2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
31 members (ando, Gianluca, Deltajockey, Dusan, Coda9, Burkey, 9 invisible), 448 guests, and 580 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
LeiSed Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Hello All,
First, I apologize as I am a new user and having difficulty trying to search for this digital keyboard, and most anything else! For example, I tried to locate this Yamaha YPG-535 on the digital keyboard forum price list, and couldn’t locate it. Nor could I find anything under these search terms.

Generally, I’m searching for a relatively light, compact slab keyboard in order to take with me in my small travel trailer. Searching for one with weighted keys, decent sound, silent play ability, and possibly recording on it.

A local ad popped up for a “Yamaha digital keyboard YPG-535” for $265. It states it’s barely been used and in excellent condition, and comes with a folding stand.

Not knowing one iota about digital keyboards, I’m seeking advice From anybody who knows anything about this or similar keyboards.

Just for some further information, I’m an adult who had about two years of fairly useless piano lessons as a child. I basically taught myself in subsequent years.

At this stage, and after 10 years or so of not playing, I’d love to learn how to read music again, exercise my fingers in order to play well eventually, with the goal of becoming an intermediate player as soon as I can. Over the years, I did resume playing the piano now and then, and found that it was immensely enjoyable! I don’t know if this is any measure of my abilities, but I did manage to learn the first movement of “Moonlight Sonata on my own.

I do have my daughter’s Yamaha baby grand at home. But we will be traveling quite a bit over the next year with our travel trailer, and wanted something “for the road” in order to keep my fingers nimble and be able to continue practicing as well as playing.

I have a physical disability which renders me very physically weak, so the keyboard would need to be on the lighter side, for me to be able to pull it out of the trailer storage and use it.

So, I’m asking for any input and advice as to where to start looking and what brands might fit these parameters.

Also, since this keyboard just popped up on the local community network, I wondered if anybody had information about this one regarding quality, key action, sound, and asking price, etc.
I appreciate any input! Thank you!

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
FWIW (this may be a minority opinion, here) --

. . .
I have a physical disability which renders me very physically weak, so the keyboard would need to be on the lighter side, for me to be able to pull it out of the trailer storage and use it.

First, the YPG-525 has "semi-weighted" keys. I think there's not much difference between "semi-weighted" and "synth-action" (spring-loaded) keys. It's _easy_ to feel the difference between those two, and 'weighted" or "fully-weighted" keys, which is what you want if you want to transfer to playing an acoustic piano.

"88 fully-weighted keys" slab-format DP's (with built-in loudspeakers) have a minimum weight of about 25 pounds (e.g. the Casio PX-S1000 or Yamaha P-125). They're clumsy to move around.

There is one DP -- the Yamaha P-121 -- which has 73 fully-weighted keys, and weighs 22 lbs. It's a bit shorter and lighter than the 88-key models in the same line, and should work OK for beginner pieces and practice.

If I were going to live in a travel trailer, and was physically weak, I might make do with a 61-key, or 73-key, "synth-action" keyboard. Those should weigh about 10 - 12 lbs -- smaller, cheaper, and much easier to carry around, than the weighted-key models. Check out the Yamaha PSR-E373 (61 keys) or EW-310 (73 keys). There are Casio equivalents.

If you practice on a synth-action keyboard, you will have some adjusting to do, when you get back home and play the Yamaha acoustic piano. Lessons would be a good idea -- the finger-mechanics are different, and a good teacher can show you how to strike the acoustic's keys correctly.

If you want to watch some videos about what's on the market, Jeremy See has lots of YouTube videos discussing features and trade-offs of various lightweight models.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq
C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Yamaha always takes me to their Finnish site, but it's mostly English anyway: https://fi.yamaha.com/fi/products/musical_instruments/pianos/portable_grand/ypg-535/index.html

There we have e.g. the dimensions:

Width 1,354mm (53-1/3") with keyboard stand
Height 775mm (30-1/2") with keyboard stand
Depth 485mm (19-1/8") with keyboard stand
Weight 17.0kg (37lbs., 8oz.) with keyboard stand

And like said above, it's really not a "piano" per se. These models were known as either YPG or DGX depending on the market region. The 6xx models have the weighted hammer action keys and all the others don't.

Currently only the 6xx series exists (as the DGX-670) and the others were discontinued years ago.

If you just want to practise piano then they (YPG/DGX) have a lot of unnecessary features. The speakers may be quite good though which isn't always the case with "portable" digital pianos. They might also have some learning features on that tiny display. And some generations apparently had troubles with the display malfunctioning over time.

L
LeiSed Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Great information!. Big “thank yous” to you both, for placing me on the right track!
Definitely need something compact, so your leads will help. As it’s only part-time use, and away from our baby grand, a smaller keyboard should provide the ability to learn notes, as well as keep my weak fingers moving.
As Charles suggested, an 88-key may not be necessary for my interim purposes. This will help lighten the keyboard as well.

I’ll check out the See videos, too! I appreciate this, and any other videos or links that may help me in this situation.
I’ll try to post what keyboard I ultimately purchase.
Thanks again, for your time, and the wonderful advice and insight!

PS- is there a “trick” to searching for specific types of pianos, or specific terms/phrases? When I search for a particular Yamaha model, for example, anything Yamaha pops up, for pages and pages. What am I doing wrong? TIA

E
E
For on the road, Casio s3000 is a good pick.

Originally Posted by LeiSed
PS- is there a “trick” to searching for specific types of pianos, or specific terms/phrases? When I search for a particular Yamaha model, for example, anything Yamaha pops up, for pages and pages. What am I doing wrong? TIA
Well don't put "yamaha" in the search just search for the model number alone. Doing that gets you to things like...

https://www.pianodreamers.com/yamaha-ypg535-review/

The important thing in that (IMHO) is that it is NOT a hammer action keybed so thus is more of a "keyboard" than a "digital piano".

R
R
+1 for Yamaha P121. Weighted keys, a bit shorter and lighter than any of the 88 note boards.

Kawai ES110. At 26 pounds it's super light weight for an 88 note board, and the action is lighter than any weighted action I've tried. AND, it just happens to be wonderfully expressive and fun to play!

Randy
Kawai ES110/ES920, Casio CT-X5000
Flute / Alto recorder / Melodica / iPad music apps
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
For a travel trailer, you might prefer a YPG-235, the 76-key version of the YPG-535. The YPG-235 is common on the used market for $100-150 normally, but I'm not sure about pandemic pricing. But if you want a graded weight hammer action, these are not that, as noted above.

Play classical repertoire from score. Improvise blues.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Dancing on the keys - new post on my piano blog
by BlizzardPiano - 05/15/21 11:14 PM
Will the bass on a brand new S7X (or C7X) improve?
by Sonepica - 05/15/21 10:07 PM
Piano Notation Cheat Sheet
by klavieronin - 05/15/21 09:35 PM
Kurzweil SP88X
by Micahjd - 05/15/21 08:58 PM
left hand solo
by rogerzell - 05/15/21 07:07 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,953
Posts3,094,001
Members101,532
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission