2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
59 members (btcomm, anotherscott, Animisha, 36251, Chapitrilfo, apianostudent, 1957, boo1234, 14 invisible), 500 guests, and 553 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3109364 04/22/21 08:38 PM
A
AmDG Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Hello everyone!

I'm just wondering if upgrading my current 2003 Yamaha B2 upright (excellent condition) to an older Yamaha U7 would be the right choice.

The U7 is owned by a student-pianist, but it shows little wear on the hammers (it is the original walnut). It sings beautifully and in tune too! The action is in top shape and way better than my B2. My independent piano technician speaks very highly of it. I have no doubt it is in excellent condition; no rust even behind the bottom pedal even for that age.

My main concern is that it is made in the early 1960s, is it too old? Price isn't a factor because my B2 would sell the same as buying this used U7. What are your thoughts?

Thank you.

"The wine of Love is music,
And the feast of Love is song:
And when Love sits down to the banquet,
Love sits long."
AmDG #3109371 04/22/21 09:05 PM
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
I don’t see any reason not to consider it, just have your tech give you the rundown on the condition of everything. If it seems reasonable to you, and you really like it, I’m sure it would be a very nice upgrade from your B2. Condition is generally more important than age alone. Sounds like a great find, good luck! 🍀😊👍

Lisa

Playing RCM 7-8 repertoire
Cunningham Studio Grand & Yamaha CLP645

"I tell my piano the things I used to tell you." - Frederic Chopin
ebonyk #3109383 04/22/21 09:41 PM
A
AmDG Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I see, so condition is more important than age. I'll have my tech recheck the U7 top to bottom then. Thank you!

Love sits long."
AmDG #3109968 04/24/21 10:10 AM
AmDG - Sounds like you really like the U7 better than your B2. Sounds great and action is great. Probably a winner.

Age does matter. But how well it has been taken care of matters more.

Ebonyk is right: condition is more important than age and have your tech take a look at it.

Bring money and/or trade to make it happen before someone else can snatch it up.

Good luck,

Stormbringer

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Casio PX-870
Working on Alfred's Adult AIO Book 2
1970's: Took piano lessons. 2021: This old man is giving it a 2nd go.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Feel The Power>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
AmDG #3110000 04/24/21 11:38 AM
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by AmDG
I see, so condition is more important than age. I'll have my tech recheck the U7 top to bottom then. Thank you!
TONS OF LUCK YOUR WAY!!!! ❤️❤️❤️

Lisa

Playing RCM 7-8 repertoire
Cunningham Studio Grand & Yamaha CLP645

"I tell my piano the things I used to tell you." - Frederic Chopin
AmDG #3110065 04/24/21 03:30 PM
j&j Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Don’t take offense of my different opinion. If you and your tech both really like it and think it’s in great condition, you should get it BUT age still counts towards depreciation. It’s a piano in its 60s.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia PX-330
My piano’s voice is beautiful!
[Linked Image]
AmDG #3110083 04/24/21 04:18 PM
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
If you are in the market for an "upgrade," you have to seriously consider how much of an upgrade the U7 might represent, or is it more a sideways movement?

You may be getting a piano that sounds better and has an action that feels superior to that of your current piano and you may even be getting a piano that a tech says is in good condition for its age, but there's no escaping the fact that you will be getting a 60-year old piano and the (potential) loss of longevity that that suggests or the sooner rather than later major work may have to be done to it.

The fact that you are asking this question suggests some concern about how much of an upgrade this move might be.

Is the U7 the one piano that you are focusing on for an upgrade? If an upgrade is really your goal, have you looked at other possibilities? If not, why not? If you have looked at others, what candidates have you eliminated?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
BruceD #3110090 04/24/21 04:30 PM
j&j Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BruceD
If you are in the market for an "upgrade," you have to seriously consider how much of an upgrade the U7 might represent, or is it more a sideways movement?

You may be getting a piano that sounds better and has an action that feels superior to that of your current piano and you may even be getting a piano that a tech says is in good condition for its age, but there's no escaping the fact that you will be getting a 60-year old piano and the (potential) loss of longevity that that suggests or the sooner rather than later major work may have to be done to it.

The fact that you are asking this question suggests some concern about how much of an upgrade this move might be.

Is the U7 the one piano that you are focusing on for an upgrade? If an upgrade is really your goal, have you looked at other possibilities? If not, why not? If you have looked at others, what candidates have you eliminated?

Regards,

BruceD said it much better. smile

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia PX-330
My piano’s voice is beautiful!
[Linked Image]
BruceD #3110573 04/26/21 12:21 AM
A
AmDG Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Thank you for all your responses!

Depreciation (resell) wouldn't concern me as much as deterioration (condition) of the piano. In terms of upgrade, I feel that this would be somewhat diagonal (not sideways or upward, if it makes sense)? I totally agree, the U7's action sets it apart from all of the above.

I haven't got any other options in this price range, and I don't like crusty old U1 or U3s or similar Kawai.

BUT I saw a lightly used 15-year old Brodmann upright (120-125cm)? Would this Chinese brand be a better piano compared to the U7 if both price and condition are equal?

If there are any objections kindly let me know too. I'd be happy to consider your rebuttals, as I am not totally familiar with Yamaha's older lines or Brodmann.

Last edited by AmDG; 04/26/21 12:24 AM.

Love sits long."
AmDG #3110607 04/26/21 04:49 AM
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
The U7 is going to be a much better piano than any of these so *if* you like it and *if* it is in good condition then grab it quick before it finds a new home , especially as it isn't going to cost you much/anything. U7s aren't easily found.

I would ask the tech about the hammers though. There is something not right about them being just lightly grooved as with the piano being that age plus being owned by a piano student I would have expected it to have had more use, possibly it has already had new hammers some time in its life? Also check that the bridle straps have been replaced, that is the one thing all old Yammies seem to need so if it has been through a dealer in recent years that has probably already been done but if not allow for that one off cost (maybe £2-300?).

gwing #3110618 04/26/21 05:50 AM
A
AmDG Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I agree. This U7 must be quite rare then in this condition. Moreover, I forgot to mention that it has a Dampp Chaser rod inside. Regarding the hammers, I think it's rather new because it's not dirty-looking. It also got the walnut core and red underfelt I see in higher grade YUS uprights.

I'll recheck with my tech. Perhaps whoever restored it must've done it really well, or this piano has been used as sealed furniture for the past 60 years? (Either way it must be my luck too that this piano wasn't pounded on much by the previous owner.) Bridle straps are clean, so I'm betting it's newly replaced as well.

Last edited by AmDG; 04/26/21 05:51 AM.

Love sits long."
AmDG #3111252 04/27/21 07:09 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Condition is more important than age, but at the age of the U7, it is a factor. The cost of maintenance could prove similar to that of a younger instrument, but you could be one failure or one larger repair bill away from a very tough decision.

It's good that is has been in recent regular use, or else I could offer other typical observations where a good but older instrument starts to break down when it goes into more frequent or intense use after a long period of rest.

Ask your tech to specifically check more of the smaller wear components like key bushings, key felts, and for action wear. We tend to focus on the big or expensive components. There may be some smaller service items to budget into the total cost.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Got myself a Roland UM-ONE MK II
by EVC2017 - 05/08/21 09:51 AM
Putting my new-old piano in order
by SpareKeys - 05/08/21 09:40 AM
Pop songs I learnt as a kid
by KevinM - 05/08/21 07:37 AM
Question for pros - Hiring orchestra?
by trigalg693 - 05/08/21 01:49 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,791
Posts3,091,100
Members101,449
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission