2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
29 members (Barde, EVC2017, chopin_r_us, Boboulus, c.debussy, dlee1001, clothearednincompo, 7 invisible), 407 guests, and 554 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 22 of 23 1 2 20 21 22 23
Online Content
So, here we are, exactly two months since I placed my order for the VPC1 with Sweetwater, and... no joy <sigh>.

A couple of weeks ago, I noticed that they had a used one available, so I took a drive out there to check it out. I was worried about how old it might be, since Kawai has been making these things for eight years now.

The piano guy looked it up on his computer. Turns out it arrived at Sweetwater in the summer of 2020, as a refurb, and was returned by the buyer in December. The refurb status alone should have taken 10-15% off the "new" price, but they were only offering a 20% discount. On his advice, I decided to pass on it, and continue waiting for a new one.

Something tells me I've got another month or more to wait... frown

"I think it's the excitement only a free man can feel; a free man at the start of a long journey, whose conclusion is uncertain." -- Morgan Freeman's character, "Red", in The Shawshank Redemption
The VPC1 was a hot item pre-COVID. I got mine at Sweetwater too, and at the time, they were able to precisely tell me when it would be on stock. All I had to do was wait until the morning of the day to quickly place an order. And as far as my research went at the time, Sweetwater were the first to get items in stock, quicker than PianoSolutions and KraftMusic.

Unfortunately, there is no true competition for the VPC1 - so I totally understand your situation - I hope the logistics kick back into rhythm pretty soon.

First week of June is generally being viewed as a milestone for many items to be in stock at high levels.

A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G. K. Chesterton
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by mmathew
Now that the "breaking in" period is over for you Animisha - let's see (hear) some repertoire!

Re: curved top - did you consider using two long sided mouse pads? I used two long-sided mouse pads, and had cut a slot in them for the music stand to go in. This worked well for me.

[Linked Image]

I don't have this setup anymore. One version of this setup had a laptop in place of the Focusrite, which I moved to the right. The VPC1 is very sturdily built and though the top is curved, I think it can be made to work for you!

Happy playing!

Hi mmathew!

Somehow I have missed your post. The repertoire may come in a week or so, exclusively for this club. wink
I have not considered long sided mouse pads because I didn't know they even existed. It seems to be a very good idea to protect the curved top in this way. I could combine the pads with...

Originally Posted by EB5AGV
transparent soft plastic adhesive pieces on the bottom front, to make for the height difference due to the curvature

I could put such pieces underneath the pads. I do not want to put these on my laptop, because I use my laptop also for other purposes. For instance, when mixing audio and video for a recording, I sit at a table and I want my laptop to be stable.

Originally Posted by Ralphiano
Another option for preventing sliding on the curved top is those kitchen devices made of thin, pliable silicon called Trivets, designed for setting hot pans on a table without damaging the table.

This is what I use right now! But they are too small to prevent scratches.

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by SeaDrive
So, here we are, exactly two months since I placed my order for the VPC1 with Sweetwater, and... no joy <sigh>.

It is a long wait. I feel for you!

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
EB5AGV Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by SeaDrive

A couple of weeks ago, I noticed that they had a used one available, so I took a drive out there to check it out. I was worried about how old it might be, since Kawai has been making these things for eight years now.

The piano guy looked it up on his computer. Turns out it arrived at Sweetwater in the summer of 2020, as a refurb, and was returned by the buyer in December. The refurb status alone should have taken 10-15% off the "new" price, but they were only offering a 20% discount. On his advice, I decided to pass on it, and continue waiting for a new one.

Something tells me I've got another month or more to wait... frown

In perspective, I am glad I jumped at the oportunity to buy mine in July 2020. I bought it used, and came with licenses for Synthogy Ivory II Grand Pianos and Ivory II American Concert D, a set of nice Harman Kardon SoundSticks 2.1 speakers and a custom wood support, for 750€. I did a one-day trip of about 750km to pick it up!. But it was worth the hassle.

I hope your wait ends soon!

Jose

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1
...plus some other DPs, synths, controllers and VSTs

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Animisha
Somehow I have missed your post. The repertoire may come in a week or so, exclusively for this club. wink
I have not considered long sided mouse pads because I didn't know they even existed.

I think the proper name for those would be gaming mouse pads - in case you're having trouble finding them online...

A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G. K. Chesterton
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Now that the "breaking in" period is over for you Animisha - let's see (hear) some repertoire!

As promised, here it is!

P
pwl Offline
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
P
Animisha, I really enjoyed this - thank you for posting! And fwiw, I thought Pianoteq was sounding pretty darn good.

As promised, here it is!

Animisha, you seem to have an elegant and cozy setup for a VST!

The sound is so warm and articulate. But I think it has to do with your playing than anything else :-) Compliments!!!

G. K. Chesterton
EB5AGV Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Wonderful sound and playing, congratulations!. You have adapted perfectly to the VPC1 thumb

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thank you, pwl, mmathew and EB5AGV, that is very kind of you!

Pianoteq 6, Bechstein D282, VPC1 preset pianoteq and Pianoteq fully neutral. That's my setup. smile

EB5AGV Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Thank you, pwl, mmathew and EB5AGV, that is very kind of you!

Pianoteq 6, Bechstein D282, VPC1 preset pianoteq and Pianoteq fully neutral. That's my setup. smile

I agree with you on VPC1 curve setup with Pianoteq. My only problem is when I forget to change it and play VSL Synchron Pianos. They sound really dull with that setting eek

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1

[Linked Image]
P
pwl Offline
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
P
Animisha, can you refresh my memory on what stand you're using? Thanks!

A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
Beautiful!

Acoustic: Yamaha C6 with AdSilent
Digital: Yamaha N3X, Kawai VPC1 with Pianoteq
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thank you AlphaTerminus! Pwl, I bought Stagg MXS-A1 Universal Stand. I thought it would be quite ugly but in fact, it is very descreet, so you hardly notice it. However, do you see the silly screw close to the middle? Sometimes that touches my knee, so I had to replace it.

[Linked Image]

H
Online Content
H
Hello,

I bought Stagg MXS-A1 Universal Stand. I thought it would be quite ugly but in fact, it is very descreet, so you hardly notice it. However, do you see the silly screw close to the middle? Sometimes that touches my knee, so I had to replace it.

[Linked Image]

I use this exact same stand and am quite happy with it. It sits like a rock and is a much better option than X- or Z-stands. In relation to its price, it is next to unbeatable.

Funnily enough, I had the exact same reservations as @Animisha about its aesthetics, but in real life it is totally fine. I use it with only the rear one of those indeed 'silly screws' in place, and that works just fine as well.

Great to read from your experience that it will hold a VPC, because a VPC1 or who knows 2 is amongst my several piano dreams. So once again I learned something today, thanks @Animisha!

Cheers and happy playing,

HZ

EB5AGV Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
VPC1 maintenance?

As the VPC1 has been in the market for so many years, I wonder if anyone has needed some maintenance. Mine, which is a May 2016 sold unit and so 5 years old (I bought it used in July 2020), had not yet needed any technical care, which is a good thing thumb

But there is no eternal keybed nor electronics, so I wonder about other people experiences.

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1

[Linked Image]
E
E
Seems they're not nearly as popular as the mp11se, still in stock, when the mp11's all went in the span of 2 days.

EB5AGV Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by EinLudov
Seems they're not nearly as popular as the mp11se, still in stock, when the mp11's all went in the span of 2 days.

Well, of course not everyone enjoys fiddling with VSTs and such, so a complete, independent self-contained instrument, is more popular. For me it is the opposite, I love the upgrade possibilities of a controller plus VSTs setup.

My use is in my home studio, that helps also. Portability is not a problem eek

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1

[Linked Image]
Tyr Online Content
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
Bought a VPC1 on monday. It was in Stock in Berlin and is currently on the way. I hope it's here at the end of the week. Piano Movers in Germany are generally a bit slow.

Kawai: NV-5 | VPC-1
Pianoteq 7 Pro | Garritan CFX Full | Vienna Imperial | Keyscape Full | VI Labs: Ravenscroft 275 - Modern U - Keysuite Grand | Minigrand
Page 22 of 23 1 2 20 21 22 23

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Pianoteq is a miracle
by meghdad - 05/09/21 05:59 AM
Garritan CFX hiss fix ?
by Barde - 05/09/21 04:15 AM
We remember and honor our heroes
by Maximillyan - 05/08/21 11:27 PM
Playing with others for Senior Recital
by suzukiparent - 05/08/21 11:09 PM
Surprise under 80 years of dust
by TimM_980 - 05/08/21 07:38 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,807
Posts3,091,378
Members101,455
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission