2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
55 members (An Old Square, 36251, anotherscott, APianistHasNoName, Abdol, ambrozy, Andrew E., accordeur, 16 invisible), 619 guests, and 473 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
JBishop Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Tried searching the forum for info on the NV5 but no luck. Thinking of buying one and want some current owners opinions on them.

E
EPW Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
Here's another one:

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2897901/1.html

Are you sure you searched for NV5? I think there are at least three threads on it.

"I think it's the excitement only a free man can feel; a free man at the start of a long journey, whose conclusion is uncertain." -- Morgan Freeman's character, "Red", in The Shawshank Redemption
M
M
Returned mine for full refund. Soundboard buzz. If it doesn't work when turning it on we don't want it. It should be acceptvble with a factory default config. I am not interested in spending hours to tune the piano with myriad settings to get sample and hardware problems to become "OK"

Look elsewhere.

K
K
Originally Posted by JBishop
Tried searching the forum for info on the NV5 but no luck. Thinking of buying one and want some current owners opinions on them.

What will you be playing? As someone who plays advanced classical, I would never be fully satisfied with an upright action, even a good one. That's why I got an NV10.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Originally Posted by msromike
Soundboard buzz.

Please check that the power cable is not vibrating against part of the soundboard and/or the cabinet. It may also be worthwhile touching areas of the cabinet around the soundboard just in case these are vibrating unintentionally.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
Tyr Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Returned mine for full refund. Soundboard buzz. If it doesn't work when turning it on we don't want it. It should be acceptvble with a factory default config. I am not interested in spending hours to tune the piano with myriad settings to get sample and hardware problems to become "OK"

Look elsewhere.

You are the first person I've read about who had this problem with the NV5. To advise someone against the instrument is a bit excessive, don't you think?

Kawai: NV5 | MP11SE
Pianoteq 7 Pro | Garritan CFX Full | Vienna Imperial | Keyscape Full | Ravenscroft 275 - Modern U - Model D - AG | Minigrand
It's hardly excessive.
Originally Posted by Tyr
I am not interested in spending hours to tune the piano with myriad settings to get sample and hardware problems to become "OK".
Look elsewhere.
You are the first person I've read about who had this problem with the NV5. To advise someone against the instrument is a bit excessive, don't you think?
I think that accepting defective merchandise is a failing. And paying around $10,000 for defective merchandise is digusting.

"Look elsewhere" is a perfect and concise suggestion. Is Kawai listening? They had better step up their game.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
It's hardly excessive.
Originally Posted by Tyr
I am not interested in spending hours to tune the piano with myriad settings to get sample and hardware problems to become "OK".
Look elsewhere.
I think that accepting defective merchandise is a failing. And paying around $10,000 for defective merchandise is digusting.

"Look elsewhere" is a perfect and concise suggestion. Is Kawai listening? They had better step up their game.

I'm tending to agree, of late. And whenever I give a "look elsewhere" suggestion, I'll give it very specifically, to very specific models.

Buyers who can afford high-end instruments want the very best - this is quite normal. They don't tolerate issues. They'll maybe tolerate small issues. And they definitely will not tolerate a lack of support and lack of enthusiasm from a manufacturer to solve issues. That makes them (the buyers) look like fools and taken for granted. Thus they will simply take their business elsewhere - the DP world is a consumer's world.

Last edited by mmathew; 04/27/21 06:38 AM.

A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G. K. Chesterton
M
M
Originally Posted by Tyr

Look elsewhere.

Believe me we wanted this piano to work, badly. It looks stunning and the action is superb.

I can only comment on a sample size of one. If 99 other people that own the piano want to tell this gentleman to buy one, it certainly won't hurt my feelings.

The day the dealer said that they had discussed the problem with Kawai and that they had no further recommendations or solutions is the day we returned it. It actually was quite stressful since it was no small sum of money and I was quite anxious as to whether or not the dealer would even offer a refund.

So the silver lining is that Schmidt Piano in Denver is awesome and I cannot recommend them more highly to anyone looking for any Kawai piano. Our salesperson, Betsy Johnson, was particularly outstanding.

N
N
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Soundboard buzz.

Please check that the power cable is not vibrating against part of the soundboard and/or the cabinet. It may also be worthwhile touching areas of the cabinet around the soundboard just in case these are vibrating unintentionally also.

Kind regards,
James
x

The screw under the pedal is another potential source of buzz. If the screw is not under load (which is bad according to the user guide) it can vibrate and the buzz can be very loud indeed. Tightening the screw immediately eliminates the problem.

My wife has bought an NV5 about one year ago and has played it almost every day. We are very happy with the device. The only complaints that I have are that (at least) one of the two front feet should be adjustable to compensate for uneven floors and that the backlight of the screen cannot be switched off.

M
M

Look elsewhere.

In the spirit of fairness. After the piano was returned for refund, it was determined to be a loose power supply and not some inherent design flaw as I first suspected. Unfortunately, my wife decided not to repurchase the same unit. But I have to give credit to Kawai and the dealer for accepting the piano back for a refund, which as you know is not widely done in the industry.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai VPC-1 or Roland A88 MKII (or FP30X)?
by detektorosradio - 12/08/21 06:03 PM
Birdcage Piano Tuner needed in Virginia
by zander35 - 12/08/21 04:45 PM
Another "Which Midi Controller Should I Buy"
by cody.carrig - 12/08/21 04:05 PM
Chopin's Polonaise 26/2 and staccato duration
by Mati - 12/08/21 04:04 PM
How good is a Chickering 105 B concert grand?
by tommyhaha - 12/08/21 02:34 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,462
Posts3,151,652
Members103,560
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission