2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
34 members (David B, DPAfficionado, aphexdisklavier, chopin_r_us, bluebilly, danielp11, Arjen B, 36251, clothearednincompo, 6 invisible), 462 guests, and 537 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
OP Offline
W
Has anyone tried to find an Airbnb or other accommodation with a decent quality piano that is kept in tune and well maintained, so as not miss too many practice days while traveling or vacationing, and not have to lug a digital piano on the trip?

If so, were you successful?

Are there Airbnb hosts who try to make themselves findable by pianists?

Are there niche home-sharing sites for pianists?

You can filter an Airbnb search by amenities (like a hair dryer or a hot tub), and by some specific unique stays (like a yurt, castle or tipi), but piano is not listed, and I don’t see any general key-word text search.

I asking both as a host and a traveler. I will be taking some short trips this summer for the first time since becoming diligent enough to not want to miss more than one day a week of practice.

Also, I am an Airbnb host with a piano. I live far from work, so I keep an apartment in Lancaster, PA for the work week and rent it out every weekend. And it now has a great piano!

Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Hi
Yes, as a traveler I always look for accommodations with a piano— but the search for one is quite arduous, as none of the rental agencies have a filter for ‘piano’. There is a relatively new platform called ‘music traveler’ where you can search for accommodations or rehearsal/recording space. They are European but were adding a couple of US cities as a test, pre-Covid. I haven’t checked the status of US penetration in about 18 months.

If Air BnB added a filter for piano, I suspect it would be successful once word got around.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
J
jdw Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
A few years ago there was an AirB&B listing in London that I bookmarked because it said guests could play the grand piano. I have a feeling they got more pianists than they wanted! When I went back a couple of years later the listing said that the piano was off limits. So I'll bet the demand is there.

1989 Baldwin R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
According to my experience, I suggest not to play pianos in travel accomodations as a guest. Only few hotels where I stayed had a piano. I always kindly asked at the reception if I could play some time when most of the other guests were off and the receptionists seemed a bit embarrassed but never refused. But then, in every case, 5 minutes after I had begun playing some angry manager showed up and shouted I should stop immediately, I was disturbing them and their work and the remaining hotel guests, and the piano was only there for professional bar pianists to provide a very, very, very soft sound background at tea or dinner time, and never should anybody play "real" pieces of music on "their" piano. In some cases they even locked the instrument afterwards.

J
jdw Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
I have had much more positive experiences playing hotel pianos. But pianos are becoming rarer. Ten years ago I could often find one tucked away in an inconspicuous place, and I've never had a manager tell me to stop. I wouldn't try one of the pianos in the center of a cocktail lounge, though.

1989 Baldwin R
E
E
Originally Posted by jdw
But pianos are becoming rarer. Ten years ago I could often find one tucked away in an inconspicuous place

This is my greatest fear, if anyone here's ever been to a chess tournament, it's a sad state of affairs, it's like the whole of the chess world is tucked away in a closet.

B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
When I'm on my travels, I don't think about playing piano (though as my travels are usually on steep high mountains, I have other things to think about, like staying alive).

Therefore, I never bring any music scores with me in the hope I'll somehow find a piano to tickle the ivories on. But I've been pleasantly surprised on the few occasions when I've had a "normal" vacation, like at a beach resort or a cruise ship, or just travelling around countries: I've had a Yamaha grand all to myself during the daytime in the piano bar of a beach resort and similarly in a couple of cruise ships (when I found myself with small but discerning audiences) - one of them was in a restaurant where the waiters were happy to listen to me playing Mozart, Beethoven, Schubert, Chopin and Rachmaninov while they laid the tables for the lunch service - and also in a few hotels (in South Africa, Ecuador and Argentina).

I just made sure I chose the right (classical) music for the venue - if there were people around drinking at the bar, I played predominantly gentle tuneful music (Schubert's D899/3, Chopin's Op.25/1, Schumann's Arabesque, Brahms's Op.118/5, Debussy's Arabesque No.1 etc) and scaled the dynamics down. Often, despite my usual scruffy attire (I never dress up even in posh hotels or restaurants), people thought I was the 'bar pianist' and I've even had the odd request.......which I granted, if I knew the music well enough to fake it grin.

In empty piano bars, of course, I let rip, and anybody who walked in to listen would have to put up with everything from Bach to Bartók, at anything from ppp to fff. But even there, I've had the odd request from people who thought I was the resident bar pianist playing music I actually preferred to play during my time off whistle.

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Can I assume that talking about travel - vacation travel particularly - is just wishful thinking at present?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
J
jdw Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by EinLudov
Originally Posted by jdw
But pianos are becoming rarer. Ten years ago I could often find one tucked away in an inconspicuous place

This is my greatest fear, if anyone here's ever been to a chess tournament, it's a sad state of affairs, it's like the whole of the chess world is tucked away in a closet.

The pianos in older large hotels were often in semi-storage near the ballrooms, like in a back hallway. The idea wasn't that they'd be played there, but they'd be rolled to somewhere else. Now I think hotels tend to assume bands for events will just bring keyboards, and a lot of them don't bother maintaining an actual piano.

1989 Baldwin R
B
B
Originally Posted by BruceD
Can I assume that talking about travel - vacation travel particularly - is just wishful thinking at present?
Depends on where you are. The Aussies and Kiwis are presently free to travel back and forth between them, for example (and each nation makes up the bulk of the other nation's tourists). But if you don't live there, don't even think about trying to say hello to the friendly man-eating crocs in Kakadu NP or doing the Tongariro Alpine Crossing for the foreseeable future.

In my neck of the woods, people are already booking for the summer sun in countries south of the Alps (or even within the Alps). Malta is even bribing us by offering €200 to tourists (I kid you not).

Me, I'll settle for myself, i.e. Ben Nevis and the surrounding Highlands, just as I did last summer. The midges there need my nourishing blood........

https://images.app.goo.gl/JmuKDPYqNYT7NBpYA

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
There is a delightful BnB in Central Pennsylvania called the Inn at Solvang. It used to be long ago the family abode of ancestors of a friend of mine. Not only are guests encouraged to use the piano, but there also is in the lounge a precious William Dowd copy of a Taskin harpsichord.

https://www.huntingdonbedandbreakfast.com/

[Linked Image]

Life is a smorgasbord, and I want to taste everything on offer.
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
That's the sort of place where I'd like to stay.

Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by David-G
That's the sort of place where I'd like to stay.

It is truly delightful— the Inn website shows a large variety of rooms, fairly priced

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
cheap sponge instead of felt?
by chopin_r_us - 05/14/21 05:17 AM
First International Stretto Piano Festival
by Rhonda B - 05/14/21 04:19 AM
Kurzweil SP88X
by Micahjd - 05/14/21 02:24 AM
Steinway Sale this weekend?
by Gombessa - 05/13/21 10:41 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,919
Posts3,093,338
Members101,513
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission