2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
47 members (CyberGene, Calavera, Aiden, Charles Cohen, Animisha, chopin_r_us, brennbaer, Coda9, 12 invisible), 474 guests, and 569 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Torrax Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Hi everyone,

We are in Australia and considering upgrading our upright and am considering either a new Yamaha GC2 or a used C3. Found a Yamaha C3 from the mid 1990s for about $3000 or so cheaper than the new GC2.

Both are from dealers and come with warranty.

Wondering if anyone has any advice on this? Price aside, would you choose a brand new GC2 or a preloved C3?

Thanks.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hello, and welcome to Piano World!

Not an easy decision, as both pianos are very nice pianos. I think the older C3 has an advantage over the new GC2 in size; at 6'1", you will likely get a richer sounding low bass on the C3, but it depends entirely on the individual pianos. Plus, the C series would have been the next step up in quality from the G series Yamahas back in 1990, but I'm no expert.

Honestly, I would think the C3 from 1990 would be much lower in price than $3K from the new GC2, due to the age difference of the pianos. But I suppose the GC2 is not quite the caliber of the C series in quality, and that might be the difference, I'm not sure.

In my view, I don't think the Yamaha C3 from 1990 is "too old", but condition always trumps age, when it comes to pianos, but that is just my opinion.

If there is only $3K difference in price between the two, I'd buy the piano you like the best in terms of tone, touch and appearance. At that price level, $3K is not much.

Good luck!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
j&j Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rickster
Hello, and welcome to Piano World!

Not an easy decision, as both pianos are very nice pianos. I think the older C3 has an advantage over the new GC2 in size; at 6'1", you will likely get a richer sounding low bass on the C3, but it depends entirely on the individual pianos. Plus, the C series would have been the next step up in quality from the G series Yamahas back in 1990, but I'm no expert.

Honestly, I would think the C3 from 1990 would be much lower in price than $3K from the new GC2, due to the age difference of the pianos. But I suppose the GC2 is not quite the caliber of the C series in quality, and that might be the difference, I'm not sure.

In my view, I don't think the Yamaha C3 from 1990 is "too old", but condition always trumps age, when it comes to pianos, but that is just my opinion.

If there is only $3K difference in price between the two, I'd buy the piano you like the best in terms of tone, touch and appearance. At that price level, $3K is not much.

Good luck!

Rick

thumb +1

I have a soft spot for C3s. I have played a GC2 and found it nice for the price. So depending on the condition of the C3 and how I thought each one sounds and plays, I’d pick the one I liked best.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia PX-330
My piano’s voice is beautiful!
[Linked Image]
I agree that both are wonderful instruments. If memory serves me the GC1 & 2 offered the pianist a chance to get some of the "Conservatory" series features at a more affordable price point than the pure C1 or C2 of the same time. Big diffs are in the cabinet, no lock, lid not beveled, soundboard quality and rim materials more like those used in the entry level G series Yamahas of the same period when the GCs were introduced in the mid 2000's. To me the main difference would be the huge overall step-up to a C3, even a 1990 run, would be. Of course the C3 would have to be inspected, and pass muster, by an RPT in no way affiliated with either dealer offering the pianos. With the C3 you'll not consider moving up for a long time, if ever, and there will be no "I could a, I should a, but didn't" buyer's remorse. down the road.

Last edited by KeepItInC; 04/20/21 08:36 PM. Reason: Clarify dealer technicians

Former Retail Piano Sales
K
K
C3 is a very nice piano as long as it’s in a decent condition. I have found it very hard to find a used C3 that isn’t worn out unless it’s quite new since most owners of C3 purchase them to actually play a good amount. However, age alone is not a good indication of a piano’s playability. So, In this case, C3 from 1990 is a good choice only if it’s in a good condition. I would personally look for more options before deciding between the two.

X
X
Hi,

I'm also from Australia, I was in a similar position to yourself about 4 week ago.

I spotted a mid '90s C2 in fantastic condition. I always thought I would only go for a new piano.
I had a technician check out the piano and he came back and said it's had very minimal use and would make a fine purchase.

I went ahead with the purchase and since, I've had my tuner go over it. He agreed with the technician, saying the instrument has barely been played.
In your case, I feel that if a tech says its in very good condition then its a better choice than the GC2.

Good luck.

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Started a new blog where I document my progress. Thoughts?
by BlizzardPiano - 05/13/21 12:36 AM
Choosing from repertoire for a senior recital?
by chopinliszt27 - 05/12/21 10:54 PM
Garritan Piano- Note stops playing glitch?
by chrono cross - 05/12/21 09:00 PM
ISAAC Hammers
by brdwyguy - 05/12/21 08:56 PM
Worth rebuilding?
by Aiden - 05/12/21 08:49 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,900
Posts3,092,980
Members101,496
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission