2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
36 members (EB5AGV, Dave Horne, desordre, Flygbladet, danielp11, CyberGene, CharlesXX, clothearednincompo, 8 invisible), 442 guests, and 590 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
OP Offline
T
Hi. I have the chance to buy a Yamaha G2 2007. It's one owner and as new apparently. The seller tells me it's a top of the line concert piano and he wants $18000 for it. Does anyone know about this piano? Thanks

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
The Yamaha G series was discontinued in, I’m almost positive, 1994. They became the C series after that.

Lisa

Playing RCM 7-8 repertoire
Cunningham Studio Grand & Yamaha CLP645

"I tell my piano the things I used to tell you." - Frederic Chopin
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Actually, the G series kind of merged into the C series. The C series existed parallel to the G for a time but was built on a different scale.

You might want to ask the seller what exactly he’s selling. Are there pictures of the piano anywhere? The model should be clearly marked on it, as well as a serial number so you can check the age. 👍

Lisa

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Ask the seller for several detailed pictures, including one of the serial number. Also, a recording would be nice. And the name of the technician who last serviced it. Then you have some good info to see whether the piano is worth your time and priced more or less correctly for your market.

No professional would ever consider a 5'8" grand a "concert piano", rather those tend to be between 7-10 feet long...

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I agree with ebonyk and terminaldegree.

I do remember reading about the history of the Yamaha "G" series phase-out, around the mid 1990s, and another designation model took the place of the "G" as the next model below the "C" series.

Also, as terminaldegree says, the seller's description of the piano as a top of the line concert piano seems over the top, although it may well be a nice piano.

As for the price, Yamahas do usually bring a premium, but the price seems kind of over the top as well, although it may well be a good price. I'd certainly take terminaldegree's advice and obtain all the info he mentions and do more research before you buy.

However, I'm a big fan of Yamaha pianos.

Good luck, and welcome to Piano World!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
T
OP Offline
T
Thanks everyone, I have asked the seller for the serial number and asked about the G2-C2 issue. I have actually played the piano and it is very very nice. I'm in Australia so the price is more like $14000 US. Will let you know when I know more.

Originally Posted by Teresa100
Thanks everyone, I have asked the seller for the serial number and asked about the G2-C2 issue. I have actually played the piano and it is very very nice. I'm in Australia so the price is more like $14000 US. Will let you know when I know more.

Here is an older PW thread discussing the differences between the Yamaha "G" and "C" series, and phase out of the 'G", etc... some really good info in the thread.

Older PW thread discussing Yamaha G and C series grands

Good luck!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
T
OP Offline
T
Serial number is 6092992, so was made in Japan in 2004. Seller assures me it's a G2. Thank for your input everyone.

K
K
Somehow I get the feeling that the seller is stretching the truth a little. I would ask for multiple photos to confirm the serial number and the model. G series was meant for home use, and they might mean GC2 given the age, not G2. It may still be a nice piano, but I would take the seller’s blurb with a grain of salt since most private sellers claim the piano is in excellent condition as long as the exterior looks good while not having a clear idea of its internal condition. If you are interested, arrange an technician to check it out before making a final decision.

Serial number is 6092992, so was made in Japan in 2004. Seller assures me it's a G2. Thank for your input everyone.

It would be good if you could get a photo of the model number embossed in the cast iron plate on the Yamaha. If it was indeed a G2 from 2004, there would be a definite "G 2" on the plate. You know what they say, "a picture is worth a 1000 words". smile

Otherwise, here is a quote from that older thread I referenced earlier from Sam Bennett, with PianoWorks in Duluth, Ga., a highly respected piano dealer and rebuilder here on PW, and in the real world.

Originally Posted by PianoWorksATL
The G-series ended, more or less, when the C-series was extended in the mid-1990's. Before that, there were parallel models like the G3 and C3. This is what Rotom is referring to. The last G3 was 6'0" at the time it was discontinued and the C3 was 6'1". The scale design of the G1 was bolstered to make the C1, the G2 became the C2. Around the same time, the C6 was added.

Also, I'm thinking K8KT may be correct that if the piano is indeed from 2004, it may be a GC2 instead of a G2. But that is just speculation.

Also, (part II :-) a tech inspection would reveal the actual model, since the serial number has revealed the age.

Good luck, and keep us informed!

Rick

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Hmm, I second what everyone else is saying. I own a Yamaha C2 (IIRC it was built in 2000 or 2001). I am admittedly biased, but my C2 is an excellent piano, but to echo everyone else, it is not "a top of the line concert piano."

Based on my own piano purchase, and on the pianos I played during my search (which was in summer of 2019), I think $14000 USD is a bit too much, esp. if you're purchasing from a private seller who cannot offer you warranty, delivery, or tuning. These are things a dealer would offer and they of course justify a higher price point.

But it's only 14 years old, right? And if it was tuned and serviced regularly, and if there are not a lot of good quality used instruments for sale in your area, those details would perhaps explain a higher price.

Which is all to say... whether that's reasonable price really really depends on those local factors as well as the details of that specific piano.

Hope this helps, keep us posted!

Last edited by ShiroKuro; 04/21/21 11:16 AM.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
T
OP Offline
T
Hi, the seller is a dealer offering a 10 year warranty, and yes I live somewhere where getting something like this is difficult. One owner as new. Not a concert piano but a top quality model. I would put a picture here but can't figure out how.

Hi, the seller is a dealer offering a 10 year warranty, and yes I live somewhere where getting something like this is difficult. One owner as new. Not a concert piano but a top quality model. I would put a picture here but can't figure out how.

We can walk you through posting pics. First, the pic has to be hosted on a website, and have a URL address that starts with "http". Frank Baxter, owner of PW, prefers that we use PW to host the photos, but I can never get the site to work, so I use Imgur.

Once your photo has a URL address, copy the URL address and click on "Use Full Editor" at the bottom of the post reply page. Next, click on the 9th icon from L to R at the top of the post page (looks like a pic with a blue sky background). You will get a drop-down window that says "Enter the URL of the image you wish to display:". Paste your pic URL address in the text block, but delete the "http://" that already appears there; otherwise, it will appear twice in your photo URL address and the pic will not appear in the post window.

Once your pic URL address is posted in the pic dropdown menu, click OK. If you want to see if your pic posted in the post page, click on "Preview Reply" at the bottom of the page. If the pic is there, click "Post Reply", and your photo will appear in your post. There may be other ways to post a pic, but this works for me.

Good luck, and let us know if you need more assistance posting pictures of your prospective piano.

Rick

T
OP Offline
T
[img]Piano https://imgur.com/gallery/FAsdX7r[/img]. Ok thanks. That a new one for me, hope it worked.

[img]Piano https://imgur.com/gallery/FAsdX7r[/img]. Ok thanks. That a new one for me, hope it worked.

That is a nice looking piano, but still doesn't reveal the actual model. That info would be on the front of the plate on the right side, below the music desk.

Here is your pic...

Good luck!

[Linked Image]

X
X
I'm from Australia and have recently purchased a mid '90s C2. I have a bit of an idea of Aus prices for second hand Yamahas.
If this is a GC2, which is probably the case then $18k AUD is reasonable. The walnut finish would bump it up in value somewhat. I think a new black GC2 could be had for around $26k.
Once again an inspection by a third party is of upmost importance.

For me personally though, the comment of it being a "top of the line concert grand" would really bug me.
I very much dislike being fed BS by salespeople.

Last edited by xDom; 04/22/21 12:36 PM.
T
OP Offline
T
Yes it is gorgeous. Thank you so much everyone. I've decided I want it, just got to convince my hunband now!

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Oh how exciting! Good luck!!

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Good luck, give us updates when you get it! 😊👍

Lisa

Wishing you the best in getting the Yamaha grand, Teresa100!

Just wondering, out of curiosity, did you ever find out if the piano was indeed a "G" series Yamaha or a "GC" series?

Also, if it is where you can, I'd suggest having the piano inspected by an independent tech before purchase, unless you completely trust the dealer.

Good luck!

Rick

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
cheap sponge instead of felt?
by chopin_r_us - 05/14/21 05:17 AM
First International Stretto Piano Festival
by Rhonda B - 05/14/21 04:19 AM
Kurzweil SP88X
by Micahjd - 05/14/21 02:24 AM
Steinway Sale this weekend?
by Gombessa - 05/13/21 10:41 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,920
Posts3,093,348
Members101,513
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission