2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
51 members (butchkoch, clothearednincompo, chopin_r_us, Alex Hutor, 1957, Anglagard44, 14 invisible), 528 guests, and 639 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
OP Offline
P
Hi all

Returning here after a hiatus as I am back in the market. Been lurking for a little while so forgive me. I am an intermediate player and aiming for advanced ultimately.

I currently have a console sized Wagner upright. I purchased this maybe 5 years ago. At that time I had already been playing for quite some years so had a decent ear and knew what sound I wanted. Now as I progress I find it lacks the dynamic range that I now need.

Thus I am seeking a piano that will serve me from intermediate (to advanced hopefully). I was hoping to get a grand piano as I know ultimately they have the best action for dynamic playing etc. I recognize however good uprights can surpass poor grand pianos.

My goal was to get a used grand for 10k Canadian approx (8k USD). 5.5ft minimum maybe up to 6ft. I would trade in my Wagner. I recognize the COVID effect on inventory. I want to buy at a store to get short term finance. Due to poor inventory they pointed me to a new Pearl River GP160 which is a 5'3" grand at 12k Canadian (9.5k USD).

I am seeking warm mellow sound. Think this piano would work? Or am I better waiting for a used grand around same price, maybe get a Yamaha which I am guessing will be higher quality?

Thanks.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Honestly, I would wait a bit to see what else comes up. I’m not knocking Pearl River, but if it was a Ritmuller Premium grand, I’d say go for it. I think you can do better with a little more time and searching. I’m confused, are you in Canada or Ireland?

Lisa

Playing RCM 7-8 repertoire
Cunningham Studio Grand & Yamaha CLP645

"I tell my piano the things I used to tell you." - Frederic Chopin
P
OP Offline
P
Thanks for the reply. Actually now I am in Canada! How would I know if it is Ritmuller version, and what do you even mean by that?

As I said, its been a while since I have been on here, profile updated

Last edited by PoleStar; 04/17/21 03:11 PM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by PoleStar
How would I know if it is Ritmuller version, and what do you even mean by that?

Here......
https://www.pianobuyer.com/brand/pearl-river/

The piano will say "Ritmuller" on the fallboard, and Ritmullers are built using higher quality components than the basic Pearl River grands.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
P
OP Offline
P
Thanks. What are your thoughts though if I want an intermediate to advanced grand to last for at least a few years: new like this or hold out until better inventory and buy used at same price range?

You've stated that you want a piano with greater dynamic range (than your Wagner piano) and a warm mellow sound.

What were your impressions of the GP160 when you played it at the dealer? Did it adequately address your needs? If not, I would encourage you to hold out until better inventory is available and buy used at the same price range.

While the new GP160 will come with a 10 year warranty, at $9.5 USD the price isn't all that exceptional.

When I was growing up our home pianos were mediocre to fair at best. When I got to college and grad school the majority of pianos that were available for me to practice on were mediocre to average. The only decent pianos I played were in my teachers' studios or in recital halls, and those were rarely available for practice.

My point is that it is possible to progress from an intermediate to advanced player regardless of the instruments available for you for practice. Of course, a really good instrument will probably help you develop much faster. smile

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
K
K
I have played that size pearl river once. It was a decent piano, not unlike the sound and the touch of Yamaha of that size such as gc1 or gb1k, meaning I would not classify the one I played as mellow sounding. You should play one to decide for yourself, but in a mean time it would be a good idea to play as many pianos as you could before deciding.

One of the members of our Piano Buddies group has a newish "Cristofori" baby grand piano around 5', (maybe 5'3"?). However, as with many older piano brands/names, it is made in China with a Cristofori decal on the fallboard.

The piano looks nice, and sounds and plays okay, and the owner has it tuned and serviced regularly by a qualified piano tech. But I would not call it mellow sounding, and I know what mellow sounds like.

I'm not saying all Chinese made pianos sound the same, but the ones I've played sound and play similar, which does not mean bad; just similar. I'm sure there are some more mellow sounding ones out there, and the Ritmuler brand may be one of those brands. I don't remember ever playing a Pearl River, but I like the sound of the name itself; I may have played one, and it just don't remember it.

Also, FWIW, I'm in the camp that believes all pianos sound and play slightly different, even among the same brands and sizes.

Also, (part II:-) I'm with Carey, although a newer/nicer/better piano will inspire and encourage you to play more, I'm not so sure the piano alone will take you to a higher level of playing, without the hard work and practice involved in getting there; although a newer/nicer/better piano will likely be more enjoyable as you make your journey toward piano virtuosoism. smile

Wishing you all the best with your piano search! smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
P
OP Offline
P
Thanks for all the opinions, tips and advice!

PS I think I should clarify, I recognize I can advance on the piano I have, however the action on my upright is such that the dynamic range is quite narrow, and I need something that I enjoy more.

I am also open to getting a better upright also, but figure that given my ultimate is to get a grand, why not get one now and switch to the different action now.

E
E
Originally Posted by PoleStar
I recognize I can advance on the piano I have, however the action on my upright is such that the dynamic range is quite narrow, and I need something that I enjoy more.

That has everything to do with regulation, it has nothing to do with an inherent inadequacy of the piano itself. When was the last time your piano action was fully regulated?

Last edited by EinLudov; 04/18/21 12:47 PM.

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
cheap sponge instead of felt?
by chopin_r_us - 05/14/21 05:17 AM
First International Stretto Piano Festival
by Rhonda B - 05/14/21 04:19 AM
Kurzweil SP88X
by Micahjd - 05/14/21 02:24 AM
Steinway Sale this weekend?
by Gombessa - 05/13/21 10:41 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,920
Posts3,093,356
Members101,513
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission