2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
27 members (Frédéric L, DPPianoPhil, clothearednincompo, fatar760, 36251, fr34k, Freddo, CyberGene, 8 invisible), 938 guests, and 476 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 272 of 276 1 2 270 271 272 273 274 275 276
F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by mmathew
The last few posts targeting Pete14 sound like personal attacks IMO.

I'm sorry if my post in some way started that; it wasn't my intention. It was just meant as a humorous remark. I don't mind Pete14's posts. Sometimes I read them (and find them funny), sometimes I skip them if I expect that there's nothing in it for me after reading the first line.

I'm sure some people skip my posts or other technical posts with regard on how to exactly set up the NV-10's favorite system without inadvertently triggering a bug that causes the planet to blow up. (I hear the CA-99 is much worse... in that case I'm lucky the NV-10 is basically a CA-98 inside.)

Last edited by Falsch; 04/14/21 07:58 AM.

Kawai Novus NV-10 | Pianoteq 7 (Kremsegg 1 & 2, Ruckers Harpsichord, KIVIR)
Intel NUC i3-6100U, 8GB, SSD | iPad Pro 12.9 2018 | forScore
F
F
Originally Posted by Gombessa
So, it's to be my destiny to follow JoBert's footsteps one day behind...

I replaced the spring on my NV10 with the one I linked from McMasterCarr earlier in the thread.

Long story short, it's a dramatic difference in the feel of the sustain pedal. Before, the sustain was the heaviest of the three pedals, now it's the lightest. In fact, the new spring is closer in feel to NO spring than it is to the original sustain spring. The new pedal weight is about the lightest I've felt in a grand, about equal to the 214cm Bosendorfer I play (which I think has a very light pedal weight and key action).

I also set up my Yamaha FC3A pedal (and I just noticed that Yamaha greases the spring in that pedal) next to it, and they're actually very comparable, with the FC3A having a bit more travel and the new spring in the NV10 being just a tiny bit lighter.

Generally, I think it's an improvement, since my baseline comparison for the NV10 has always been against the grands that I know, rather than an SK-EX that I've never laid hands on before. I'll need a few more hours on it before posting more, though.

I'll post some precise measurements of the spring differences in the morning, but for now, here are some comparison pics. The original Kawai spring is on the left, the new spring (which is just a tad shorter) is on the right:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Before:
[Linked Image]

After:
[Linked Image]

PS - it was a bit of a pain to get the original spring out, but it probably shouldn't have been. The slot/counterbore that the spring sits is only about 1mm deep on the top and bottom, so I could have just pulled/pried it out rather than try to compress it with a flathead and try to wiggle it free. It's probably easier to remove if you open the back panel rather than the front (which is what I did).

Hello,

The only tiny issue with my NV10 is a very expected one. The damper pedal spring. My right foot is getting tired!

Since I shipped the piano to Chile, I don't have warranty anymore. So, I wanted to ask. Is there someone in this group who can sell me a soft spring? I can pay via Paypal in advance.

Thanks!

Fernando

Kawai NV10, Pianoteq 7 (Steinway D, Bechstein, Electric)
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by frosas
The only tiny issue with my NV10 is a very expected one. The damper pedal spring. My right foot is getting tired!

Since I shipped the piano to Chile, I don't have warranty anymore. So, I wanted to ask. Is there someone in this group who can sell me a soft spring? I can pay via Paypal in advance.

Check here -- the new spring is just a trimmed down old spring:

https://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthr...ds-on-hard-damper-pedal.html#Post3073604

It has been reported that technicians just cut the original spring when performing this adjustment. You might hire someone at the local Kawai dealer to do it or attempt it yourself.

F
F
Originally Posted by navindra

Check here -- the new spring is just a trimmed down old spring:

https://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthr...ds-on-hard-damper-pedal.html#Post3073604

It has been reported that technicians just cut the original spring when performing this adjustment. You might hire someone at the local Kawai dealer to do it or attempt it yourself.

Hi Navindra,

Nice piece of advice! I will try.

Thank you!

G
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
G
If you don't want to cut the spring, you can see if McMaster Carr ships to Chile. There are,.oddly enough, spring-specific shops on the internet too that may ship internationally. You should be able to find the diameter/length/rate needed in this thread!

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
F
F
If you don't want to cut the spring, you can see if McMaster Carr ships to Chile. There are,.oddly enough, spring-specific shops on the internet too that may ship internationally. You should be able to find the diameter/length/rate needed in this thread!

Will try! Is this one right?

302 Stainless Steel Corrosion-Resistant Compression Springs, 1.5" Long, 0.6" OD, 0.49" ID | McMaster-Carr

G
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
G

302 Stainless Steel Corrosion-Resistant Compression Springs, 1.5" Long, 0.6" OD, 0.49" ID | McMaster-Carr

Yep, looks exactly like what I bought back in Sept 2018:

#9435K129: 302 Stainless Steel Corrosion-Resistant Compression Springs, 1.5" Long, 0.6" OD, 0.49" ID, Packs of 5

$6 for the springs, $7 for shipping smile

F
F

Yep, looks exactly like what I bought back in Sept 2018:

#9435K129: 302 Stainless Steel Corrosion-Resistant Compression Springs, 1.5" Long, 0.6" OD, 0.49" ID, Packs of 5

$6 for the springs, $7 for shipping smile

Will ask. Are you using that one? Do you recommend it?

G
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
G

Absolutely. It's a great improvement. It makes the sustain pedal a bit lighter than the soft/sos pedals, but it's to me a night and day difference and much more comfortable to use, particularly with socks or bare feet. Also, I have a 7-yo practicing and taking lessons on it, and it's easier for her to push down as well.

I just removed the stock spring, took off the beautifully wrapped red felt and wrapped it around the new spring.

I've used the new spring for over a year and a half and have no complaints.

F
F

Absolutely. It's a great improvement. It makes the sustain pedal a bit lighter than the soft/sos pedals, but it's to me a night and day difference and much more comfortable to use, particularly with socks or bare feet. Also, I have a 7-yo practicing and taking lessons on it, and it's easier for her to push down as well.

I just removed the stock spring, took off the beautifully wrapped red felt and wrapped it around the new spring.

I've used the new spring for over a year and a half and have no complaints.

Thanks Gombessa!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
Yes, Kawai owes you a screw.
But if covid is causing delays ... I'd prioritize the notion that you owe yourself a proper repair.
I'd just go buy the screw.

So the screw anecdote got blown somewhat out of proportion, but I unexpectedly received a screw+bracket from Kawai America today. The screw wasn't a 100% exact match, just a tad shorter but the diameter seemed about right. thumb

Fortunately it went right in and looks good, and is much better than the previous screw, so I'm happy to close the chapter on this and go right on enjoying the Novus NV10. cool

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I'm happy to close the chapter on this and go right on enjoying the Novus NV10. cool

[Linked Image]

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Fortunately it went right in and looks good, and is much better than the previous screw, so I'm happy to close the chapter on this and go right on enjoying the Novus NV10. cool

Good smile If all goes well, the technician should come tomorrow for my NV10, to regulate the F4 and G5 keys (at the very least, but E4, G4 and A4 could use a tiny adjustment as well), and replace the connection cover, which has a jagged edge on one side since it came out of the box. (This is a bit less of an issue for me, because it doesn't affect playing. If the cover isn't replaced, I could just sand the edge a few strokes and it would probably be solved as well.)

Last edited by Falsch; 04/19/21 08:11 AM.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

That's a wowie Navindra - do I also sense some relief? Take a bow, Kawai America!

Happy days; play on!

Last edited by mmathew; 04/19/21 09:33 AM.

A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G. K. Chesterton
M
mwf Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Falsch

Good smile If all goes well, the technician should come tomorrow for my NV10, to regulate the F4 and G5 keys (at the very least, but E4, G4 and A4 could use a tiny adjustment as well), and replace the connection cover, which has a jagged edge on one side since it came out of the box. (This is a bit less of an issue for me, because it doesn't affect playing. If the cover isn't replaced, I could just sand the edge a few strokes and it would probably be solved as well.)

Where you live? Not in UK I presume.. I couldn't imagine a tech coming out just to regulate a few keys, i mean certainly they can fix connection cover but don't hold your breath on them going the extra mile for you and regulating any keys. Please let us know of they do though and what happens.

F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by mwf
Where you live? Not in UK I presume.. I couldn't imagine a tech coming out just to regulate a few keys, i mean certainly they can fix connection cover but don't hold your breath on them going the extra mile for you and regulating any keys. Please let us know of they do though and what happens.

Netherlands. If these keys aren't regulated, I can forget playing pp and ppp; even p is quite hard because I have to take those keys into account and play 'just so' to get a sound. Completely forget about some of the Scarlatti sonata's with the machine-gun repetitions; with some keys in the C4-C5 middle register that's completely impossible.

If these keys aren't regulated correctly by the Kawai certified technician and dismissed like "just have to live with it", then I'll find someone else who _can_ regulate them and pay for it. That would also mean that this is my second and last Kawai instrument ever.

I'm not going to keep playing a piano that makes it hard to play some of the more demanding pieces. I'm not a concert pianist by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm also not a beginner that has only two sounds in a key: none, and max volume.

I just paid 9K for a piano, so I'm not going to be satisfied with something that "almost" works for "most" pieces. I never was with my photography equipment. I had that regulated by professionals as well, when Canon thought that a mis-focus of half an inch was "within parameters."

Last edited by Falsch; 04/19/21 03:47 PM.

M
mwf Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Falsch
Originally Posted by mwf

Netherlands. If these keys aren't regulated, I can forget playing pp and ppp; even p is quite hard because I have to take those keys into account and play 'just so' to get a sound. Completely forget about some of the Scarlatti sonata's with the machine-gun repetitions; with some keys in the C4-C5 middle register that's completely impossible.

If these keys aren't regulated correctly by the Kawai certified technician and dismissed like "just have to live with it", then I'll find someone else who _can_ regulate them and pay for it. That would also mean that this is my second and last Kawai instrument ever.

I'm not going to keep playing a piano that makes it hard to play some of the more demanding pieces. I'm not a concert pianist by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm also not a beginner that has only two sounds in a key: none, and max volume.

I just paid 9K for a piano, so I'm not going to be satisfied with something that "almost" works for "most" pieces. I never was with my photography equipment. I had that regulated by professionals as well, when Canon thought that a mis-focus of half an inch was "within parameters."

Please let us know what happens. Totally agree with everything you said. I wonder if anyone knows if the NV10 can be regulated by any piano technician or does it have to be a kawai certified tech?

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Hello @Falsch,

Succes morgen, heel benieuwd!

(Eng: Good luck tomorrow, interested to know how it turns out!)

Cheers,

HZ

F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by mwf
[quote=Falsch]
Please let us know what happens. Totally agree with everything you said. I wonder if anyone knows if the NV10 can be regulated by any piano technician or does it have to be a kawai certified tech?

It's not a "Kawai" tech. It's someone who works for a Kawai-certified repair/service center. That service center does repairs for a whole bunch of other brands. (It's the same with phones: there's a repair center in the Netherlands that fixes at least 12 brands of phones.)

Therefore, even if the tech doesn't want to regulate the keys under warranty because of Kawai stating that the piano plays "within parameters", I can still have him regulate the keys as an out of warranty repair. That'll probably cost me €150-200 though.

I've had a washing machine repaired that broke just outside of the warranty; because it was still within expected service life, I got the labor part of the repair for free. Labor was about €180 of a €300 rrepair. I don't expect an OOW regulation of the NV-10 to be cheaper.

We'll see what happens. After Kawai ignored the support form they themselves asked me to fill out for two months (so my dealer had to contact them personally to get this going again), and reading the recent stuff (and the ongoing drama) in the CA79/CA99 topic, let's just say that Kawai's good name is hanging in the balance with me.

My opinion of a brand or company is not based on the fact if there are problems with a device or not; there can always be problems with complex devices (or services). That is inevitable; some _will_ have smaller or bigger problems. The opinion is based on how fast and accurately a brand or company resolves those problems.

Kawai isn't fast. I'm now just hoping that the technician is helpful and accurate with this adjustment (but if he is or isn't will probably be governed by parameters set by Kawai.)

I've worked for a big company, in a support role, and there have been instances that I was not allowed to assist a customer with regard to improving the usage of the product, because it was already working 'good enough'; and spending any time on improving it cost money, and so the customer had to live with 'good enough'. At least until five o'clock, because I'd tell the customer to post the question to forum X or Y, and then I'd post the answer in that thread in the evening, much like Kawai James sometimes does on PianoWorld.

So, I got major props in the forum, with the customer at the same time completely panning the brand I worked for at the time. In the end, it made the customer feel bad about the brand, it made _me_ feel bad about the brand because I couldn't do my job to the extend I was capable of, and the only thing gained by the brand was a few euro's (or 15 minutes or half an hour, if you want to use that unit of measurement).

Let's just say I know how this support stuff works. I've done it for 6 years in my student time (and shortly after).

"They May Forget What You Said, But They Will Never Forget How You Made Them Feel."
-- I don't know who's quote it is, but it's true.

Last edited by Falsch; 04/19/21 06:20 PM.

@Falsch: Good for you ... for not being satisfied with poor product performance. Go get 'em.

Page 272 of 276 1 2 270 271 272 273 274 275 276

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Nocturne Sounds developing new upright VI
by newer player - 06/19/21 01:50 AM
Roland fp-30X vs fp30 keybed noise level
by netcom61 - 06/19/21 01:40 AM
Scriabin and Rachmaninoff on the Yamaha S7X.
by Sonepica - 06/19/21 12:57 AM
SOS I’m Feeling Scattered
by PianogrlNW - 06/19/21 12:10 AM
Why Liszt - Polonaise No. 1 is Underrated
by Batuhan - 06/18/21 10:25 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,595
Posts3,105,036
Members101,852
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission