2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
52 members (Burkey, Beansparrow, Ampersand, AndyP, 20/20 Vision, 36251, AlphaTerminus, anotherscott, 6 invisible), 518 guests, and 589 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
other high quality pianos like M&H and Steinway?

Many seem to rate Baldwins of a certain age extremely highly. But, from what I can see, they are often priced extremely low compared to other high quality makers? Why is this so? Of course, I don't expect them to equal Steinway in sale price, but their prices seem extremely low in comparison, almost as if some people think they are not so good.

W
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
W
Defunct product line?

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Maybe it’s not that they consider them not good, but the demand is not as high.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
H
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
H
I rarely saw a Baldwin that was prepared extremely good.

I’m not saying that the Baldwin produced mediocre pianos but the latest American Baldwin pianos are almost 20 years old.

I don’t see dealers spending money preparing those used Baldwin. Mainly because the new Baldwin are not produced in US anymore and younger pianists may think Baldwin as a Chinese stencil brand.

Piano: 1982 NY Steinway Model B, Yamaha AvantGrand N3X
VST(preference in order): VSL Synchron Pianos, Vienna Imperial, Garritan CFX, VI Labs Modern U, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq
Originally Posted by dogperson
Maybe it’s not that they consider them not good, but the demand is not as high.

I agree. I also think that not everyone is a USA made Baldwin fan, or think their pianos are all that good. As for demand, you may be right, not sure it is all that high at the moment, but that could change, and the prices increase.

I also agree with Withindale about the defunct product line, even though Baldwin was sold to Gibson Guitar Corp. and puts the Baldwin name on new pianos made in China, to Baldwin/Gibson's specs, of course.

On the other hand, some dealers put a very high price tag on the authentic US made Baldwin Artist grands. So, perhaps they do not always sell for less... I know Robert Estrin, with Living Pianos, thinks highly of his used US made Baldwin pianos.

I was fortunate to get my Baldwin R grand (ca.1999) for a good price, although it was somewhat of a fixer-upper, but mostly cosmetic. I like the way it sounds and plays.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Rickster
I know Robert Estrin, with Living Pianos, thinks highly of his used US made Baldwin pianos.

I thought older Baldwins were his specialty but maybe he's changed his product focus, as he doesn't have any in his inventory right now!

2001 Petrof 125 -> 2002 Petrof IV -> 1999 Bösendorfer 225
Originally Posted by twocats
Originally Posted by Rickster
I know Robert Estrin, with Living Pianos, thinks highly of his used US made Baldwin pianos.

I thought older Baldwins were his specialty but maybe he's changed his product focus, as he doesn't have any in his inventory right now!

Well, I was basing my comments on past experience, knowing that Robert Estrin specialized in the authentic USA made Baldwins. I didn't think to check his current inventory at Living Pianos. Guess he's sold out of them at the moment. Sorry about that... smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
P
P
You'll appreciate this story... In my recent piano search I found two Baldwin L pianos at two different dealers. One from 1988, the other from the 1990s.
I made an appointment at one of the dealers specifically to check out that piano.
At BOTH dealers when I got there the damper pedals were disconnected.

I thought it was pretty ironic that two of the same model pianos, at two different dealers, had the same issue.
It's a minor issue of course. But I was pretty aggravated since I had made a special trip just for that piano. So with regards to the original post, yes I have noticed that these pianos are not well prepped on the sales floor.

2011 Estonia L190
S
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

Many seem to rate Baldwins of a certain age extremely highly. But, from what I can see, they are often priced extremely low compared to other high quality makers? Why is this so? Of course, I don't expect them to equal Steinway in sale price, but their prices seem extremely low in comparison, almost as if some people think they are not so good.

Pre-1930 M&H are worth more than a similar Baldwin's of the same era. From about 1930 to some point in the late 20th century, Baldwin's of the era are worth more than similar M&H. 21st century M&H are worth more than similar 21st century Baldwin's. Is there evidence that market prices do not follow suit for each era?

Play classical repertoire from score. Improvise blues.
Originally Posted by Sweelinck
Pre-1930 M&H are worth more than a similar Baldwin's of the same era. From about 1930 to some point in the late 20th century, Baldwin's of the era are worth more than similar M&H. 21st century M&H are worth more than similar 21st century Baldwin's. Is there evidence that market prices do not follow suit for each era?
Interesting thought. That would certainly take a little research to verify. Of course, in the 21st century, M&H is starting to build their lower end lines in China, and Baldwin has been building exclusively in China for the past 15 years or so. The Chinese built M&H's and Baldwins are probably similar in quality and price.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
OP Online Content

I only have an impression that Baldwin artist grands from the second period you mentioned, whether used or rebuilt and especially the 7' and concert grand sizes, seem incredibly low priced not necessarily compared to M&Hs of the same era but to Steinways.

Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member

I only have an impression that Baldwin artist grands from the second period you mentioned, whether used or rebuilt and especially the 7' and concert grand sizes, seem incredibly low priced not necessarily compared to M&Hs of the same era but to Steinways.

Seems like you are surprised that Baldwin and Steinway of the same period are not priced the same. I would expect there to be a large discrepancy: Steinway has maintained name recognition for ‘quality’, while Baldwin has not. In fact, I would not expect younger pianists to know that Baldwin was once a shining star.

The takeaway: if you like the American piano sound, try a vintage Baldwin.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
OP Online Content
Originally Posted by dogperson

Seems like you are surprised that Baldwin and Steinway of the same period are not priced the same. I would expect there to be a large discrepancy.
Of course, there's a large discrepancy but it's far larger than I would expect. Something around half the price of similar age used or similar rebuilt Steinway.

S
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
S
Steinway grands from roughly 1920-1970 are highly sought after, and (rightly or wrongly) are considered by some folks to be the best pianos of all time. I would expect to pay a significant premium for one in comparison to a Baldwin of the era, although any difference in quality is much less than the difference in price.

Post-WW2, with European piano makers struggling with the aftermath of the war (which affected piano makers in what at the time were W. Germany, E. Germany, Czechoslovakia, and Austria differently, but all were impacted negatively), Steinway and Baldwin were hands down the top 2 piano makes for a period of time. Both had their following, but I think a majority of pianists would rank the Steinways of the era a little higher.

Play classical repertoire from score. Improvise blues.

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Do steinways have smaller key depth?
by NightShade - 05/11/21 08:11 PM
another mansion piano
by rogerzell - 05/11/21 06:47 PM
Portrait of Manet
by Dfrankjazz - 05/11/21 06:00 PM
Are any of the following songs good for beginners?
by Dutch-guy - 05/11/21 05:47 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,871
Posts3,092,443
Members101,481
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission