2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
42 members (Archipelago, CyberGene, dima5222, EB5AGV, Chapitrilfo, Bruce Sato, Calavera, 11 invisible), 376 guests, and 570 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
OP Offline
H
I took piano lessons for a couple of years as a kid but we moved and my parents never got me another teacher for whatever reason. I have been wanting to take up learning again. I love watching the piano channels on Youtube and really fell in the love with the sound of the Bosendorfers. I don't know what it is but there is something so nice about them. I have several people in my family who can play by ear and can usually bang it out perfectly after just a couple of times listening to the song. Unfortunately I don't have that gift.

I know there are some learning piano apps out there that have some promising reviews. And it's more attractive with the covid mess going and its conflicts. I'm just worried that I won't be able to really master the piano with an app and that if I develop a bad technique in the beginning it could be much harder to correct it later on. I'd really appreciate recommendations on whether to go with trying an app or wait until this all blows over and go with private lessons.

Thanks!

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Holdmynote, and welcome to Piano World!

I don't think piano apps will teach you how to really master the piano - as I see it, they can be useful for practising some specific thing, but they are very limited. Instead, you may want to look at online video courses. Now half the people who frequent the Adult Beginners Forum will probably faint of boredom, because I am always saying this, but Piano Career Academy is the best course you can get. A very thorough course with great tutorials, and very good feedback on your recordings. Amongst many other things. I have been a member for a couple of years now, ask me anything. smile
Here it is: Piano Career Academy

Animisha

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
If you can afford one on one tuition then go for this, but make sure you get the best teacher you can possibly get. I have always found discussing problems, and then being able to work through them with a teacher to be one of the major advantages over an app. That and of course the instant feed back. In addition, there is just something about preparing for a face to face lesson that keeps you motivated, and probably makes you work a little harder as a result.

Don't be put off by Covid either, Zoom lessons can work really well.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I've done this and it works good for me.
I have an online teacher through Skype which I take a lesson from when I need/want to. Right now it's once/month.
I use Piano marvel (app) which I think is great and watch YT too.

Hopefully one day I will do my interpretation of Bach French Suite no. 2 in C minor, BWV 813
Right now I'm working on Bach Minuet G Major! :-)
Satie Gymnopedie no 1
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I've never used an app before so can't make recommendations. A number of people use Piano Marvel & Simply Piano.

I have a teacher doing in-person lessons before the lockdown last March. We continue to meet once a week through Zoom. She used to hold 3 adult group classes a week and 1-on-1 private lessons at a local conservatory. The teacher is not going to sit at home waiting for the conservatory to open its doors and nobody who signed up for lessons is going to stop learning.

If you decide to go with a teacher, you may be able to have in-person lessons or through Zoom depending on the location and how safe the teacher feels about meeting face to face.

Over the years, I've accumulated enough repertoire books to last me over a year practicing 1 piece a week without a teacher. The YouTube channel I follow is Piano Lessons On The Web

You get a lot of free tips regarding reading music & choosing pieces to play. If you want to have formal lessons with a teacher, he is right there so just sign up when you're ready.

I started with SimplyPiano but found some frustrations with it. I switched and purchased online video lessons and soon discovered I did miss a lot of basics using Simply Piano. Now, I'm switching yet again, going with RCM level 1 etudes and ABRSM Level 1 and 2 books. I'll find online tutorials to help with each piece. I have two friends who took traditional piano lessons as children and urge me to do the same. I took the last 2 years of my bachelor's degree online (IT degree) so I feel I can learn piano the same way. At some point I may seek an in person instructor but I live in kind of a rural area and I'm not even sure if there is one in the area. Good luck with whatever you choose. LOTS of great info on YouTube for free but I've benefitted by paying for online classes. They are very inexpensive and helpful if you are a self learner. I realize I need a trained ear to hear me play. That actually is possible via the internet too.

SunnyKeys - from Florida but not the Keys. Learning for 2 years.
Newbie - RCM Level 1 etudes, ABRSM Level 1 2019-20 Exam pieces. No exams for me!

Yamaha P125
Ritmuller UP 121
K
K
Originally Posted by thepianoplayer416
Over the years, I've accumulated enough repertoire books to last me over a year practicing 1 piece a week without a teacher. The YouTube channel I follow is Piano Lessons On The Web

I follow him as well, great channel......when did he get all that hair!?! smile

02JAN2021: Alesis Recital Pro
22FEB2021: Roland LX705
Using flowkey, Alfred's All-in-1 L1, Faber & Sight-Reading Books
Started: JAN2021 - No Prior background in Music or Piano
I bought the Piano Lessons on the Web suite of lessons about 18 months ago. Learned a great deal. I'm switching gears for a while but my subscription to his lessons don't expire so I can always pick them back up. My playing isn't ready for the next bit of lessons. I'm actually excited to make a switch in my learning. I enjoyed a few of the music theory classes I did too in the suite. I need to concentrate on rhythm and details. With classes I pushed myself to go to the next lesson all the time. It's self freeing not to have that any longer.

I'm not sure about the hair thing...

SunnyKeys - from Florida but not the Keys. Learning for 2 years.
Newbie - RCM Level 1 etudes, ABRSM Level 1 2019-20 Exam pieces. No exams for me!

Yamaha P125
Ritmuller UP 121

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
The real pop book v3?
by Sebs - 05/05/21 10:35 PM
1997 Young Chang G Model
by texasheat - 05/05/21 10:10 PM
An embarassing first piano lesson
by total_beginner - 05/05/21 05:56 PM
Grand piano geometry question
by TTWK - 05/05/21 05:48 PM
Queen Elisabeth Piano Competition 2021
by AndresVel - 05/05/21 04:44 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,738
Posts3,090,220
Members101,421
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission