowest pitch is determined as the main one. "

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Was the
Only theoretically on paper. In reality, combinations of natural fifths G-D and Bb-F give beyond any doubt the specific gravity of the root to the lower G. This is exactly in line with Paul Hindemith's theory of the hierarchy of intervals and their inversions, based on the acoustic nature of the overtones and combinational tones that determine which sound of the interval is fundamental.
"" ... The principle of determining the main tone proposed by Hindemith is deduced from the different meanings of the intervals of row 2. [Linked Image] Just as the main tone of an interval gains predominance over another pitch, the main tone of one of the intervals included in the chord subordinates the rest of the sounds to its influence, permeates the entire chord. This is the harmonically strongest interval available in the chord. According to row 2, the natural fifth is the strongest harmoniously , the minor second and the major seventh are the weakest. The rest of the intervals occupy intermediate positions - their harmonic strength decreases with distance from the natural fifth. From here, the following rules for determining the main tone are established:
- If the chord has a natural fifth, then its lower tone is the main of the whole voicing; the same is the case with the thirds and sevenths , if there is no other, stronger (in accordance with row 2) interval in the chord.
- With the fourth, sixths and seconds - on the contrary: if they are the strongest intervals in the chords, then their main tone is the upper .
- Of the pitches doubled in an octave, only one matters, namely the lower one.
-If the strongest interval occurs more than once in the voicing, then the lowest pitch is determined as the main one. "

In Evans lead sheet the Ebmaj7 occurs twice with an A natural in the melody. Is the chord you noted with the Gmi7 in the bass clef and the b6 and #11 in the treble; is that how Evans voiced it?

N
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
N
is that how Evans voiced it?
No - my carelessness. . Now I see that these are six author's modifications of the BE's original voicing from bar 7 ; however, the problem remains and even grows: triads and sevenths in the closed position do not change their harmonic meaning depending on the inversions. However, in spread position chords, the acoustic forces begin to act stronger than the theoretical ones. Already voicing AE \ CG will hardly be rightfully called C6.Thus, in this modification, voicing sounds without a doubt like G-7 \ 9 \ b13, that is, Eb is tension, and not a root. However, I also love modifying chords; searched, and found a combination of pitches that sound like a tragic Eb maj: GEbA \ BbDFA.
And yet, this voicing can be seen as an inversion, not of a tonal major chord, but an Eb Lydian modal pitch set = phonism. In this case, the lowest tone and inner intervals do not change anything.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
is that how Evans voiced it?
No - my carelessness. . Now I see that these are six author's modifications of the BE's original voicing from bar 7 ; however, the problem remains and even grows: triads and sevenths in the closed position do not change their harmonic meaning depending on the inversions. However, in spread position chords, the acoustic forces begin to act stronger than the theoretical ones. Already voicing AE \ CG will hardly be rightfully called C6.Thus, in this modification, voicing sounds without a doubt like G-7 \ 9 \ b13, that is, Eb is tension, and not a root. However, I also love modifying chords; searched, and found a combination of pitches that sound like a tragic Eb maj: GEbA \ BbDFA.
And yet, this voicing can be seen as an inversion, not of a tonal major chord, but an Eb Lydian modal pitch set = phonism. In this case, the lowest tone and inner intervals do not change anything.

You’re correct about the gm7 chord; it was an intellectual birthing of one possible alternate voicing but to me not an acceptable one.
If you drop the Eb it becomes a nice ‘Gmi7 add9’ sound, especially with the octave ‘A’s’. If you drop the ‘D’, leave the ‘Eb’ as is and drop the top ‘A’ also, it becomes a mu chord like the other post; no?

Last edited by emenelton; 05/01/21 10:41 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai upright shortage in Canada?
by DeeZee - 09/19/21 05:55 PM
Korg SV-1 Sustain Pedal problem
by Herwiberde - 09/19/21 02:46 PM
JoJo Siwa's Baldwin grand
by ShiroKuro - 09/19/21 01:50 PM
Opinions on the CA49 for classical piano music only ?
by GaiaImpact - 09/19/21 01:16 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,192
Posts3,133,601
Members102,770
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission