2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
27 members (AprilE, CyberGene, David B, Emily2Lame, ColoRodney, CaseyVancouver, 7 invisible), 436 guests, and 582 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
OP Offline
W
So my theory is this:

The pianists who go on to become "great"* (or maybe just "good" depending on your definition) have one or two things in common:

1. Start playing the piano early (as kids or young adults).
  2. Get a musical degree.

There's probably an overlap between #1 and #2, but the main point is that it's the pianists that are taught in most/all aspects of music and not just the piano. Ear training, rhythms, music theory, improvisation and so on.

Said in another way, those pianists that focus primarily on the piano never really make it as far even if they're diligent and serious about learning.

What's your experience?

* I don't know if there's some kind of international assessment scale, so I can't describe precisely what I mean by "great". On the top end concert pianists for sure. On the lower end those who get top spots in competitions, church organists (I know they might not be great pianists, but they have the ability to learn fairly complex pieces for a keyboard-based instrument on a weekly basis) and the linkes.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
N
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
N
Drop these theories! Huge self-taught pianists have existed and still exist in history. It's all a matter of talent and PR. Talent from God, PR from fate.

T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
I don't know how you'd define "great." But certainly virtuoso levels of skill do not require and may not even benefit from having a degree.

Playing piano is an athletic performance. Like, plumbing or fine carpentry perhaps, in that it requires fine motor coordination beyond most of our comprehension.

(I would not necessarily put concert pianists at the top end either, but that point is arguable)

gotta go practice
And, some that began lessons young and even study in college do not go on to become great.

There is no perfect formula.

I heard the Bible verse- PROVERBS 22:6 KJV "Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it"
taught as such-

find your child's bent/their passion/their interests. Help them grow and learn and develop. Guide them. But do not force hours of stressful lessons of classes on them. There will be times to push, and times to pull. Parenting is hard.

You may want a concert violinist. You may get a fiddler.
You may want a doctor. You may get a physical therapist. You may get a stressed college drop out who becomes a shop clerk.

teach your child how to learn, and appreciate.

Let them know you love them and show them the world.

Good luck!

Learning as I teach.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The 1 thing I must emphasize is the passion (love) of music. I know a few people who took music lessons as a child (the parents' decision). They had the talent to pass conservatory levels but at the end of the day their pianos sit at home as a piece of furniture. One man who took piano lessons years ago got his kids into piano / violin. After a few years they all quit. The father admitted he hated piano that he haven't touched the instrument after passing his last music exam. An intelligent man with no interest in music.

The people who took up music as a degree needs a lot of passion. Takes a few years of training and a lot of money.

I tried piano unsuccessfully at age 5 and started learning as an adult 3 decades later. Not a virtuoso but nonetheless someone with an interest in music, I would practice (play) once a day, 365 days a year. I met people who are amateur pianist in the sense that they are Classical trained who perform regularly but did not take up music as a profession like a dentist or a doctor.

Today people are living longer. Many older adults & retirees get into playing piano. We enjoy playing music as much or even more so than young people who got enrolled into a music program by their parents.

Moderated by  Ken Knapp 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Mason and Hamlin A Caster Sockets
by jnack95 - 05/10/21 11:16 PM
Help me pick! Kawai CN39 or Yamaha CSP150
by lety - 05/10/21 07:42 PM
Liszt Rhapsodie Espagnole
by dolce sfogato - 05/10/21 06:23 PM
C.Bechstein D282: Rachmaninoff
by Lucubrate - 05/10/21 06:17 PM
List of 100 Pieces for the Developing Pianist
by Tal√£o - 05/10/21 04:06 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,849
Posts3,092,026
Members101,468
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission