2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
40 members (1957, chopin_r_us, Anglagard44, EB5AGV, Dave Horne, desordre, danielp11, CyberGene, 11 invisible), 469 guests, and 609 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3107818 04/19/21 02:52 AM
G
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
G
Does anyone remember this great scene from "Amadeus" when Mozart makes fun of Salieri's newly composed court piece for the king?

And, there is actually a notated score for this piece that I have further annotated myself with Mozart's talking / comments and the mocking laughter written in -- as he is playing the score:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
It's Non più andrai from The Marriage of Figaro:

For the scene, the music is reworked back to its basic harmonies, which was Salieri's 'original' little ditty for keyboard, from which Wolfie allegedly improvised on and expanded..........

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
E
E
Let's all Petition Netflix, more piano movies.

Last edited by EinLudov; 04/19/21 08:41 AM.
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by bennevis
It's Non più andrai from The Marriage of Figaro:

For the scene, the music is reworked back to its basic harmonies, which was Salieri's 'original' little ditty for keyboard, from which Wolfie allegedly improvised on and expanded..........
I seem to recall hearing this sung in English - ah, yes, here it is: Peter Dawson - Non piu andrai

regards
Pete
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
the whole movie is based on a fantasy by Pushkin, Salieri was a nice man, and a teacher of Beethoven's. And not at all a bad composer as most people tend to think after watching the film, fake news.

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
I concur. I dont like too much this movie which is childlish and is a caricature, based on a play. Factually this scene actually never happend. Salieri is a good composer, who tried to help Mozart. He was highly recognized in Vienna, much more than Mozart has ever been and had no reason to be jealous. He also taught several key figures like Beethoven and Schubert. And he was also the teacher of Mozart son, at the request of his wife Constance !

E
E
Originally Posted by dolce sfogato
the whole movie is based on a fantasy by Pushkin, Salieri was a nice man, and a teacher of Beethoven's. And not at all a bad composer as most people tend to think after watching the film, fake news.

What's a good reference for the accurate drama of this timeline.

B
B
Originally Posted by Sidokar
I concur. I dont like too much this movie which is childlish and is a caricature, based on a play. Factually this scene actually never happend.
All publicity is good publicity, as Mozart would say (or - 'There is no such thing as bad publicity.') And I'm pretty sure that "Amadeus" introduced many people to the delights of classical music......especially when they see that classical composers & musicians can be susceptible to little (& large) foibles, just like normal people. grin

Very little in the movie was true (apart from Mozart's scatological obsession, which he apparently shared with his close circle) but it did introduce non-classical (and even classical) audiences to a wide range of great music, quite a lot of which is not 'popular' Mozart. There is no Eine kleine Nachtmusik or K545, or even K550 in the movie, for example. And I have the movie to thank for introducing me to Pergolesi's Stabat Mater, which at the time I'd never heard (as I was relatively young & innocent then whistle), and which subsequently became one of my favorite religious works.

When it was released, I was on holiday in the Netherlands, and had to watch it while in Amsterdam - and was amazed that at the end, there was complete silence, and not a single person in the packed cinema got up to leave during the long closing credits (when all the music and the performers was listed), accompanied by the Romanze from K466, after which there was prolonged applause. Maybe the Dutch really love their Mozart, I thought, and couldn't bear to leave before all the music was finished.

When I returned home, I watched it again in a cinema in London - without Dutch subtitles - and again the same happened.

Maybe, we all love Mozart........ thumb

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
I think the tragic shortness of life of this wonderful composer, combined with the notion that his last unfinished composition was a Requiem-mass... added to the fact that in his day corpses were buried outside the city bounderies because of a plague, how unlike our days, And his everlasting popularity may have given rise to some sort of legendary stories, the truth was so much simpler.

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!
G
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by grand_BB_71
And, there is actually a notated score for this piece that I have further annotated myself with Mozart's talking / comments and the mocking laughter written in -- as he is playing the score:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

How about the score?

Everyone already knows that the Amadeus movie was not very factual -- however, the point of the post was to share the SCORE above with my own annotations of Mozart's comments added to the playing -- it is exactly as Tim Hulce does this as he sort of fake performs the playing -- have been playing through the piece myself and find it to be rather fun to play while adding in the vocal comments -- and, it's not that hard!

Does anyone else like the score and want to give it a go?

Feel free to study it and post your videos. grin

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
The funniest scene for me was the one following this one where Salieri stars at the crucifix with contempt and says sarcastically, "Grazi, signore."

Townley: Piano Concerto No 2 in C Minor Op 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AK1WR7oPY44
People who enjoy the movie as much as I do (over the years I have seen it about 25 times in three languages), most recently (before COVID) with the Seattle Symphony Orchestra playing the music (Amadeus, Live!) might enjoy this documentary:

1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
There is the famous scene of Handel vs. Scarlatti also fun to watch:

People who wrote great music were also improvisers before writing many of the themes down on paper and published into scores.

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
cheap sponge instead of felt?
by chopin_r_us - 05/14/21 05:17 AM
First International Stretto Piano Festival
by Rhonda B - 05/14/21 04:19 AM
Kurzweil SP88X
by Micahjd - 05/14/21 02:24 AM
Steinway Sale this weekend?
by Gombessa - 05/13/21 10:41 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,920
Posts3,093,348
Members101,513
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission