2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Week Deals
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
78 members (An Old Square, Ajax69, brdwyguy, c++, 36251, AaronSF, AlphaBravoCharlie, 20 invisible), 1,445 guests, and 499 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3106640 04/15/21 05:07 PM
R
OP Offline
R
In the past I never seriously looked at or considered the MP7SE. At 48 pounds it was too heavy, and with no speakers it just wasn't for me.

Once I bought an ES110 and ES920, I begin looking for the first time at the MP7SE. Kawai as a piano-centric board that was often overlooked by me but is now solidly on my radar.

I always want speakers: instant setup / I love the stereo sound / can always be augmented, good starting point / takes up MUCH less room to have a keyboard in a small room / loud enough for small jams, cocktail hour, parties / zero setup hassle, etc.

So..... are there others out there like me that would LOVE to have a mash up of the ES920 and the MP7SE? Or at least the option to have speakers on one version of the MP7SE. Korg does this with the SV2, it's a $200 premium.

From a Sweetwater review about the SV2-SP
"Speakers -Wow, totally not expecting such quality. You could easily play and entertain a small group of people with no additional amp and be satisfied. Nice bass response once you crank up the bass using the eq. Not tinny sounding like the old speakered boards used to be. Don't know how well it would work in a large hall. Still, not the same as having a nice pair of monitor speakers and a sub, but then those will weigh far more than 2.5 lbs extra"

There's always practical concerns, like the MP7SE case was not designed for speakers, so possibly costly for Kawai to add them. But then again, it's been nearly 5 years since the MP7SE was released, so with a new MP8, Kawai could offer one with and one without speakers.

The bigger question than practicalities, is there a market for it? In many ways the MP7SE is a budget RD2000. At $900 less, it's an attractive alternative for those of us that want a piano-centric Kawai.

If the new MP8 was offered as both with speakers or not, with a $100-$200 premium, would you buy the one with speakers? Would this trigger a buy response from you like it does for me?

Randy
Kawai ES110/ES920, Casio CT-X5000
Flute / Alto recorder / Melodica / iPad music apps
F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
But if you'd add speakers to the MP7SE, it would become even bigger and heavier.

You could use a stand that has the option to attach accessoiries, such as speaker stands, and use two small monitors with short cables to the MP7SE. You would need three power cables though (or a set of speakers that connects one speaker to the next like computer speakers: then you'd need only two).

Kawai Novus NV-10 | Pianoteq 7 (Kremsegg 1 & 2, Ruckers, Karsten, KIVIR)
Intel NUC i3-6100U, 8GB, SSD | iPad Pro 12.9 2018 | forScore
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Randyman
so with a new MP8
[Linked Image]
smile

S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
I don't think there is much demand for a stage piano/keyboard with builtin speakers.

A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
In the past I never seriously looked at or considered the MP7SE. At 48 pounds it was too heavy, and with no speakers it just wasn't for me.

Once I bought an ES110 and ES920, I begin looking for the first time at the MP7SE. Kawai as a piano-centric board that was often overlooked by me but is now solidly on my radar.

I always want speakers: instant setup / I love the stereo sound / can always be augmented, good starting point / takes up MUCH less room to have a keyboard in a small room / loud enough for small jams, cocktail hour, parties / zero setup hassle, etc.

So..... are there others out there like me that would LOVE to have a mash up of the ES920 and the MP7SE? Or at least the option to have speakers on one version of the MP7SE. Korg does this with the SV2, it's a $200 premium.

From a Sweetwater review about the SV2-SP
"Speakers -Wow, totally not expecting such quality. You could easily play and entertain a small group of people with no additional amp and be satisfied. Nice bass response once you crank up the bass using the eq. Not tinny sounding like the old speakered boards used to be. Don't know how well it would work in a large hall. Still, not the same as having a nice pair of monitor speakers and a sub, but then those will weigh far more than 2.5 lbs extra"

There's always practical concerns, like the MP7SE case was not designed for speakers, so possibly costly for Kawai to add them. But then again, it's been nearly 5 years since the MP7SE was released, so with a new MP8, Kawai could offer one with and one without speakers.

The bigger question than practicalities, is there a market for it? In many ways the MP7SE is a budget RD2000. At $900 less, it's an attractive alternative for those of us that want a piano-centric Kawai.

If the new MP8 was offered as both with speakers or not, with a $100-$200 premium, would you buy the one with speakers? Would this trigger a buy response from you like it does for me?

No one wants internal speakers. I've read several places that SV2 speakers don't sound good for playing the piano. Korg can't defy the laws of physics. No one can. Even Yamaha can't do it. MP7SE is a Stage Pinao.

Never trust Sweetwater's reviews. A keyboard seller never tells you how bad product X is.

Kawai MP7SE, Yamaha MOTF XF6, Yamaha WX5, Yamaha Pacifica 112v
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by 9190
so with a new MP8
[Linked Image]
smile

I love how it says: Professional Stage Piano.

I'm highlighting the "Professional" because it truly is professional.

So the next version is MP8CE: MP8 Covid Edition

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Or, given the recent love of manufacturers to add the letter X to the existing name, it can be MP7SEX. And in a few more years, according to the alphabet, another letter, Y, will be added to the letter X.

R
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by Falsch
But if you'd add speakers to the MP7SE, it would become even bigger and heavier.

Yes, they'd have to plasticize the MP8 like they did the es920. Esp for live gigging, I imagine many people would put up with the extra 10 pounds for more ruggedness, which is ironic, cause it's mostly the gigging guys who have to move a board all the time.

Yes, unless they have other ways of cutting down the weight, adding speakers would make that board close to 50 pounds! Personally I have a lot of confidence in plastic boards for gigging, and would buy a plastic enclosed MP8 if it had speakers.

LOL, the 2005 MP8 weighed 70 pounds and cost $3,000, which in today's dollars would probably be closer to $3.5-4K? So in making the MP7SE, it looks like they mostly borrowed from this former flagship stage piano and cut the weight way down. It had a cool flat top!

Randy
R
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by Falsch
You could use a stand that has the option to attach accessories, such as speaker stands, and use two small monitors with short cables to the MP7SE. You would need three power cables though (or a set of speakers that connects one speaker to the next like computer speakers: then you'd need only two).

Hmmmm.... any particular speaker stands you've got experience with?
I've got the On-Stage KS7365-ej Folding-Z Keyboard Stand with 2nd Tier
I tried attachable speaker stands with it and the weight limit was about 10 pounds and they weren't very sturdy, didn't feel like a long term solution.

Randy
R
OP Offline
R
so with a new MP8
[Linked Image]
smile
Gotta love the retro design!

Randy
R
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by Abdol
No one wants internal speakers. I've read several places that SV2 speakers don't sound good for playing the piano. Korg can't defy the laws of physics. No one can. Even Yamaha can't do it. MP7SE is a Stage Pinao.

Never trust Sweetwater's reviews. A keyboard seller never tells you how bad product X is.
Hmmm.... Noone? I just said I was interested. And I've heard plenty of other people wanting the same.

Randy
F
F
I bought a stage piano because it had very good speakers.
I didn’t like the key action, but the built in speakers and various sound…

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
so with a new MP8
[Linked Image]
smile

Perhaps, if we consider just the design, without thinking about other practical aspects, then it is normal. But on some practical aspects, I am categorically against such a design, and completely for the design that is now in MP11SE. I'm glad that Kawai has moved away from such a design to a more pianistic¹ design, as well as more practical in terms of ease of placement on the instrument body of other devices.

¹ That imitation of a fallboard behind the keys (see the picture below) is very important to me as a pianist (not a keyboard player). I have written about this more than once before. I hope that this feature of the design will continue in subsequent successors.

[Linked Image]

R
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by FennerMachine

What stage piano did you buy? Do you gig, or are you like me, wanting the simplified and direct user interface that you won't get with a workstation-?

Randy
R
OP Offline
R
so with a new MP8
[Linked Image]
smile

Perhaps, if we consider just the design, without thinking about other practical aspects, then it is normal. But on some practical aspects, I am categorically against such a design, and completely for the design that is now in MP11SE. I'm glad that Kawai has moved away from such a design to a more pianistic¹ design, as well as more practical in terms of ease of placement on the instrument body of other devices.

¹ That imitation of a fallboard behind the keys (see the picture below) is very important to me as a pianist (not a keyboard player). I have written about this more than once before. I hope that this feature of the design will continue in subsequent successors.

[Linked Image]

In applauding the retro design, I was merely echoing the enthusiastic approval of others, what I've heard often of stage keyboards that have a large flat top that you can easily place another keyboard on top of.

Haven't read your posting on placement of the fallboard, am curious now.

Randy
R
OP Offline
R
so with a new MP8
[Linked Image]
smile

I wonder about that, esp the Stage Piano part. It seems to have many requirements of a stage piano, but at 70 pounds, not too many gigging musicians would buy it, esp with the options available 15+ years later. Give me a MP7SE+SP with speakers that weighs around 40 pounds, that's what we're talkin' about, esp if they manage that with a steel casing. Nord Stage 88 manages that (though no speakers).

Randy
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
so with a new MP8
[Linked Image]
smile

I wonder about that, esp the Stage Piano part. It seems to have many requirements of a stage piano, but at 70 pounds, not too many gigging musicians would buy it, esp with the options available 15+ years later. Give me a MP7SE+SP with speakers that weighs around 40 pounds, that's what we're talkin' about, esp if they manage that with a steel casing. Nord Stage 88 manages that (though no speakers).

Not sure what instrument you're talking about but MP7SE is not a heavy instrument (though it's not light either). It's 22.5 kilograms which is 49.7lbs. I don't mind the extra 10lbs for the built quality and metal construction.

A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Or, given the recent love of manufacturers to add the letter X to the existing name, it can be MP7SEX. And in a few more years, according to the alphabet, another letter, Y, will be added to the letter X.

LOL true true!

F
F
Originally Posted by FennerMachine

What stage piano did you buy? Do you gig, or are you like me, wanting the simplified and direct user interface that you won't get with a workstation-?
Bluthner Pro 88.
I don’t gig (I’m a beginner), but have played at practice events, bring an instrument and have some fun type things with friends.
I too like simplicity. For a small venue, like a village hall, the Bluthner Pro 88 is just about loud enough using its internal speakers.
It has a Fatar action, so not as good as the usual recommended brands.
It has few built in sounds but they are all good (IMO), perhaps better than equivalents from other makes (again IMO).
I have thought of changing it for something else, but similar good portable pianos with built in speakers have issues too, either key action or sound not being to my liking.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Haven't read your posting on placement of the fallboard, am curious now.

Here is one such post that contains cross-links to my other posts on the subject.

And I will separately mention my posts on this topic, where I expressed disappointment about this design element in CA79 and ES920.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How are digital piano actions weighted?
by KeyboardAficionado - 12/05/21 01:30 PM
Play Piano Today Series
by writebynight - 12/05/21 12:59 PM
How can I remove the sostenuto bar in a grand piano?
by EdwardPiano - 12/05/21 09:29 AM
Sanding hammers - weird question
by Del Vento - 12/05/21 09:19 AM
Jonah
by tre corda - 12/05/21 09:17 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,402
Posts3,150,829
Members103,528
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission