2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
62 members (Bill McKaig,RPT, anotherscott, bilb, BlakeOR, accordeur, andrewlapp, brdwyguy, 15 invisible), 500 guests, and 620 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
I’m blocking out Pierrette by Chaminade. (IDK, I’ve always called it blocking... looking for duplicate measures, adding fingerings, notating tricky timing, etc.)

8 measures prior to the end there’s a run of 16th triplets with a quick run of 32nds. I can’t decide if it’s the copy I have but it appears this measure has an extra half beat.

Is there something written wrong in my edition or is this correct? Or have I gone mad & lost my ability to count? It’s the only measure in the entire piece with an extra half beat so I am suspicious. The piece also does not start with a partial measure. Can someone check it against a different edition if I’m reading this correctly?

I have it as:
16th triplet 16th triplet 16th triplet 16th triplet 32nd 32nd 32nd 32nd

Here’s the link:

Pierrette Sheet Music

Last edited by merplayer; 04/20/21 12:24 PM. Reason: Problem with html link.
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Here is the measure in question, with the preceding measure, for good measure, as it were.

[Linked Image]

I agree that the notation adds up to one half beat more than the time signature of 2/4. Does anyone else see it any differently?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Online Content
Looks to me like you're right!

....although with some doubt about whether I'm seeing all those note values right.

I think that except for those last 4 notes, everything else is triplet-16th's.
If so, then those last 4 notes are an extra half beat.

It wouldn't bother me at all in terms of how to play it -- it's kind of a "free" thing, like a little riff -- and I'd think of those extra 4 notes as sort of a rubato-fermata-ish-embellishment, just stretching out the measure a little.

But yeah, I'd wonder just like you are, and spend some time trying to really see what those notes are (probably with a magnifier, maybe a microscope) ha .....and I'd probably ask some people about it, not just to make sure I'm seeing it right but also just because it's an interesting thing to show.

And it is!

OP Offline
Thanks Bruce! For some reason I have problems posting pics in Safari.

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
For me it is just that the composer should have indicated a change of meter but did not. I would see that as a form of rubato with a slow down which creates a transition to the final closing sequence.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by Mark_C
... I'd wonder just like you are, and spend some time trying to really see what those notes are (probably with a magnifier, maybe a microscope) ha .....and I'd probably ask some people about it, not just to make sure I'm seeing it right but also just because it's an interesting thing to show.

And it is!

I purchased a copy of Chaminade playing it herself, and even though I thankfully am reading it properly, it does seem as though the triplets in this measure start the same but the 8th run of triplets speeds up into the 32nd. It took a few times of listening through but I don’t fall off beat at all for the start of the measure after it, so it’s squishing that 2.5 into the same time as 2 beats.

It was probably the cleanest way she was able to write this ornament that doesn’t quite fit into 2/4 time.

I did magnify it in the pdf version to see. It’s not exactly the cleanest copy of music.

Glad to know I still have all my marbles.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by Sidokar
For me it is just that the composer should have indicated a change of meter but did not. I would see that as a form of rubato with a slow down which creates a transition to the final closing sequence.

That would be a good interpretation that I would much rather play. It sounds like on a digitized gramophone recording I purchased just now, she speeds it up to fit in the space of time of the prior measure.

I wonder if this is how she wrote it when she composed it or if this was the doing of an arrangement.

B
BDB Offline
B
I happen to have two different editions of that piece. There are three flags on each note of the final triplet in both editions, and four for the final four notes in one of them. Either way, the last 7 notes are much faster than the preceding triplets.

It looks like this passage is the end of a cadenza, so some liberties are to be expected.

Semipro Tech
B
B
At least she left the barlines in.

Some composers, when they go off into flights of fancy, didn't even bother with them - like CPE Bach...... wink

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
the editor should have written those last 4 semedemihemi whatever quavers in small print, end of problem.

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!
Online Content
Originally Posted by dolce sfogato
the editor should have written those last 4 semedemihemi whatever quavers in small print, end of problem.

I don't think so -- that would have made those notes into a different kind of thing than I think she intended.
(would have made them sort of subsidiary, less prominent than the other notes....)

B
BDB Offline
B
The two editions I have are White Smith Music Publishing, copyright 1898, and Schirmer, copyright 1892. The latter has the extra flag, but the intention is clear in both cases, that those 7 notes are the last half-beat of the measure (in 2/4 time).

Semipro Tech
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
it's just a chromatic run upwards, to be in time for the next bar, nothing outlandish here.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Oh, and don't even start to scrutinize Liszt on this haha

Online Content
BTW, I'm pretty sure that in Op. 110, there's at least one measure (in the recitativo-ish parts) where there's a few more notes/beats than there's supposed to be.

And, if you're a Seymour Bernstein fan (and really y'all should be!) smile smile there's a spot in "Guernica" (from "New Pictures at an Exhibition") where there's half-a-beat too many -- which was just due to a printing error.
He said nobody had ever noticed it before (including him).

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by merplayer
That would be a good interpretation that I would much rather play. It sounds like on a digitized gramophone recording I purchased just now, she speeds it up to fit in the space of time of the prior measure.

I wonder if this is how she wrote it when she composed it or if this was the doing of an arrangement.

I think how fast you choose to play it is a matter of interpretation. You can keep the same note value or speed up or apply rubato ..... there are plenty of choices based on how you see the phrasing of that bar. From a modern notation perspective though, irrespective of tempo, the notation is strictly speaking incorrect since you cant suddenly put 5 8th in a bar which is supposed to have only 4 per the meter. You can change the meter (and or the tempo), you can also decide to put a bar or a section without meter if that is suitable, but you cant break the meter without mentionning it (i guess the composer can do what she wants,....).

No big deal though !

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
opus 111

OP Offline
Originally Posted by Sidokar
I think how fast you choose to play it is a matter of interpretation. You can keep the same note value or speed up or apply rubato ..... there are plenty of choices based on how you see the phrasing of that bar.

After messing with it, letting it fly at the end is a lot of fun, sounds fun, and easier (relatively speaking) than I anticipated. Falls right under 2 hands beautiful.

Originally Posted by BDB
I happen to have two different editions of that piece. There are three flags on each note of the final triplet in both editions, and four for the final four notes in one of them. Either way, the last 7 notes are much faster than the preceding triplets.

I totally changed it to this on my copy, with the final 4 as “semidemihemi quaver whosiwhatsits”, which maybe should be the technical term for 64ths. Thanks! Matches what I hear played much better. Even if other composers take liberties at times, I suspect this is an editorial flub.

Obvs, this isn’t something I have encountered before, but it sounds like it’s out there when dealing with some composers, which is good to know.

Thanks ALL!

B
BDB Offline
B
This is why you should have at least a couple of editions of every piece of music ever written. (As well as 2 or 3 pianos.)

Semipro Tech

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Easiest Chopin Pieces
by Stormbringer - 05/09/21 05:25 PM
Tension when playing fast
by EVC2017 - 05/09/21 04:46 PM
Modifying a Fatar TP100LR?
by CyberGene - 05/09/21 04:07 PM
Put often-miss students at end of day?
by Andamento - 05/09/21 03:25 PM
Kawai US 63H upright....
by Tone Deaf - 05/09/21 03:25 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,820
Posts3,091,605
Members101,460
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission