2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,172 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 207 of 237 1 2 205 206 207 208 209 236 237
Originally Posted by mmathew
Oh wow; didn't know/realize that this can be different! Thx for pointing it out.
It's in your user preferences: Maximum number of posts per page. It can be as few as 10, or as many as 50. smile

"I think it's the excitement only a free man can feel; a free man at the start of a long journey, whose conclusion is uncertain." -- Morgan Freeman's character, "Red", in The Shawshank Redemption
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
It would be more useful to know the post count, rather than the page count.

Some forums have post counts. This one does not. frown

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
About this thread : Replies: 4121 +1 (the initial post) + 1 (this post).

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
M
M
Ok, we have an appointment at our Yamaha dealer and they have a N1X in stock huzzah! (strange times where you have to have an appointment to go to a piano dealer, but I digress...)

I am assuming it can do BT Midi with the Yamaha adapter to use with an iPad in order to use software like Skoove and Flowkey? Because if it doesn't, that's going to be a deal breaker. I read the manual of the adapter and the piano and it seemed like it would do that.

We'll take the iPad to the appointment and hopefully the dealer will have the Yamaha BT midi in and out adapter on hand.

Speaking of adapters. Why would one need the WiFi adapter? to stream music to the piano?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by msromike
Ok, we have an appointment at our Yamaha dealer and they have a N1X in stock huzzah! (strange times where you have to have an appointment to go to a piano dealer, but I digress...)

I am assuming it can do BT Midi with the Yamaha adapter to use with an iPad in order to use software like Skoove and Flowkey? Because if it doesn't, that's going to be a deal breaker. I read the manual of the adapter and the piano and it seemed like it would do that.

We'll take the iPad to the appointment and hopefully the dealer will have the Yamaha BT midi in and out adapter on hand.

Speaking of adapters. Why would one need the WiFi adapter? to stream music to the piano?

If you're talking about this: https://usa.yamaha.com/products/music_production/accessories/md-bt01/index.html

I've used it to successfully connect to the Smart Pianist app. This should work with all MIDI compatible apps on iOS.

Re: WiFi adapter - I am not sure if the WiFi adapter is compatible with the N1X - I don't think so. AFAIK, this was discontinued. The page here seems to indicate the same.

Congrats on your imminent purchase :-)

A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G. K. Chesterton
P
P
What should we do to maintain the n1x well? Do we need to concern about humidity, dust, air circulation?

F
F
After months of lurking, I'm ecstatic to be joining the N1X club from Sydney, Australia! This is replacing a Kawai CA79 that I owned for less than year.

Some initial thoughts from my first day or so of owning this:

- The sound from the speakers is so much better than the CA79's weaker speaker system. Simply playing and listening to the sounds produced is a joy.
- The action in general feels much better and more realistic than the CA79, which I've always found too light. It does however, feel very different from the Millennium 3 action in the Kawai GL-20 piano I sometimes play on.
- Repetition speed on white keys is decent, but black keys seems significantly more challenging to perform fast repetitions on compared to the GL-20. I'm not sure if anyone has noticed this?

[Linked Image]

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Wow! I have to say, your view outclasses the piano smile

Just curious, did you try an NV-10, since you've played on and are familiar with the GL-20 and Millennium III action?

There have a been a few heated debates here about about how the N1X doesn't repeat notes as fast as other hybrids or the acoustics, but I honestly don't know what to make of them (is it a regulation thing, design characteristic, flaw, personal preference? The AvantGrands were more than fast enough for me, but I'm far from a pro...)...but you're not the first to mention this.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
T
T
Where did you manage to get hold of an N1X? Zero stock and impossible to try in Sydney!

M
mwf Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Repetition rate is not great on the n1x no, its quite effortless on the NV10 though and other kawai grands with the MIII action. Its a shame as I'd have definitely bought one if not for that handicap. I don't want an nv10 because i dont trust its reliability whatsoever, however its action is great, bad speakers though like the n1x, but possibly worse than the n1x. I can't imagine owning a n1x or nv10 would be better than my current CA99, it has a better speaker system than either of those hybrids.... Much more clarity and controlled output.

F
F
Originally Posted by Gombessa
Wow! I have to say, your view outclasses the piano smile

Just curious, did you try an NV-10, since you've played on and are familiar with the GL-20 and Millennium III action?

There have a been a few heated debates here about about how the N1X doesn't repeat notes as fast as other hybrids or the acoustics, but I honestly don't know what to make of them (is it a regulation thing, design characteristic, flaw, personal preference? The AvantGrands were more than fast enough for me, but I'm far from a pro...)...but you're not the first to mention this.

I did try an NV-10 briefly. I have to say the repetition speed on that did feel better (especially with black keys) and it felt slightly more responsive (or perhaps its just familiarity). However for whatever reason it still felt somewhat different to the the GL-20, whether if it's regulation or the way the sound is produced according to the sensors. Either way it wasn't worth an extra few thousand to me as it's approaching the cost of a GL-20, and I'm perfectly happy with the N1X as is.

Originally Posted by TTWK
Where did you manage to get hold of an N1X? Zero stock and impossible to try in Sydney!

I know at least 2 other stores that have the N1X in stock in Sydney. Feel free to PM me if you're in Sydney and looking.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
WHAT A WOW VIEW @fieryrage. With that view and the N1X, I'd be glued to the spot and be more motivated than ever tp practice!

Congratulations on your acquisition and here's to a long musical journey together with your N1X!

Cheers!

Originally Posted by fieryrage
[Linked Image]

Last edited by mmathew; 05/04/21 09:45 PM.

A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G. K. Chesterton
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Upgrades

- Piano Lamp (Gravity Dimmable)
- (Imported by Jansen) Piano Bench

[Linked Image]

G. K. Chesterton
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
fieryrage, congrats and welcome to the club! I’d love to have your view ❤️

Regarding repetition speed of black keys, yes there might be some truth to that. It’s definitely a weakness of the N1X. I played our old upright at my mom's house a few days ago and to my surprise the repetition speed seemed slightly better although it’s an upright action. However the keys felt like too spring-like, pushing back against my fingers, not unlike typical digital piano actions. As a result my dynamics control wasn’t that good and precise on the upright. That makes me think whether repetition speed is a compromise coming as a result of fast return of the keys, which in turn makes it more difficult to put precise velocity and to control dynamics…

Last edited by CyberGene; 05/04/21 11:24 PM.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
I was under the impression that ‘fast’ key return aided in repetition, but it seems like you’re saying it’s the opposite.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by mmathew
Upgrades

- Piano Lamp (Gravity Dimmable)

Nice! I really need a lamp like that.

I think it's now safe to say that I may be joining the list of N1X owners. I have a delivery date scheduled for this coming Monday. I went to try it out for a second time and was surprised to find that there was one available. I decided to take advantage of the opportunity. It's a huge upgrade from my Roland RP-301. Now I just have to prepare the space for it.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pete14
I was under the impression that ‘fast’ key return aided in repetition, but it seems like you’re saying it’s the opposite.
Yes, that’s what I said. Maybe couldn’t word it well. The fast return of the keys facilitates the repetition. That’s true even on an upright, provided you release keys fully which is what I did and I think that upright has slightly better repetition than the N1X. However that wouldn’t work for fast and quiet repetitions near the bottom (without releasing fully).

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Hmm, interesting.

From a pure layman’s perspective I’ve been pondering for a while if the upright action in the NU1X could make up for the lack of ‘gravity assist’ because it can theoretically return faster due to the fact that its key-bed is shallower than that of the N1X.

My thinking is that if the keys have less travel ‘down’ (shallow key-bed) they will travel less ‘up’ and therefore be ready for re-triggering (repetition) sooner than the key that travels more down/up due to the deeper key-bed.

I also associate this ‘phenomenon’ with ‘older’ grand pianos like the Pleyel that Chopin played. Rumor has it that the keys in this piano barely ‘traveled’ at all; hence, aiding in both repetition and overall playability (playing faster, for example).

Usually the cheap goods sell in quantity and the expensive ones in dribs and drabs.

But the N1X is looking to reverse that truism. It seems to be a best-seller.

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
The difference of repetition between an upright and a grand is not that huge. The real difference is the double repetition (repeat the key from let off point) and the less-springy feel of the grand. If your finger hits the key fast enough you can still do fast repetitions on an upright. It’s just that the keys on an upright need to bounce back fully.

I suspect the repetition of the N1X is due to the sensor but not the action regulation.

Piano: 1982 NY Steinway Model B, Yamaha AvantGrand N3X
VST(preference in order): VSL Synchron Pianos, Vienna Imperial, Garritan CFX, VI Labs Modern U, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq
Page 207 of 237 1 2 205 206 207 208 209 236 237

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission