2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
46 members (Carey, brdwyguy, antune, anotherscott, astrotoy, 13 invisible), 937 guests, and 535 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Harpuia Online Content OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
500 Post Club Member
H
I'm a pianist thinking about having my Steinway B regulated and voiced. I'm anticipating this to be a few visits that taking the full day. I'm just wondering when techs are visiting a house to work on a piano for the full day, do techs bring lunch? Or some clients will cook for them? Or maybe they just left for an hour to have lunch?

During the COVID time I don't feel comfortable to have lunch together with the tech.

Piano: 1982 NY Steinway Model B, Yamaha AvantGrand N3X
VST(preference in order): VSL Synchron Pianos, Vienna Imperial, Garritan CFX, VI Labs Modern U, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
On occasions when i have had a tech working for most of the day I offer sandwiches (and plenty of coffee and biscuits of course).

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Are you and the tech fully vaccinated?

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
A
A
I've only been given lunch twice in 30 years, and would never expect it! I usually bring something myself, or just work on empty (I work faster like that...!). These days I always bring a flask of coffee as we're not supposed to accept drinks here in the UK smile

Started work at the Blüthner piano re-building workshop in Perivale, UK, in 1989. Self employed since 2000. Learning something new about pianos every day... smile

http://www.hamiltonpianos.com/
H
Harpuia Online Content OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
500 Post Club Member
H
No I haven’t been vaccinated. Vaccine appointment is hard right now in the Bay Area. I should ask if the the tech has been vaccinated.

Piano: 1982 NY Steinway Model B, Yamaha AvantGrand N3X
VST(preference in order): VSL Synchron Pianos, Vienna Imperial, Garritan CFX, VI Labs Modern U, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
If I'm going to be in a person's home all day, I'll bring my lunch, and many times I'll just take a break and eat that lunch in my car. Once in a while, a customer will offer lunch, and sometimes that comes up in the conversation as we're setting up the appointment. If you feel like you want to offer lunch, but aren't comfortable sitting down and eating together, don't hesitate to bring that up ahead of time, too. I never expect to be fed, but it is a nice surprise when it is offered.

Eric Gloo
Piano Technician
Certified Dampp-Chaser Installer
Richfield Springs, New York
E
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
E
Most humans would refuse to eat my cooking.

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Sometimes I bring something, sometimes I go to an eatery for lunch, sometimes I go without, and a few times I get fed.

Semipro Tech
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
I was tradesman many years ago and one of things we really appreciated the most when the homeowner would ask us what we wanted for lunch and order us something like a pizza or at the end of the job or week they would give us some nice beer. It does mean a lot doesn't cost much. If I have someone in my home for a project I always offer something. In my opinion we would love it but to be candid we would not want to sit with the owner and eat with them laugh I know each case is different though.

Last edited by Sebs; 04/17/21 04:05 PM.
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
If I am planning a full day there (or much if it) i usually bring something. Some clients offer coffee and goodies (and occasionally lunch...if theirs is better than what I brought i won't mention the fact that I have food in the car). I have no problem eating with them if they offer. Usually good conversation ensues.

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Harpuia
I'm a pianist thinking about having my Steinway B regulated and voiced. I'm anticipating this to be a few visits that taking the full day. I'm just wondering when techs are visiting a house to work on a piano for the full day, do techs bring lunch? .

I don't provide lunch for craftsmen of any kind, because professionals plan ahead and they will have an established routine. I've had a good bit of work done this year by roofers, HVAC mechanics, and shower rebuilders, and all of them either disappeared around lunch time or had a bag lunch in their truck. Occasionally I have a master teacher do lessons in my house for myself and a small group, and I have a subway sandwich waiting for him.

But we're dancing around the real issue. If you're there 8 hours, and of even close to normal metabolism, you will need the bathroom in that time.

gotta go practice
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by TimR
I don't provide lunch for craftsmen of any kind, because professionals plan ahead and they will have an established routine. I've had a good bit of work done this year by roofers, HVAC mechanics, and shower rebuilders, and all of them either disappeared around lunch time or had a bag lunch in their truck.

I agree with you completely - with two important exceptions. My car mechanic of 35 years - and piano technicians - get everything that hospitality can provide. If they would like it.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Juggling Piano!
by Sam S - 06/14/21 07:25 PM
Please help: Kawai ST-1 (institutional) or K-300?
by SantaCecilia - 06/14/21 07:11 PM
Kawai VPC1 velocity curve
by luigigiul76 - 06/14/21 06:17 PM
Quality of the piano dealership shop
by lct14558 - 06/14/21 05:58 PM
Studio piano vsts? eg Ivory, Alicia's Keys
by MarkOfJohnson - 06/14/21 05:30 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,515
Posts3,103,681
Members101,810
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission