2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
31 members (chopin_r_us, brennbaer, CyberGene, Joseph Fleetwood, Frédéric L, EVC2017, drumour, 10 invisible), 353 guests, and 589 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
OP Offline
O
Not budget. But not Rolls Royce of headphones in cost either.

Just overall GOOD quality, good sound.

Yamaha P-515
In the market for an acoustic grand.
Isn't this a bit like asking someone else to pick a model of car for you? ;-/

But if it helps I love my Sony WH-CH700N but maybe a $100 headphone is a bit too much Ford/Fiat/Chevvy for many people ?

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Search the forum for the many many many many threads on this same subject ... where every pair headphones on the market gets a recommendation.

(You really have to try 'em for yourself and make a decision.)

C
C
Headphone design is an underdeveloped area. I recent years, loudpeaker design has developed tremendeously with active designs, DSP technology etc. Headphones have not caught up yet and to solve the main issues, many pro's use frequency response correction, either in SW or as external DSP to improve fidelity and sound quality.

For uncorrected open headphones maybe Sennheiser HD569/HC599/HD600/HD650. All are good, I would pick the HD600. Selecting closed earphones is even trickier, maybe AKG K371. Good sound but not the best build quality.

Most writing on audio in general and headphones in particular on the web is unreliable, unscientific and hugely biased. Good, reliable resources are e.g:
https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/
https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/9o2f5n/psa_oratory1990s_list_of_eq_presets/
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?reviews/

C. Bechstein M178 (1928) / Kawai ES920 (2021)
C
C
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
Search the forum for the many many many many threads on this same subject ... where every pair headphones on the market gets a recommendation.

There is some science in the area - e.g. the research of Sean Olive et al, establishing how to characterise a "good" headphone. Also, there are measurements of most headphones on the market using these criteria. Unfortunately, most audio amateurs dont know/care about the science in the audio field.

Consumer audio, high-end in particular is a terrible snake oil business.

(You really have to try 'em for yourself and make a decision.)

I thin there are no threads for "damn good headphone", only "good" ones.

Joking aside, yes please read the threads. I personally will urge OP to decide on the overall parameters of the headphone design that you think will work for you, and then read these forums to decide.

- Open vs. closed
- Generally agreed impedance suitable for piano
- With or without headphone amps

A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G. K. Chesterton
F
F
For piano, the Huh Duh 600 (if you happen to watch that channel on YouTube), meaning the Sennheiser HD 600: https://de-at.sennheiser.com/beste-audio-kopfhoerer-high-end-stereo-hifi-hd-600

Street price around 350€, very clean and neutral. They are open backs, so they have a nice, wide soundstage and they don't get so warm on your head. Of course very little sound isolation.

If you want to spend less, around 150€:
- Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro
- Sennheiser HD 599

In any case, unless you need high sound isolation, open backs are the way to go for piano.

(Oh btw., since we are on the topic. Here is the mentioned Rolls Royce, the Sennheiser HE-1: https://de-at.sennheiser.com/sennheiser-he-1 for as little as 60k you get the best there is...)

This is a surprise ...
Originally Posted by FloRi89
Here is the mentioned Rolls Royce, the Sennheiser HE-1: https://de-at.sennheiser.com/sennheiser-he-1 for as little as 60k you get the best there is...)
I looked at that page and it reads like that of an audio snake oil salesman. Sennheiser has sunk that low! It's a shame.

F
F
This is a surprise ...
Here is the mentioned Rolls Royce, the Sennheiser HE-1: https://de-at.sennheiser.com/sennheiser-he-1 for as little as 60k you get the best there is...)
I looked at that page and it reads like that of an audio snake oil salesman. Sennheiser has sunk that low! It's a shame.

The few people that I saw that have tested those say they are extremely good wink. I guess we will never know, because personally I'll never shell out the money for that.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Sennheiser HD598.

I've been using a set for many years for playing my AvantGrand N3. I like them.

Yamaha AvantGrand N3 | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
C
C
This is a surprise ...

Agree completely! I guess the engineers at Sennheiser are embarrassed...

Tyr Online Content
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by onaiplatigid
Not budget. But not Rolls Royce of headphones in cost either.

Just overall GOOD quality, good sound.

AKG K712 Pro

Kawai: NV-5 | VPC-1
Pianoteq 7 Pro | Garritan CFX Full | Vienna Imperial | VI Labs: Ravenscroft 275 - Modern U - Keysuite Grand | Minigrand
_
_
Originally Posted by ColonelBogey
Agree completely! I guess the engineers at Sennheiser are embarrassed...

I'm afraid I read Sennheiser is sinking because these days quality over-ear headphones are significantly worse business than beats and earpods and noise-cancelling stuff. Seems better stock up for life before evolution totally does away with wires, without taking care of the latency. The engineers over there have no time to be embarrased while being pressed to come up with revolutionary new products with better profit margins.

(Oh btw., since we are on the topic. Here is the mentioned Rolls Royce, the Sennheiser HE-1: https://de-at.sennheiser.com/sennheiser-he-1 for as little as 60k you get the best there is...)

I tried to place an order. It looks like they're expecting a call first. They probably want you to visit their factory so they can measure your head, ear, eardrum and brain capacity. They will also schedule the required surgeries if your body parameters are not suitable for this Bentley of a headphone. Truly personalized.

A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G. K. Chesterton
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
?rebmun doog nmad yllaer a ekil naem I ?nodnaba dna trats ot sdaerht fo rebmun doog a eb dluow tahW

Ralph

Kawai VPC1
Garritan CFX
Pianist since April, 2015
O
O
I have some Denon ah D 600's that sound great. Big 50mm drivers, they sound huge for my Grand Piano VSTs.

F
F
Audio-Technica ATH-R70x

O
OP Offline
O
This is just a copy and paste of the above. But I am reviewing all these brands now.

Sony WH-CH700N

For uncorrected open headphones maybe Sennheiser HD569/HC599/HD600/HD650. All are good, I would pick the HD600. Selecting closed earphones is even trickier, maybe AKG K371. Good sound but not the best build quality.

https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/
https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/9o2f5n/psa_oratory1990s_list_of_eq_presets/
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?reviews/

Sennheiser HD 600: https://de-at.sennheiser.com/beste-audio-kopfhoerer-high-end-stereo-hifi-hd-600

If you want to spend less, around 150€:
- Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro
- Sennheiser HD 599

Sennheiser HD598.

AKG K712 Pro

Denon ah D 600's that sound great. Big 50mm drivers, they sound huge for my Grand Piano VSTs.

Audio-Technica ATH-R70x

Yamaha P-515
@ona: How many of these headphones are you reviewing?
You said "all" of them. Did you really mean that?

Regardless ... give us your impressions of them.

O
OP Offline
O
Yes, I will review each one.

The last time (a few months ago) I made a similar thread, I asked for something that "doesn't break the bank". That thread had a lot of recommendations and I studied each one. That thread led to me buying the Sennheiser HD 280 PRO. It's very very good. The only problem is that it gets your ears very hot in a few minutes. So I made this new thread.

This time, I don't care about the price. (Well, not 60k) And this time, I will buy 2 headsets.

What I'm going to do is copy and paste each of those brand/model on Google plus site:pianoworld.com to read what people are saying about each one. Then, I will have a final 5 options or so and do Youtube/Google/Amazon reading/watching.

I'm going to disappear a bit and when I come back, I'll have feedback on my selection.

Last edited by onaiplatigid; 04/22/21 07:08 AM.

Yamaha P-515
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Painted ebony keys problem
by grand_BB_71 - 05/07/21 12:42 AM
Hide under piano during earthquake
by twocats - 05/07/21 12:18 AM
1998 Steinway 1098 plate - "P" vs "45"
by pwl - 05/06/21 11:19 PM
Returning/exchanging a new piano
by Fortissima - 05/06/21 10:47 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,761
Posts3,090,615
Members101,437
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission