2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, Colin Miles, 36251, 11 invisible), 2,061 guests, and 361 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3108088 04/19/21 07:45 PM
J
OP Offline
J
I don't have this but to my ears it seems to blow away all the other iOS pianos.

Fast Forward to the 4:50 mark to hear Clair de Lune
What do you think?

Last edited by Jonky Ponky; 04/19/21 07:48 PM.
O
O

Did someone say we need to stop comparing Digitals to Acoustics?
R
R
Hmmmmm.... just downloaded it.

Using BT MIDI from my ES920, running headphone out to keyboard aux in, local off.

I have my iPad volume at max, but it's sounding at about 1/3 full volume. So hard to say if I like the sound or not.

Randy
Studiologic Numa Piano X73 / Kawai ES920 / Yamaha PSR EW-410 / Casio CT-X5000
Melodica / Alto recorder / iPad music apps
F
F
Seems like an overall very nice package, especially considering the price. Personally I don't think it's better then Ravenscroft and the American D I already own.

On the audiobus forums someone made a blind test, try it out:
https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/44802/pure-piano-comparison

Going to be interesting witch are what. From a the POV of a producer it is a nice package though, you get a great piano and a very good package of effects.

J
OP Offline
J
I decided to download this while its still 1/2 price.
My initial thoughts are that it is definitely up there with the best iOS pianos and possibly the best but I will need more time with it to see whether I get a little tired of the sound.
One immediate annoyance was the lack of volume control from my keyboard (you would think this would have to be fixed with an update shortly).
You can adjust the volume within settings (this might solve Randymans volume issue) and I can certainly get it plenty (even too loud) enough on my setup.
Velocity controls and other adjustments like brightness are very good and user friendly and the ability to mix all controls via the touch screen is very good.
Some comments about the sound:
The sound is nice and realistic and doesn't have anything "strange" about it (to me Ravenscroft is too metallic, Korg is too muddy and Colossus has too short key releases)
There seem to be more than enough velocity layers as I can't notice any sudden changes. It is quite responsive in timbre over the velocity range and the velocity curve settings I think will make any keyboard shine (I've tried it on two).
There does appear to be seperate pedal up and pedal down samples but no sympathetic resonances like the Colossus.
I dont know the source of the samples but it does remind me of a Yamaha Grand.
At the current price I think this is a good deal if you want a good piano for your iPhone/iPad.

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
What did you pay for it? It’s not expensive at all but just curious because I can’t se anything about 1/2 price?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Boboulus
What did you pay for it? It’s not expensive at all but just curious because I can’t se anything about 1/2 price?

In the description on Apple store it says:

Half-Price Introductory Offer until June 1

So current price is half price it seems.

Jose

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1
...plus some other DPs, synths, controllers and VSTs

[Linked Image]
I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
This seems to be edging out the competition. On the Audiobus forum users prefer it 3-1 against Ravenscroft and Korg Module Model D combined.

Jazz at www.newartistsrecords.com. Search Michael Levy. Use Safari for free tracks.
https://soundcloud.com/michael-levy-387395070 for jazz, classical, world, rock tracks Albums on Bandcamp: https://michaelalevy.bandcamp.com/music
Kawai ES8, Casio PXS3000
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by EB5AGV
Originally Posted by Boboulus

In the description on Apple store it says:

Half-Price Introductory Offer until June 1

So current price is half price it seems.

Interesting it doesn’t say that in the Swedish App Store so that’s why I’m curious. It’s 169 SEK here about €17.

O
O
Hmm.

So, I have my shiny new iPhone 12. It has no headphone socket. How do I connect my midi keyboard to my phone and listen to the output through my monitors? I have a PC, not a mac.

J
OP Offline
J
You have a couple of options.
Before Apple dropped the headphone jack it was easy you just neded the Apple Camera Connection Kit (there are two types and one allows for charging your iPhone while using it). So if you had a keyboard with USB midi output you used one of those.
Now you can try out one of the new dongles (Apple aren't making them yet) like this one that supossedly does all three (keyboard connect, charging, and headphone/line out).
https://www.dx.com/p/vrrobot-lul301...lSTzH_8aUSFinAaAqyFEALw_wcB#.YH9xz-gzZPY
A second option is to use a class compliant audio interface (eg. Steinberg UR22Mk11). You still need an Apple CCK but audio comes from the interface.
Thirdly if your keyboard has bluetooth midi (or you buy a bluetooth midi adaptor - google Yamaha bluetooth midi adaptor - there are two types but the one that works with 5 pin din midi is best) then you just need to use your standard digital to anologue headphone adaptor that comes with your iPhone for the audio out
A wired solution is superior to bluetooth midi to avoid probable latency issues though latency on bluetooth midi is pretty low (not to be confused with bluetooth audio which is unusable).

Last edited by Jonky Ponky; 04/20/21 08:49 PM.
To connect a keyboard to an iOS instrument I use this RVOKOMS USB Camera Adapter https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081PRV65R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This does NOT have a headphone connection, but I use it with a MOTU audio interface. The lightning plugs into the ipad or iPhone. Charge cable plugs into the lightning input to provide power. The USB opposite the power in has pass through power, so that plugs into the bus powered audio interface. Another USB goes to the USB midi on my keyboard. The iPad or iPhone then receives midi and sends digital audio out to the audio interface, which itself has both headphone and monitor outs with separate volume controls. (And can also bring in a mic or another audio line in.)

Now I also want to add 2 cameras and Zoom to this setup for online piano lessons. So I'm switching over to plug everything into my macbook instead of the iPad, as iPad doesn't work with a USB webcam. Does that leave me without my preferred iOS virtual piano? (Korg Module with Synthogy American Concert D.) No... its possible to add the iPad to the macbook as a digital audio source using a USB-Lightning cable. But it gets tricky to route the midi through the mac to the iPad, get the piano audio back from the iPad, and balance volume levels. The Synthogy piano is available native on the mac too, so I can eliminate the iPad. Of course its much cheaper to purchase on iOS in Korg Module than to get for mac.

Adult beginner. Roland FP90X, DIY cabinet, Pianoteq & VSL CFX, etc.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MarkOfJohnson
Of course its much cheaper to purchase on iOS in Korg Module than to get for mac.

M1-powered Macs allow iOS apps to be run natively...either officially, or unofficially.

James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
O
O
Thanks guys, I'll look into those 'adapters'

F
F
Here I made a comparison of the current popular iOS pianos. For this I used a MIDI recording of Chopin Ballade No1 from the piano-e competition site. (credits: https://www.piano-e-competition.com/midi_2011.asp, https://www.piano-e-competition.com/contestantbios2011/KimSuYeon.asp).

Those recordings are really good, but they might not be optimized for the VST. In this case the Ravenscroft handles the midi the best (see around 2:00, you can hear some stuttering where something goes wrong with the stustain pedal, the Ravescroft doesn't have that)

I rendered the MIDI with Cubasis 3, internal reverb is disabled for all and instead I use the Roomworks reverb on "Bright Hall". The first one is as comparison the internal Cubasis 3 piano, just as reference what "bad" might sound like.

https://soundcloud.com/user-703196557/sets/ios-piano-comparison

A
A
Thank Flori89, I like both Ravenscroft and Piano Pure. The Ravenscroft sounds more real but the Pure Piano is rounder (but there are so many possibilities to change the colours anyway). A good review is here:

Last edited by aphexdisklavier; 04/21/21 08:23 AM.

Kawai VPC1, Nektar Impact GXP61+88
Past: "Fazer" acoustic piano, Yamaha P120, Roland JV90, M-audio and Novation Midi Keyboards
other instruments: electric and acoustic violins, Wal custom 4 string e-bass, Sire V7 fretless e-bass, Musser vibraphone
Software: Logic Pro
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I DON'T need another iOS piano
But... My iPad Air 2 works nicely as a sound module, with Korg Module along Synthogy expansions and with VI Labs Ravenscroft 275. So perhaps this could complete (by now) the piano palette for my portable piano set... wink

I will throw a coin grin

Jose

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1
...plus some other DPs, synths, controllers and VSTs

[Linked Image]
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
I tried and while at first I was underwhelmed, once I softened the curve a bit, as I do with Ivory in Korg Module, wow, this one is definitely competitive with Ivory... I have never liked the sound and especially the latency of Ravenscroft on iPad (256 buffer), but this is a much better piano (and the buffer is only 128, vs 64 for Ivory). I would think it's a CFX, but I am not sure. I wouldn't say it's as good as Garritan CFX, but it's definitely not far once the curve is properly adjusted.

Roland FP-4F, Korg Kross 61, iRig Keys Pro, HD58X, HD598, Focal Spirit Pro, RME Babyface, M-Track Plus, Roland DuoCapture, Presonus Eris E5, iLoud micro monitors, M1 Mac mini, iPad Pro, HP Elite X2, Ivory II ACD, Korg Module for iPad, Garritan CFX full, Vienna Imperial, Ravenscroft, Kawai-Ex Pro
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by OU812
Hmm.

So, I have my shiny new iPhone 12. It has no headphone socket. How do I connect my midi keyboard to my phone and listen to the output through my monitors? I have a PC, not a mac.
I use this, which I think is the best solution if you keyboard has proper midi (not just usb midi) https://www.korg.com/uk/products/computergear/plugkey/

Roland FP-4F, Korg Kross 61, iRig Keys Pro, HD58X, HD598, Focal Spirit Pro, RME Babyface, M-Track Plus, Roland DuoCapture, Presonus Eris E5, iLoud micro monitors, M1 Mac mini, iPad Pro, HP Elite X2, Ivory II ACD, Korg Module for iPad, Garritan CFX full, Vienna Imperial, Ravenscroft, Kawai-Ex Pro
O
O
Originally Posted by Digitalguy
Originally Posted by OU812
Hmm.

I use this, which I think is the best solution if you keyboard has proper midi (not just usb midi) https://www.korg.com/uk/products/computergear/plugkey/

That actually looks really good.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission