2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
62 members (Animisha, BachToTheFuture, AlphaTerminus, brennbaer, c++, 36251, 13 invisible), 519 guests, and 572 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sam S Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Here is your 30 day warning for recital #62. Actually, 15 days until the recital opens for submissions, and 30 days to the deadline.

The Quarterly Recitals are held 4 times a year (duh!) in the Adult Beginners Forum at PianoWorld. Any music, any level, as long as it is piano or keyboard related. The only rule is that only one submission per performer is allowed.

The recital will open for submissions May 1st at about 6AM US Eastern time. You then have 2 weeks to get your performance submitted. It closes for submissions at about 6AM US Eastern time on May 15th, and then goes "live" so that we can listen.

All of the submissions take place at recitals.pianoworld.com

The only thing that you must have to participate is a recording of your performance in mp3 format. Need advice? Ask here.

Videos are optional, but very popular - you will need to host your video somewhere else (like youtube or vimeo) and share the link when you submit your performance.

Please join us for ABF Quarterly Recital #62!

Sam

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
B
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
B
Already? ... I better find something to play ...

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]
My piece isn't ready, but count me in anyway!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
For once I actually have a piece that is ready but I don't know yet whether I want to publish it.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
This is crazy. Feels way too fast. I should be ready since I missed the last one. Which was sad because I had music ready but I was too burned out to make a recording.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Qazsedcft
For once I actually have a piece that is ready but I don't know yet whether I want to publish it.

Yes. Please publish it smile

Sam S Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
If I waited until I was ready or perfect I would never submit anything. I spent some time the other day counting recitals - this will be my 48th quarterly recital. I'll have to do something special when I get to 50...

Sam

Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
Oh my. Several times today I was looking for details on the theme for the next recital. Where is it, what are the details, what should I play?

It just hit me now, the quarterly recitals don't have a theme! And now I'm thinking, oh so what should I play! I obviously knew this from before but somehow it slipped my mind today. I think it was the excitement of the themed recital going live today. Lol!

Sam S Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Quarterly Recitals - no theme, play whatever you want, but only one submission per performer.
Themed recitals - announced in the themed recitals sub-forum. They have a theme but no other rules.
Quarterly Recitals - 4 times a year in Feb, May, Aug, Nov.
Themed Recitals - usually the month before the Quarterly Recital.

So the schedule for the rest of this year:
May - Quarterly #62
July - Great American Songbook Themed Recital
Aug - Quarterly #63
October - Beginner Pieces Themed Recital
November - Quarterly #64

Mark your calendar and start practicing now!
Sam

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
I have absolutely nothing prepared! What am I to do?

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Just got two done today. Both are originals and one is my first attempt at a Gnossene. Satie is probably rolling over in his grave but ,hey, I like it!

L
L
Is there a thread where you pledge to play a particular piece similar to the themed recitals or do you just submit a piece when the time comes?

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by lilypad
Is there a thread where you pledge to play a particular piece similar to the themed recitals or do you just submit a piece when the time comes?

This is as close to that thread as you will find.

If you want to submit a piece similar to a themed recital (like your afro-cuban transcription thingy--quite excellent imo), the quarterly recital is perfect. The important part is the pledge and the love of making the best music any of us could make, and sharing it and demanding a bit from ourselves because we respect each other's attention and time.

Only in men's imagination does every truth find an effective and undeniable existence. Imagination, not invention, is the supreme master of art as of life. -Józef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski
Sam S Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
No need to pledge anything for the Quarterlies. But you can certainly tell everyone your plans if you want to. I have a recording that I made for my local piano group of Grieg's op12/1 - probably the easiest of the lyric pieces - that I may use for this quarterly. Or I have a backup transcription that I didn't get ready in time for the transcriptions recital that I am hoping to get ready soon.

Sam

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sam S
[...]I have a recording that I made for my local piano group of Grieg's op12/1 - probably the easiest of the lyric pieces - that I may use for this quarterly.
Yes, do submit that one, I would love to hear you play the Arietta. And, no, IMO it is not easy at all (I have recorded it as well and found it quite hard to bring out the melody properly). I think 12/3, 12/5 and 12/8 are much easier.
I think I am quite lucky to have a lot of recordings on my laptop ready for submission. Maybe I will submit my interpretation of Consolation #3 by Liszt.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I've recovered from spinal surgery really well, but don't know if I should do the steady strain of "one" position yet, as with practicing piano. My piece would be "I've grown accustomed to her face" from "My Fair Lady" and only if I shorten the piece.
I just recently re-watched the movie "My Fair Lady" on Netflix, the first time over 40 years ago in high school.
A really good watch, but thought ....if the movie-stage play would have been made as " original" now?
It would offend some men, some women, and a-lot of some people. I use the term "some", because labeling dialect and social class is offensive now-days or.... or at the least not politically correct. And I 'm not always "above" that myself, whether in commission or as receiver.
"Educating Rita" is the modern version of "My Fair Lady" without the music twist.
Anyway I think I may be "in" if it's possible. If not, next time.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
I have some way to go, but feel fairly comfortable that I have enough time to get there. I hereby resolve NOT to say anything in my submission note about the tempo being too slow etc smile smile smile

[Linked Image]
Online Content
I created a channel on YouTube.
I named it "The Worst Pianist."

My submission may even get rejected, if not, you've been warned.

Love you All and God bless!

---
Adult Beginner
After trying to play Chopin, I ate humble pie, and I am on Song one of Keith Snell's GP600 (Baroque and Classical Prep)

A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G. K. Chesterton
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by mmathew
I created a channel on YouTube.
I named it "The Worst Pianist."

My submission may even get rejected, if not, you've been warned.

Love you All and God bless!

---
Adult Beginner
After trying to play Chopin, I ate humble pie, and I am on Song one of Keith Snell's GP600 (Baroque and Classical Prep)

I did "Erotlk" by Grieg. It was initially rejected as unsuitable for the under 18s . . . . . . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
L
L
Sam S. and Hawgdriver - a belated thank you for answering my question on the 'pledge' business. I'm in the process of resurrecting a 'thingy' that sounds sort of classical from an ABRSM level 2 jazz book. I played it up until a couple of months ago, but dropped it because I was having trouble keeping too many pieces alive.

mmathew - I also suffered from working on pieces that were too difficult for me. Faber 4 is about my current comfort zone, but I struggle so much at music reading that I've been practicing reading through a big stack of beginner pieces. I've got a couple of pieces from those beginner books in mind to play for the October Beginner pieces themed recital.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Pop songs I learnt as a kid
by KevinM - 05/08/21 07:37 AM
Question for pros - Hiring orchestra?
by trigalg693 - 05/08/21 01:49 AM
Clavinova as phone speaker
by Zara Kiniko - 05/08/21 01:25 AM
Sennheiser sells its consumer audio business
by FrankCox - 05/08/21 12:53 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,790
Posts3,091,069
Members101,444
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission