2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
54 members (36251, APianistHasNoName, Abdol, ambrozy, Andrew E., accordeur, bsalad, Bill McKaig,RPT, 13 invisible), 653 guests, and 465 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
F
OP Offline
F
Pieces sometimes have suggested fingerings.
I sometimes change them for my hand size or other reasons.

I’m working on a grade 5 piece, La Chevaleresque.
Bar 9 suggests right hand starting with finger 1 (thumb).
I have watched several videos where the performer is using this fingering.
I can play some scales 4 octaves with correct fingering.
But I find this specific section ergonomically or physically difficult.
My arm and hand is in a weird position and feels restricted.
If I use finger 2 it becomes much easier as it shifts the entire hand and arm position.

Should I do whatever feels more comfortable?
Could that lead to problems with future pieces?
Is there something I can try with seating/positioning?

I will check with my piano teacher at my next lesson, maybe sooner, but would like to get suggestions, opinions and experiences.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
It is curious that you find this fingering difficult. I assume you play 1231234. Actually using 2 is more complicated though possible. There must be something with your position that may be wrong because that fingering is really quite natural.

You should definitely discuss with your teacher. Without visual it is difficult to give you a solid recommendation.

P
P
The most important thing is that your hands are relaxed and comfortable. Occasionally this means that you need to divert from recommended fingering and create your own alternative. However, you need to be very concious of why the fingering was recommended and why yours is better.

Etudes often have educational intentions when they recommend a fingering. You can spoil those by using a different fingering. If you are not able to play relaxed, maybe you are not ready for the piece?

I am saying this as general advice, not specific to bar #9 or your piece. Apply it at your own discretion.

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I agree that the fingering that results in the least tension while still allowing the necessary speed and articulation is the best choice. Remember that, frequently, suggested fingerings in scores are the suggestions of an editor, and few editors offer multiple fingerings. It would be difficult to accommodate every possibility. However, in some cases, only one fingering is practical.

You have to decide, if you can devise an alternate fingering to the one given, if it is better for you and why. Understand, too, the editor's suggested fingering before going out on your own. Also remember that fingerings that work at a slow, practice tempo are not necessarily the fingerings that work best when a passage is brought up to speed.

Once you have found a fingering that works for you and that you are convinced is the best, you should stick with it until it feels right. Many students fumble in performance because they constantly change fingerings while practicing, even when they have already found the best solution.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
F
F
Probably the reason it feels difficult is because you practice scales with 2 on the 2nd note and it is a major 2nd. Then you get this where the 2nd note is a major third and it feels awkward. There is a ton of this in Beethoven's Sonata #2 first mvt and it feels surprisingly clumsy. While I would use 1-2-3-1234 in the Burgmuller etude I totally understand why you want to find something that feels more at ease.

Just do it. -- Nike
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by FennerMachine
Pieces sometimes have suggested fingerings.
I sometimes change them for my hand size or other reasons.

I can play some scales 4 octaves with correct fingering.
But I find this specific section ergonomically or physically difficult.
My arm and hand is in a weird position and feels restricted.
If I use finger 2 it becomes much easier as it shifts the entire hand and arm position.

Should I do whatever feels more comfortable?
Could that lead to problems with future pieces?
Is there something I can try with seating/positioning?

I will check with my piano teacher at my next lesson, maybe sooner, but would like to get suggestions, opinions and experiences.

It's worth the attention to get it right.

Here's my story.

Ten years ago I put in work on Schubert's Moment Musicaux #3 because it sounded pretty clever. I spent a lot of time trying to get it right at the fast tempo that sounds great.*

Brief aside--when I was 19 I put my gloved hand through a plate window in a moment of calculated idiocy. My calculations were correct: I was an idiot. A result of this gaffe was a severed tendon in my right hand so that my ring finger lacks some dexterity. A minor tendon, but for this piece, it matters.

So I spent a lot of time ten years ago trying to get the fingering right. I thought I did. I practiced it endlessly. It seemed like it should work. Sometimes, it did. When it did not, I thought I needed to practice even more, slower, then faster, more and more.

Fast forward to now. I picked up my work on this piece recently. I resumed the old fingering--it seemed correct. I resumed the old drive--sometimes slow it down, then increase the tempo. The result was often failure when I tried to play it at the fast tempo I liked.

I decided I was being foolish and I needed to change what I did. So I looked at the fingering and made a change. Now I can play it smoothly without that hiccup. The overall fluency isn't there yet--I have a LOT of muscle memory unlearning to do--but I know I made the right decision. Yes, I will have to suffer through some extra practice.

However...I will achieve my goal after all.

So if I can offer anything it is this: the fingering may 'seem' right, but that doesn't mean that it is. Before you marry a fingering, play the field. Know your personal inadequacies. It's ok to be wrong about fingering, but there is a price, yet it may offer growth you need.

Only in men's imagination does every truth find an effective and undeniable existence. Imagination, not invention, is the supreme master of art as of life. -Józef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Don't think the original manuscripts of the great composers include a single finger reference. Performers who are also teachers would give finger suggestions and these ended up in printed editions.

When working on a piano arrangement, don't think any of the fingerings would be original. The piece I'm working on now is my own arrangement of an orchestral piece with different instrument parts. No suggested fingerings except for the numbers I put in.

I
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I
When your right hand needs to play on the left half of the piano you need to tilt your torso to the left before doing it. That is, you need to transfer most of your weight to the left buttock and bend the lower part of your torso in order to shift your shoulder girdle to the left, at the same time trying to maintain your shoulder girdle in more or less horizontal position.

Tilting to the left and to the right is required almost constantly when playing piano, it is one of the fundamental skills and you need to work on it until it becomes a second nature. Your torso must be mobile when playing.

It is absolutely ok to start RH passages on the left side of the piano with a finger instead of a thumb in order to decrease the amount of tilt needed, especially when RH has to play very close to the LH, I do it often and many people do. But if you have difficulties with tilting your body I'd recommend to work on this skill first of all and not to change fingering for now.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by thepianoplayer416
Don't think the original manuscripts of the great composers include a single finger reference. Performers who are also teachers would give finger suggestions and these ended up in printed editions.
You're wrong about that. Although most of the time it's true, there are compositions where the composer intended a specific fingering and it was actually written out in the manuscript. Chopin is notable for his fingerings but there are some even in Bach (although rarely).

F
F
My teacher always let's me start off with the fingering that is provided and then watches me play, and when she sees that I struggle she sometimes changes it to something that is more fitting for me. I find that approach quite nice.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by FennerMachine

Hi,

I learned this piece late last year and I had a similar query; what I did is to see what happens at the end of bar 9? There is a G and D played as a chord (minus the 3rd) and has the suggested fingering of 1 - 4 and then in bar 10 the chord becomes G and Eb (again played harmonically). The issue was how to get there without splashing a wrong note or even pressing the wrong notes entirely. So I decided to use 1,2,3, 123, 1 - this way the 1 (thumb) now lingers on the G ready for the chords.

I made a video on this -

I agree with the comments that fingering is subjective and personal, but also the pianist needs to look ahead and see what happens next to ensure the fingering chosen is appropriate for what comes next..if that makes any sense?

Hope that helps - it's a great piece!

J

F
OP Offline
F
Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions.
After playing with different fingerings I’ve gone back to 1231234(maybe 1).
I play some scales with this fingering, so it was a bit strange I found it difficult.
It could have been any of the reasons mentioned, or I needed more practise.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai VPC-1 or Roland A88 MKII (or FP30X)?
by detektorosradio - 12/08/21 06:03 PM
Birdcage Piano Tuner needed in Virginia
by zander35 - 12/08/21 04:45 PM
Another "Which Midi Controller Should I Buy"
by cody.carrig - 12/08/21 04:05 PM
Chopin's Polonaise 26/2 and staccato duration
by Mati - 12/08/21 04:04 PM
How good is a Chickering 105 B concert grand?
by tommyhaha - 12/08/21 02:34 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,461
Posts3,151,648
Members103,560
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission