2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
46 members (bsalad, Bruce In Philly, boo1234, anotherscott, astrotoy, 36251, 1957, 12 invisible), 498 guests, and 525 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
ADIRL Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Hi.

My soft pedal rod has fallen off twice since I had the piano delivered and prepped. I reinserted it both times. But today I went online and found the Kawai Upright Regulation Manual and it says, Adjust soft pedal: set it until there is 2mm lost motion between hammer rest rail and pedal rod. There is an image showing the soft pedal rod and the distance.

On my piano the lost motion between the hammer rest rail and the pedal rod was much bigger than this, about 10mm. (See image link below) The soft pedal also wasn’t making much of a difference to the tone of the piano. So following the manual I tightened the butterfly nut on the rod until the gap was 2 mm. Now when I depress the pedal the bass keys on the keyboard move slightly too. Is this normal? When the technician was here I don’t remember him adjusting the pedals on the piano.

I also have a problem with the sustain pedal. The sustain pedal didn’t begin to lift the dampers from the strings until the pedal was almost half depressed to the floor. The manual says there should only be a little lost motion on the pedal before the dampers begin to lift. So I tightened this nut too until there is about ¼ inch of lost motion on the pedal before the dampers lift from the strings. It is really simple to do as per the manual. Remembering my old piano this now feels right to me. But now I seem to have a slight sustain on the bass notes even when the pedal isn’t depressed. Plus when I do depress the sustain pedal the bass notes dampers move first, ever so slightly, before all the other dampers.

The piano was bought new and uncrated at my house and a month or so later had its initial prep and first tuning here in my home. I am due another tuning which I am trying to set up. Will a tuning visit include fixing the sustain issue and the early damper movement, now that I have adjusted the pedals and the lost motion.to where the manual says they should be or will I have to schedule a regulation.

[img]http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/galleries/3107790/soft-pedal-lost-motion-on-k500.html[/img]

Last edited by ADIRL; 04/18/21 11:13 PM.
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
The action of the pedals depend on things like how flat the piano is on the floor, so it should be adjusted on-site. Fortunately, that is easy to do on most uprights. But the dampers should lift evenly when the pedal is depressed. One thing to check if the bass is lifting too soon: Make sure all the action bolts are tightened properly. If the action is not properly set in the bass, the dampers will lift too soon. Some actions are a tight fit. For those, I put a screwdriver blade just below the nut, and give it a good hit, and then tighten the nut.

Semipro Tech
A
ADIRL Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Thank you for your reply BDB. The bass is indeed lifting too soon. The piano is new and under warranty and I’d be too freaked out to do an adjustment of that type plus I don’t want to void my warranty. I’ll wait for a proper tech! smile

A side question: after making these adjustments to the pedals according to the regulation manual, now the key touch/action feels lighter to me. Is this my imagination or actually possible?

Sorry you are having these issues, and it should not be happening on a brand new piano.

I'd call the dealer you purchased the piano from and ask them to send a tech ASAP to fix your soft-pedal, damper pedal and check your action.

I agree with BDB in that these should be easy fixes, but you should not have to deal with these kinds of problems on a brand new piano, or worry about voiding your warranty if you decide to fix it yourself. This is why I'd rather have an additional discount, and let the manufacturer/dealer keep their warranty. Fact is, this sort of thing is typically not covered under the warranty, but is part of dealer prep.

Hope you can get it adjusted ASAP so you can enjoy your new piano!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
W
W
It is possible.
When you press the key, it lifts the single damper from the string. The same happens when you press the pedal, but it happens with all of the keys.
Now, you can press down the pedal and press the key. The pedal can be regulated so that the foot did all the damper lifting and pressing the key does not lift the damper further. Or it can be regulated so that pressing the key will have a furyher damper lifting, additional to what the pedal already lifted.
Since dampers have springs, they have resistance. So when the pedal does all the lifting and pressing the key does not reskult in any resistance the action will be lighter.

The correct regulation is when the pedal lifts the dampers a bit more than the key itself.

A
ADIRL Offline OP
OP Offline
A
That makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.

And
Thanks Rick for the suggestions. I think I’ll be giving them a call in a day or so.

Last edited by ADIRL; 04/19/21 07:09 PM.

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Not bad for a baby grand
by Keith D Kerman - 05/13/21 09:43 PM
Soundboard Piano speaker
by Sweelinck - 05/13/21 09:17 PM
Don’t try this at home: Don Pullen style
by RinTin - 05/13/21 09:05 PM
Do you like this Steinway?
by Withindale - 05/13/21 05:35 PM
Bounce is OK!
by pwl - 05/13/21 05:30 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,914
Posts3,093,260
Members101,513
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission