2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
27 members (dng, Carey, CyberGene, dima5222, Emery Wang, cmoody31, Dore, Chapitrilfo, 3 invisible), 690 guests, and 462 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Z
zonzi Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
This is just an example on the firsts variations of woo80. I use this one as example because the arpeggios appear in the beginning.
There are many other pianists who play non staccato arpeggio in similar way with other pieces.
Is it a new fashion to play arpeggio today or are there other reasons to do so?

1970s' Petrof 125
youtube:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrY5TdJHAB6HAYYgdgQliww
recent added: Beethoven woo80 var1-3 arpeggio test
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
There is no right or wrong way to play arpeggios. It depends on the piece. There are plenty of cases in Bach where the arpeggios are played detached.

In this case it is marked leggiermente in the score and later there are staccato marks on similar phrases. So it makes sense to play in a detached way. How much detached depends on the pianist. Some play it just lightly detached with a bit of pedal, others clearly detached but always with a light touch. The pianist in the vid is a little too heavy.

L
L
I'm currently working on this piece. Most pianists play it detached or legato. Listen to the Kissin recording, how his articulation makes it flowing, rhythmic, and dynamic. For the opening variations a pedaled approach would create a completely different atmosphere, making the accompaniment not as incisive and perhaps taking away from the rhythmical impetus to the variations. If you pedaled it, it would make a wash of sound, and this would make an extreme contrast to the theme, especially with the last two measures which lead into the first variation. It's not that pianists are choosing to play arpeggios nonlegato now as a trend, but that you have to take the music into account, both its structure and what you emphasize with it. I recommend that you listen to professional pianists play this set, to give you a better range of what's possible with the work.

Z
zonzi Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
I agree Kissin’s case is a detached arpeggio and it is one of the interpretations for leggermente. But the video I have posted seems too short for a detached arpeggio, it is more similar to a staccato on fortepiano. It requires strong technic to be leggermente with a so short staccato and in this case for me the pianist is doing too heavy.

The problem is that I have heard also many people play Mozart’s arpeggio in this way... I know this is a choose but a quite recent choose...

I agree that many pieces by Bach could be played with detached arpeggio to be similar to harpsichord, but anyway I have learned to press the key a little bit longer in Bach’s staccato.

1970s' Petrof 125
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
You have in this vid, 3 different versions. You can also check Barenboim which is really different.

For Bach, it is really not a question of imitating the harpsichord, it is a stylistic choice. Besides contrary to common belief, if you listen to baroque music on the harpsichord, it sounds actually fluid and connected most of the time, except when the interpret does choose to play detached. The articulation in baroque music is quite refined.

Certainly classical and baroque use much more detached or staccato. So there is nothing surprising if there are detached or even staccato arpeggios in Mozart. There is really nothing that says that arpeggios must be played legato (actually near legato).

Z
zonzi Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
thank you for your post, after some attempts, for me effectively keep the arpeggio staccato is the most difficult...
it really demonstrate the pianist's skill.
the bellow attempts are not perfect , but just a tentative to understand a part of this choice.
arpeggio long :arpeggio legato in this case for me is impossible

arpeggio staccato, really difficult especially keep it for the last part of var 3

my arpeggio natural:

1970s' Petrof 125
W
W
Masterclass on this piece from Maria Joao Pires

Z
zonzi Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Originally Posted by Walkman
Masterclass on this piece from Maria Joao Pires
Walkman: Thank you very much for sharing, this is exactly my question and I got a very good answer from Maria (maybe not an answer).
Both staccato or legato are external brain wash. Now I should find the my personal feeling, believe the miracle will happen and epiphany...
The first note gives the potential energy of entire piece and let the rest as the natural consequences.

Last edited by zonzi; 04/22/21 05:39 AM.

1970s' Petrof 125

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
pianoteq keystroke sound control
by ronlefebvre - 06/23/21 10:16 PM
Bachendorff Piano
by trr04002 - 06/23/21 09:56 PM
Hardware for Pianoteq on an NV5S
by Vikendios - 06/23/21 07:39 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,675
Posts3,106,730
Members101,892
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission