2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
74 members (amc252, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, 16 invisible), 1,895 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Exactly, I’d expect to pay $10k to have an action completely replaced, including hammers and follow up regulation on-site after breaking in.

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
I'm wondering if you live in a remote place? It's the only reason I can think of for all these services to cost so much.

2001 Petrof 125 -> 2002 Petrof IV -> 1999 Bösendorfer 225
H
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
H
In terms of "Precision Touch Design", are you refer to Stanwood Precision Touch Design?

You can refer to the Stanwood website for more info: http://www.stanwoodpiano.com/first.html

I had a post here asking about Stanwood a few months ago. I haven't done that though. I'm still thinking about doing that. My tech was asking $2,500 for a full Stanwood regulation and a voicing.

Piano: 1982 NY Steinway Model B, Yamaha AvantGrand N3X
VST(preference in order): VSL Synchron Pianos, Vienna Imperial, Garritan CFX, VI Labs Modern U, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq
Harpuia #3106012 04/14/21 05:33 AM
H
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted by twocats
I'm wondering if you live in a remote place? It's the only reason I can think of for all these services to cost so much.

No, actually not. But it actually depends on the reputation of the technician. Good ones charge more. The same with transportation. The prices here are around 1000 euros to move a heavy grand from A to B within a small radius if there are some stairs on both sides.

Originally Posted by Harpuia
In terms of "Precision Touch Design", are you refer to Stanwood Precision Touch Design?
yes, exactly. But this will require that they drill holes to the keys to put some lead? Not sure I want that. I was also thinking of having the silent system removed to have more freedom for regulation.

Bösendorfer 230VC
W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
Why not trade your S6 in for a piano you like and find a good technician who will not rip you off for maintaining it.

You seem to have the same limitations in your S6 as Sonepica found in an S7X a few days ago.

Will you be content with your S6 if those limitations persist after the finest technician has replaced the hammers, regulated the action, and voiced the piano as you wish?

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Originally Posted by hans1980
Originally Posted by twocats

No, actually not. But it actually depends on the reputation of the technician. Good ones charge more. The same with transportation. The prices here are around 1000 euros to move a heavy grand from A to B within a small radius if there are some stairs on both sides.
I and others assumed only the action would be moved to the tech's work space. I have never heard of moving an entire piano so that it can be regulated. As far as prices go, some techs, of course, charge more but the prices you mentioned seemed absurdly high. They were more like a complete action and hammer replacement.

I'm also not convinced that your piano needs a full multiple day regulation. I think you should get a second opinion because sometimes action problems can be solved in an hour or less.

H
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted by Withindale
Why not trade your S6 in for a piano you like and find a good technician who will not rip you off for maintaining it.
Will you be content with your S6 if those limitations persist after the finest technician has replaced the hammers, regulated the action, and voiced the piano as you wish?

That's what I am thinking of. This S6 requires a lot of hard practising for light pieces to sound nice. Tried out a fine new Bösendorfer the other day, and the pieces sounded just right from the beginning on. The upgrade amount to a high end 7f grand like bösendorfer or bechstein is almost the price of a new s6. Just have to make the right decision and that in the end I still like the character of the instrument after the "make up" of nice shop preparation has gone and it settled in

Bösendorfer 230VC
H
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted by Sonepica
It's coincidental that you say the Yamahas seem to have faster decay, because I made exactly this observation in my recent thread "My thoughts on the Yamaha S7X". The Hailun 218 has really good sustain, incidentally.

Just try to come close to this performance by playing the first few bars which are relatively easy without using the pedal. Does it sound right on that S7x or does it hurt your ears?

Then try to play the left hand in 25s-35s with the proper emphasis. Can you play it light and with ease? Then 35s - 45s can you play this passage with different colors?

Here all lines sound kind of the same:

Bösendorfer 230VC
Online Content
Originally Posted by hans1980
Originally Posted by Sonepica
It's coincidental that you say the Yamahas seem to have faster decay, because I made exactly this observation in my recent thread "My thoughts on the Yamaha S7X". The Hailun 218 has really good sustain, incidentally.

Just try to come close to this performance by playing the first few bars which are relatively easy without using the pedal. Does it sound right on that S7x or does it hurt your ears?

Then try to play the left hand in 25s-35s with the proper emphasis. Can you play it light and with ease? Then 35s - 45s can you play this passage with different colors?

Here all lines sound kind of the same:

The differences you hear are mostly due to the different qualities of the performers. No piano makes it easy to sound like Sokolov or any very great pianist.

j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
What about trading in your S6 for a CF6? When I tried the CF4, the action was impeccable in my opinion of course and I was delighted with the sound.

Last edited by j&j; 04/14/21 11:09 AM.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
W
W
Hi again Hans. You can never judge this type of recordings to compare the pianos. It mostly depends of where the microphone was during the recording. The further the mic is from the piano, the more sustain the piano will appear to have and the sound will be more blended in. Even if you are at the concert, the further you seat, the more sustain you get. Pianists try to play with less pedal in big halls, because further away, the sound appears overpedalled.

j&j #3106201 04/14/21 02:54 PM
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by j&j
What about trading in your S6 for a CF6? When I tried the CF4, the action was impeccable in my opinion of course and I was delighted with the sound.

If there is anyway at all possible to go this route, I'd highly recommend it. CFX aside, the CF6 is my favorite Yamaha piano.

I owned a new S6 from 1997 to 2006, when I sold it to help fund the Steinway.

During this period I was at the height of my practicing hours. I was constantly having to get the hammers voiced down as it became overly bright quickly. I don't have a heavy touch, or do intense classical pieces that require extra attention. It seemed the older the piano got after maybe 5 years, the more frequent I was getting it voiced. By the time I sold it, it really needed a new set of hammers. I let the buyer know about all of this, he was up in Canada and bought it sight unseen/played. He said he was ok with just having an independent tech check it out beforehand.

It was a good piano but to be honest, if I had it to do over again, I would have just kept my C7e I bought in 1988. But I did get more on the sale with the S6.

I hear the CF6 has a quantum leap. It would actually be a tough choice between it and a NY B for our living room. A Great Jazz piano...which is what I do.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission