2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
31 members (Eduardo82, JB_PW, gooddog, ee375, boo1234, EPW, EVC2017, 7 invisible), 538 guests, and 614 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
OP Offline
S
Hi,
Noob here.
I’m looking for a keyboard for my kids 5 and 7 years old ( beginners). Plan is if they like playing, 4 years down the road I’ll buy an accoustic piano. I’m looking for suggestions

I’m considering a used clavinova ( probably over 10 year old ( clp 153 , clp 860, clp 990) all ranging around 600 to 900 dollars.
I’m curious to know how the touch of these keys are. Does it feel like a real accoustic piano
Or
Would you rather go for a brand new keyboard ie
Yamaha p155 ( $800) which isn’t as goood as a clavinova but I guess is newer.
My main thing is sound and the feel of a real accoustic piano.

What do you recommend?? Or any suggestions of any other keyboards budget friendly ( under 1k) Help!!

Last edited by Shortshoppy; 04/14/21 11:58 AM.
E
E
Buy new.

There are hidden pitfalls for buying used if you don't know what to test for. You don't need to worry about action, the manufacturers make pretty much the same things segregated by price, so you just pick a budget and fire.

I will say DGX670 is more fun out of the box, if you compare it to any other $800 piano, they don't have nearly as much stuff to play with, check it out on youtube. Trouble is DGX670 is a rare pokemon to find in the wild right now.

Last edited by EinLudov; 04/14/21 12:07 PM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Of the pianos you listed, the CLP990 outclasses the rest. But they're all WAY too old:
CLP153 . . . 1994
CLP860 . . . 1998
CLP990 . . . 2001
I wouldn't buy a used piano any more than five years old. Otherwise you're asking for trouble.

As EinLudov pointed out, you have no means to evaluate the wear on the piano action.
Unless a key is broken (mechanical) or not functioning quite right (dirty or defective sensor), you'll conclude that the piano is just fine, even though trouble might loom in the near future.
And the most basic repair these days will cost $200.

I think it's best to find a new piano or a used recent model.
Among new pianos the DGX series (already mentioned) are good contenders in your price range. There are Roland FP-series pianos, too.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
At 10+ years old, and no longer even remotely current models, they are probably worth a quarter of what they cost new, at most. $600 to $900 is probably too high of a price to pay, and the likelihood of small to moderate repairs being needed is not insignificant at that age. In addition to the actions possibly getting arthritic, I was never that big of a fan of the AWM sound engine from those older models—the new stuff certainly sounds better.

But to their credit, Clavinovas are typically very well-made digital pianos that will last quite a while.

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Shortshoppy
I’m considering a used clavinova ( probably over 10 year old ( clp 153 , clp 860, clp 990) all ranging around 600 to 900 dollars.

I actually think in Euros, but sounds overpriced. They all pretty old and unremarkable except for the the CLP-990 which was a pretty special model for Yamaha. (But how great by today's standards? I don't have an answer.)

I’m curious to know how the touch of these keys are. Does it feel like a real accoustic piano

It's sort of a relative thing. Some (with a high standard) might say that hardly any digital pianos feel like acoustic pianos. Others might say that "to a certain degree" the old Clavinovas are similar to an acoustic piano. And of course to a degree they are.

Would you rather go for a brand new keyboard ie Yamaha p155 ( $800) which isn’t as goood as a clavinova but I guess is newer.

The P-155 was followed by the P-255 which was followed by the P-515, so it isn't really that new anymore.

What do you recommend?? Or any suggestions of any other keyboards budget friendly ( under 1k) Help!!

Some of these might be pretty decent for beginners: https://www.kraftmusic.com/digital-...ufacturer:Korg/filter:manufacturer:Casio

S
OP Offline
S
Thanks everyone that responded. I think I’ll give up on the idea of used clavinova from 10+ years ago
I’m looking at brand new digital pianos now....

Now I need help again.
I checked the Roland FP10. You think it matters it only has 1 pedal? I’m trying to replicate an accoustic piano for my kids so they get the best feel vs the cool other stuff we can do on a digital piano ie make it sound like organ drums etc.

Any other recommendations? Budget under 1k

Thoughts on any Casio digital keyboards?

T
T
The Roland FP30 and its cabinetry will give you three working pedals. The action and sound is quite good.

It is a very good entry level machine with lots of other instrument sounds. Also fits your price requirements. When I upgrade, I plan to give it to a nephew or niece that may be interested in taking lessons.

Best of luck on your search.

S
OP Offline
S
Any other suggestions? For a digital piano with great sound and accoustic feel? I’d like to compare a few

Any Casio recommendations? Those seem to all be in stock.

H
H
Hello,

From the tests that I did for my own piano selection last fall, I definitely cannot recommend any of the Casio models in the low to mid price ranges. Their key feel just really isn't good enough.

At your considered price/investment level, I think @tholepin's suggestion of the FP30(X) with matching 'wooden' stand and triple pedals is quite on the money, so to speak.

If any options you seriously consider are not available right now, it would be wiser to wait until they are, than to settle for something that you're likely to regret rather sooner than later.

Cheers and good luck,

HZ

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Mason and Hamlin A Caster Sockets
by jnack95 - 05/10/21 11:16 PM
Help me pick! Kawai CN39 or Yamaha CSP150
by lety - 05/10/21 07:42 PM
Liszt Rhapsodie Espagnole
by dolce sfogato - 05/10/21 06:23 PM
C.Bechstein D282: Rachmaninoff
by Lucubrate - 05/10/21 06:17 PM
List of 100 Pieces for the Developing Pianist
by Talão - 05/10/21 04:06 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,848
Posts3,092,014
Members101,468
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission