2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
50 members (20/20 Vision, Beansparrow, accordeur, 36251, andrewlapp, Abdol, anotherscott, 13 invisible), 519 guests, and 590 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
OP Offline
C
Hey all! I'm the proud owner of a beautiful Yamaha U1 Upright piano. It's in great shape. It was made in the 80's and is starting to develop a bright tinny sound in some areas. I'm going to have a piano technician do some voicing to help bring out the warm rounded tone.

Now the concern.

I also love playing and recording music with the practice pedal engaged (adding a layer of felt between the hammers and strings). It gives a nice soft rounded tone that's great for certain styles. If I have a technician perform voicing on the hammers, do you think this would affect the tone when the practice pedal is engaged? Or would it be a subtle difference since the hammers are already hitting felt instead of string?

I'm curious because I do like the tone with the pedal engaged. Just when it's not, the piano has the brighter tone that I'd like treated.

Am I trying to have my cake and eat it too?

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Personally the thing I disliked the most with my old Yamaha was that felt curtain. It is so thick it makes the piano unplayable, unless you overcompensate and really bang away at it, and gives such a soft and muffled tone it is almost non-piano like. I did think of changing the material to something thinner and more compliant but never got round to it.

But to answer the question I think that voicing the hammers should soften the tone, even the sound played through the felt layer should be softened a bit as well but probably not by much. The tone when your piano is used with the practice rail is so soft and so unlike that of the natural Yamaha you would not get anywhere near it with normal voicing. If that incredibly soft and muted sound is what you are searching for you might look at a different piano at the opposite end of the tonal spectrum to Yamahas, voicing can only do so much.

C
OP Offline
C
Makes sense. I have also considered swapping the felt for a bit thinner material. I'm not expecting the voicing to give it that muted felt sound. I'm just trying to get a nice tone when the mute rail is not engaged and when it is. Two separate tones/styles. Perhaps if it's too soft with the mute when the voicing is done, I'll try a thinner material.

T
T
As I mentioned in another post that’s the first thing I took off —that mute rail—uggh like drinking decaffeinated coffee..try some foam behind piano if you must and of course voicing is nice..
side note though -when recording the Yamaha U 1 -I like piano wide open w my mikes in front of hammers—did many many comparisons on that—
I have never heard of the mute rail having any advantages for doing anything except to be quiet .
Be curious about thinner materials sound.
Mine is an 88 U 1 E

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Do steinways have smaller key depth?
by NightShade - 05/11/21 08:11 PM
another mansion piano
by rogerzell - 05/11/21 06:47 PM
Portrait of Manet
by Dfrankjazz - 05/11/21 06:00 PM
Are any of the following songs good for beginners?
by Dutch-guy - 05/11/21 05:47 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,871
Posts3,092,443
Members101,481
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission