2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
28 members (clothearednincompo, crab89, Georg Z., David B, Fried Chicken, AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, 8 invisible), 1,180 guests, and 290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Gombessa
Does Pianoteq or Roland actually model the whoosh?

If you watch that video, between 6:00 and 7:00 the guy demonstrates how the Roland produces the sound of all strings vibrating, when the damper is pressed. No keys struck, just press the pedal, and you can hear the sounds of the strings as they are released by the damper. I won't call it a "whoosh" it's like a tone...

I was pretty (and pleasantly) surprised a pure modeling system like the Roland has modeled this behavior.

A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G. K. Chesterton
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
pedal noise (whoosh or clunk) but it's typically just a "throwaway sample" like key-off/hammer noise. The half-pedal capable DPs will usually modulate the noise so that it's quieter or silent with smooth, slow pedal presses, and louder with sudden presses and releases, which better simulates an acoustic.

I'm separating my response into a different post. Because I believe there are two things we are talking about modeling/reproducing:

- the sound of all the strings vibrating (a tone like sound) when the strings are released by dampler
- the pedal noise (the whoosh and thud)

The Roland models both.

I am curious to know how well DPs, VSTs and hybrids do both...

It sounds (pun unintended) like the NV-10 does this quite beautifully. I found the pedal noise (from owning a CA79 previously) to be too clean, I mean very very clean - that it didn't sound natural.

Last edited by mmathew; 04/15/21 11:50 AM.

A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G. K. Chesterton
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by mmathew
Does Pianoteq or Roland actually model the whoosh?

If you watch that video, between 6:00 and 7:00 the guy demonstrates how the Roland produces the sound of all strings vibrating, when the damper is pressed. No keys struck, just press the pedal, and you can hear the sounds of the strings as they are released by the damper. I won't call it a "whoosh" it's like a tone...

I was pretty (and pleasantly) surprised a pure modeling system like the Roland has modeled this behavior.

I've watched the video but it's hard to tell how the effect is being generated or how "real-time" it is. I've played a lot of their older partly-sampled SN DPs and they have a similar "woosh" effect when the damper is pressed quickly; in those pianos I think the woosh was just a sample.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I've watched the video but it's hard to tell how the effect is being generated or how "real-time" it is. I've played a lot of their older partly-sampled SN DPs and they have a similar "woosh" effect when the damper is pressed quickly; in those pianos I think the woosh was just a sample.

I'd love to hear from some RD-2000 owners the answer to this.

From the video, it sounded real-time. As soon as he pressed the pedal, the tone of strings vibrating was heard. The pedal noise (whoosh/thud) couldn't be heard, but I suspect we would if we were in the room/connected via headphones.

G. K. Chesterton
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
The "woosh" and the "loom of strings" string-vibrating effect are oftentimes synonymous, it depends on how aggressively the pedal is released and how much of the effect the DP makers want to incorporate.

I think a good way to tell is whether the effect is different for the various pianos offered by the RD-2000's V-Piano engine. If so, it suggests the DP is actually using the note sounds from its unlimited polyphony engine to generate the pedal effect; more commonly, there would just be a single, recorded effect that's used across all the pianos (but I'm not sure about that).

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
peterws Offline OP
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Does Pianoteq or Roland actually model the whoosh? Most DPs nowadays have some kind of pedal noise (whoosh or clunk) but it's typically just a "throwaway sample" like key-off/hammer noise. The half-pedal capable DPs will usually modulate the noise so that it's quieter or silent with smooth, slow pedal presses, and louder with sudden presses and releases, which better simulates an acoustic.

I've heard pianists are trained to adjust their pedaling technique to minimize these noises, particularly for concerts/recordings.

The Pianoteq woosh is different for every instrument. I fondly think it's individually wooshed including the different clunk you also get. I think it's in stereo but might not be. It gives a wonderful vintage feel; unfortunately the smell of the inside of the cabinet is not apparent.
It should be! Pianoteq need to model smells.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
..and we’re back to the ‘woosh’; for a minute I thought we had previously discussed everything ‘bout the woosh, but no, it seems like we weren’t done with the woosh.

But by all means don’t mind me and mi trivial observations; go on talkin’ ‘bout the woosh.

I
I
Elaborating on the woosh, when I play uprights if you forcefully hit the pedal and release you get a loud thud accompanying the woosh. Did the kawai not reproduce this at all? The virtual technician let's you adjust the amount of that effect
Did that make any difference?

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by InspiredByKawai
Elaborating on the woosh, when I play uprights if you forcefully hit the pedal and release you get a loud thud accompanying the woosh. Did the kawai not reproduce this at all? The virtual technician let's you adjust the amount of that effect
Did that make any difference?
Now that you’ve brought back the ‘thud’, would it be rude for me to ask about the ‘clickety-clack’?

I’ve noticed the clickety-clack when I play my P-515 with the power OFF; for some reason the clickety-clack is not noticeable with the power ON.

Anyone else ever experience the clickety-clack?

C
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
C
What about the pedal squeak?

(I don't need it. I can live without it. I have "woosh" for down and "thud" for up.)

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pete14
..and we’re back to the ‘woosh’; for a minute I thought we had previously discussed everything ‘bout the woosh, but no, it seems like we weren’t done with the woosh.

But by all means don’t mind me and mi trivial observations; go on talkin’ ‘bout the woosh.

Well, you're probably right. I thought (misunderstood) peterws' original post as to asking only if the damper press made the keys lighter to play. He did reference a whoosh. Then when I chanced upon the RD-2000 video I wanted to post it, and specifically turn attention to the "loom of the strings" (thanks Gombessa, I like this better than "whoooosh")

G. K. Chesterton
I wish they would pay more attention to making the proper string sounds, and less toward the whoosh and thud noises.

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
But then we wouldn't be able to debate the relative merits of samples vs. modeled whooshes and thuds! laugh

Enthusiastic but mediocre amateur.
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
On the matter of the woosh, the thud, the squeak, and the clickety-clack:

May I remind you that we are going through a server drought and, therefore, we should be more judicious about what warrants using-up more server space.

So I propose we refrain from certain topics unless it is decided upon the collective that such topics are of significant importance, urgency, and/or relevance.

If you do not act voluntarily, I shall be forced to ration our limited resources by decree.

Please, I beg you, act responsibly and think about your fellow member, but if you don’t, I shall bring down the hammer bestowed upon me and be done with the woosh, the thud, the squeak, and the clickety-clack!

P.S.

Don’t even get me started on pivots and such.......!

I
I
I always assumed audible wooshes and thuds were indicative of a lower quality upright

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Please, I beg you, act responsibly and think about your fellow member, but if you don’t, I shall bring down the hammer bestowed upon me and be done with the woosh, the thud, the squeak, and the clickety-clack!

Yes, but what kind of SOUND will the hammer make? More like a whoosh? Or a thud?

Enthusiastic but mediocre amateur.
peterws Offline OP
OP Offline

Nice to see someone writing decent English. but keep the 'ammer to yerself. You're not called 'Enry; you have no right to his trademark!

Last edited by peterws; 04/16/21 12:02 PM.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
blush

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission