2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Animisha, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, 12 invisible), 1,869 guests, and 263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
If I recall correctly, Bach's 3rd Brandenburg concerto was sent to outer space on Voyager 1 for potential alien discoverers to hear.

Personally, I would have chosen Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring, as I've always felt it is the most special music ever written and represents humanity more than anything else ever could.

What would your pick be?

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Is Cardi B still on the table?

Only in men's imagination does every truth find an effective and undeniable existence. Imagination, not invention, is the supreme master of art as of life. -Józef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski
N
N
Easy (for me)

Beethoven's 9th

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Beethoven "Ode to Joy" without the singing in German...

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Ode to Joy, but only with the singing in German.

Only in men's imagination does every truth find an effective and undeniable existence. Imagination, not invention, is the supreme master of art as of life. -Józef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski
Mozart's Ave Verum Corpus. Even a heathen like me who actively avoids sacred music finds this sublimely beautiful. Schnabel famously said of this piece - "too simple for children and too difficult for adults".

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
No need to send anything, they can already hear it ;0

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
This is the Western classical music on the Voyager record:

Bach, Brandenburg Concerto No. 2 in F. First Movement, Munich Bach Orchestra, Karl Richter, conductor.

Bach, "Gavotte en rondeaux" from the Partita No. 3 in E major for Violin, performed by Arthur Grumiaux.

Mozart, The Magic Flute, Queen of the Night aria, no. 14. Edda Moser, soprano. Bavarian State Opera, Munich, Wolfgang Sawallisch, conductor.

Stravinsky, Rite of Spring, Sacrificial Dance, Columbia Symphony Orchestra, Igor Stravinsky, conductor.

Bach, The Well-Tempered Clavier, Book 2, Prelude and Fugue in C, No.1. Glenn Gould, piano.

Beethoven, Fifth Symphony, First Movement, the Philharmonia Orchestra, Otto Klemperer, conductor.

Beethoven, String Quartet No. 13 in B flat, Opus 130, Cavatina, performed by Budapest String Quartet.

Personally, I think it needs more diversity. Three Bachs and two Beethovens? Only one vocal piece? Surely we need a choral movement from Messiah or a Requiem - like the Hallelujah chorus or In Paradisum from Fauré's Requiem, which sounds, er, like paradise:

After all, we want to attract green aliens in UFOs to land here and make our heavenly body their home.....don't we? whistle (The Stravinsky will, of course, deter them from coming and becoming our sacrificial lambs.)

If music be the food of love, play on!
E
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
E
Most of this music stuff was invented 100s of years ago. I'd be extremely worried the aliens thought we were primitive and pushovers.

Last edited by EinLudov; 04/15/21 08:50 AM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I don't know a piece, but I know a composer - Ludovico Einaudi.

A
A
I do not know why, but I would send Beethoven's No. 21 in C major, op. 53 (Waldstein).

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Satie: "Vexations", to keep them out. Mahler: 8th symphony, to hail them in.

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bennevis
This is the Western classical music on the Voyager record:

Bach, Brandenburg Concerto No. 2 in F. First Movement, Munich Bach Orchestra, Karl Richter, conductor.

Bach, "Gavotte en rondeaux" from the Partita No. 3 in E major for Violin, performed by Arthur Grumiaux.

Mozart, The Magic Flute, Queen of the Night aria, no. 14. Edda Moser, soprano. Bavarian State Opera, Munich, Wolfgang Sawallisch, conductor.

Stravinsky, Rite of Spring, Sacrificial Dance, Columbia Symphony Orchestra, Igor Stravinsky, conductor.

Bach, The Well-Tempered Clavier, Book 2, Prelude and Fugue in C, No.1. Glenn Gould, piano.

Beethoven, Fifth Symphony, First Movement, the Philharmonia Orchestra, Otto Klemperer, conductor.

Beethoven, String Quartet No. 13 in B flat, Opus 130, Cavatina, performed by Budapest String Quartet.

Personally, I think it needs more diversity. Three Bachs and two Beethovens? Only one vocal piece? Surely we need a choral movement from Messiah or a Requiem - like the Hallelujah chorus or In Paradisum from Fauré's Requiem, which sounds, er, like paradise:

After all, we want to attract green aliens in UFOs to land here and make our heavenly body their home.....don't we? whistle (The Stravinsky will, of course, deter them from coming and becoming our sacrificial lambs.)

Wow, that list is actually quite meh... Not horrible, but not great.

You make a good point about the composers. I don't think any list is complete without about 15 more composers. Not sure how much space they had back in '77(?). We should do another.

Let's evolve this thread into "Your Voyager List". I'll post mine shortly.

B
B
Originally Posted by chopinetto
Wow, that list is actually quite meh... Not horrible, but not great.

You make a good point about the composers. I don't think any list is complete without about 15 more composers. Not sure how much space they had back in '77(?). We should do another.
The record has 90 minutes of music in analogue, not digital form, so all you need is just a needle in the groove. (CD didn't appear until 1982.) Though any record player rotating at the right speed can play the music, you need high alien intelligence to understand the other information on it........like how to find Earth thumb. (We don't want just any green alien Tom, Dick or Harriet to find us, do we?)

There's a lot of non-classical music on the record too. This is the complete list:

Bach, Brandenburg Concerto No. 2 in F. First Movement, Munich Bach Orchestra, Karl Richter, conductor. 4:40
Java, court gamelan, "Kinds of Flowers," recorded by Robert Brown. 4:43
Senegal, percussion, recorded by Charles Duvelle. 2:08
Zaire, Pygmy girls' initiation song, recorded by Colin Turnbull. 0:56
Australia, Aborigine songs, "Morning Star" and "Devil Bird," recorded by Sandra LeBrun Holmes. 1:26
Mexico, "El Cascabel," performed by Lorenzo Barcelata and the Mariachi México. 3:14
"Johnny B. Goode," written and performed by Chuck Berry. 2:38
New Guinea, men's house song, recorded by Robert MacLennan. 1:20
Japan, shakuhachi, "Tsuru No Sugomori" ("Crane's Nest,") performed by Goro Yamaguchi. 4:51
Bach, "Gavotte en rondeaux" from the Partita No. 3 in E major for Violin, performed by Arthur Grumiaux. 2:55
Mozart, The Magic Flute, Queen of the Night aria, no. 14. Edda Moser, soprano. Bavarian State Opera, Munich, Wolfgang Sawallisch, conductor. 2:55
Georgian S.S.R., chorus, "Tchakrulo," collected by Radio Moscow. 2:18
Peru, panpipes and drum, collected by Casa de la Cultura, Lima. 0:52
"Melancholy Blues," performed by Louis Armstrong and his Hot Seven. 3:05
Azerbaijan S.S.R., bagpipes, recorded by Radio Moscow. 2:30
Stravinsky, Rite of Spring, Sacrificial Dance, Columbia Symphony Orchestra, Igor Stravinsky, conductor. 4:35
Bach, The Well-Tempered Clavier, Book 2, Prelude and Fugue in C, No.1. Glenn Gould, piano. 4:48
Beethoven, Fifth Symphony, First Movement, the Philharmonia Orchestra, Otto Klemperer, conductor. 7:20
Bulgaria, "Izlel je Delyo Hagdutin," sung by Valya Balkanska. 4:59
Navajo Indians, Night Chant, recorded by Willard Rhodes. 0:57
Holborne, Paueans, Galliards, Almains and Other Short Aeirs, "The Fairie Round," performed by David Munrow and the Early Music Consort of London. 1:17
Solomon Islands, panpipes, collected by the Solomon Islands Broadcasting Service. 1:12
Peru, wedding song, recorded by John Cohen. 0:38
China, ch'in, "Flowing Streams," performed by Kuan P'ing-hu. 7:37
India, raga, "Jaat Kahan Ho," sung by Surshri Kesar Bai Kerkar. 3:30
"Dark Was the Night," written and performed by Blind Willie Johnson. 3:15
Beethoven, String Quartet No. 13 in B flat, Opus 130, Cavatina, performed by Budapest String Quartet. 6:37

If music be the food of love, play on!
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Sticking with one piece, I keep coming back to Brahms Variations on a Theme by Hadyn. You can pick the op. 56a or 56b (2 piano) version.

I listened to the Dena Piano Duo version today. I think I recommend that one at the moment for 56b. I have no idea which performance to recommend for the orchestral version.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
2001: A Space Odyssey theme "Also sprach Zarathustra" composed in 1896 by Richard Strauss
Debussy "Clair de Lune"
Vaughan Williams "Fantasia on Greensleeves"
Bach Brandenburg #1

Q
Q
Handel's "Messiah"
Bach Goldberg Variations
Bach Mass in B minor
Vaughan Williams "Fantasy on a Theme from Tallis"
Mahler Adagietto from Symphony No. 5
Tallis "If Ye Love Me"

P
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
P

Or

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
^ haha love it

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
I can think of one piece I'd be happy to send to outer space!

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission