2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
84 members (brdwyguy, AlphaBravoCharlie, Bruce In Philly, antune, 36251, 22 invisible), 1,445 guests, and 599 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3105759 04/13/21 01:26 PM
N
OP Online Content
N
So i have decided against purchasing a grand piano due to space limitations and not wanting to overwhelm my household with the volume of a grand. and have pretty much narrowed down my choices to the K400 and K700.

From my understanding, both the 400 and the 700 models are identical to the K300 & K500 respectively, with the only difference being that they have the grand piano style music desk, which in my opinion is a huge plus (and i dont know why most uprights dont incorporate this design).

Normally, i would have bought the K400 without hesitating much since i really don't want to buy a piano that is too loud, however, the K700 uses the Neotex keys while the K400 doesn't.

So to summarize, the K700 is only 8 cm longer than the K400, and it uses the Neotex keys. in your opinion, do you think that the 8 cm will make a huge difference in piano volume? and will the Neotex keys enhance the playing experience? or should i just get the smaller K400?

Really appreciate your feedback.

thanks.

Last edited by NightShade; 04/13/21 01:27 PM.
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
If you're not able to easily find those models (I think they are not sold in all countries), you could order an aftermarket music desk. It got good reviews.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/656182386/grand-music-stand-gms-for-upright-pianos

Also, it's really best to go play the actual pianos you're considering rather than shopping based on specs.

2001 Petrof 125 -> 2002 Petrof IV -> 1999 Bösendorfer 225
J
J
Longer string and Neotex absolute are big deal to me but It depends on the price difference. By the way, I was also worrying about grand piano being too loud in my small living room. But it turned out that it is actually noticeably quieter that my Kawai K300 when the lid is closed. So I think sound level should not be your concern. By the way, my new grand is 5'8. Still quite large for my 10' x 13' room.

Last edited by JerryFan2000; 04/13/21 02:02 PM.

Yamaha C2X
Kawai MP11SE
Kawai K300 (Sold)

My Youtube channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxcUXVYxe1KM914SJX8YXsg
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JerryFan2000
By the way, my new grand is 5'8. Still quite large for my 10' x 13' room.
We’re piano room siblings, LOL! My room is also 10’ x 13’! My grand is 5’4”, though. 😊

Lisa
Chief Cook & Pot Scrubber @ Cunningham Piano Club 🎹
Cunningham Studio Grand & Yamaha CLP645

"I tell my piano the things I used to tell you." - Frederic Chopin
B
B
The K500 also has the faster repetition due to some kind of innovation and is supposed to make a big difference. I could definitely feel it was faster then the k300 when I tried them side by side.

I would not hesitate to go for the k700.

A
A
Isn’t there a small sliding panel behind the music desk on the K400 so that the sound can be projected toward you? The panel slid open or closed. I could be wrong but I think I remember the dealer pointing this out to me when I tried a K400. I was hesitating between the K400 and the K500. Ended up choosing the K500 because I preferred the feel of the neotex keys and the overall sound. I never had a chance to see a K700.

N
OP Online Content
N
Originally Posted by ADIRL
Isn’t there a small sliding panel behind the music desk on the K400 so that the sound can be projected toward you? The panel slid open or closed. I could be wrong but I think I remember the dealer pointing this out to me when I tried a K400. I was hesitating between the K400 and the K500. Ended up choosing the K500 because I preferred the feel of the neotex keys and the overall sound. I never had a chance to see a K700.

I never heard about the sliding panel, do you perhaps mean the muffler pedal? Which muffles the sound and makes the piano much quieter? All the Kawai uprights have this feature.

J
J

I think you are referring to the opening "holes" behind the music rack.
The piano tech is pointing at [img]http://imgur.com/a/LYmOQfv[/img]

He mentioned that US60 / US 60M have it while previous models e.g US50 (the other piano in the pic) dont have. Im aware that US6X have it too but I belive K-series dont have.
Hope it helps.

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Essentially the K400 is a K300 with the music desk cabinet and the K700 is the K500 with music desk. The K300 and K500 are much more widely available than the music desks models so I suggest playing both and seeing which you prefer.

FWIW I much prefer the K500 to the K300 and I found (although it doesn't seem reasonable) that the K400 I played was also quite a lot nicer than the K300, maybe it was just the individual pianos I played.

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G

There isn't a sliding panel but there are sound ports (holes) behind the music desk, then you can tilt the music desk in or out which does to some extent control the amount of direct radiated sound through the ports. Yo do get a more immediate sound from these although the effect is not night and day - try one and see if you can.

B
B
I much prefer the design of the K500 over K700 but my personal preference but the holes behind the music desk is genius and I think this is maybe why you liked it more? You get the direct sounds without needing to open the piano lid for the top.

N
OP Online Content
N
Originally Posted by Boboulus
I much prefer the design of the K500 over K700 but my personal preference but the holes behind the music desk is genius and I think this is maybe why you liked it more? You get the direct sounds without needing to open the piano lid for the top.

Actually, i didn't even realise that there were holes behind the desk. the reason that i prefer the design of the K700 is because i often work with many different pieces at once, so i always have books and sheet on my piano, this will not be possible with the k500 since you can only use the rack after opening the fallboard.

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Boboulus

Yes I think the ports are a great idea and my K800 has bass ports below the keyboard as well so even better. Of course Kawai are not unique in this and other manufacturers do this a bit as well now.

It wasn't just the sound ports though, I thought the K400 had an overall noticeably nicer tone than expected compared to the similar K300 - more so than I could logically explain. That said I didn't really play the K300 much as it was the K500 I was really interested in and it actually would have been a hard choice between the K500 and K400, maybe that K400 was just an exceptionally nice one.

A
A
Sound ports not a panel. Yes. That was it! I too preferred the overall sound of the K400 instead of the K300 even though the dealer told me that they were the same piano except for the music desk. But once I played the K500 it was a done deal. It was more than I had budgeted for a piano but I went the extra as I felt in the long term it would be a piano I could grow with. It sounds like you can afford the K700 and the music desk style is very important to you. Maybe that’s the one?

Last edited by ADIRL; 04/14/21 10:20 AM.
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Sound ports not a panel. Yes. That was it! I too preferred the overall sound of the K400 instead of the K300 even though the dealer told me that they were the same piano except for the music desk. But once I played the K500 it was a done deal. It was more than I had budgeted for a piano but I went the extra as I felt in the long term it would be a piano I could grow with. It sounds like you can afford the K700 and the music desk style is very important to you. Maybe that’s the one?

Yes, I loved the K500 from when I first played it but at the time we bought our first piano it was beyond our budget. And when we then upgraded we were able to look higher up the ranges and so the K500 was again bypassed - but it is a fabulous piano and I think probably the best value in the Kawai range. Have lots of fun playing it.

P
P
Originally Posted by NightShade
So to summarize, the K700 is only 8 cm longer than the K400, and it uses the Neotex keys. in your opinion, do you think that the 8 cm will make a huge difference in piano volume? and will the Neotex keys enhance the playing experience? or should i just get the smaller K400?

Really appreciate your feedback.

thanks.

I have a K300 and regularly play a K500. The K500 is a bit louder but not much. The tone is richer especially at the higher end. The neotex is certainly nice to have. The K300/K400 is still a very nice piano though. For me, the disadvantage of the K500 is that the action is heavier than that of the K300, but others may consider that an advantage.

N
OP Online Content
N

It really might be the one, there's a new dealer opening open soon where i live so im just waiting for it to open up before committing to my purchase. but for now, i seem to gravitate towards the K700.

@ Nightshade, I guess you live in Europe since the K-700 is available in your market....I'm SO green with envy! Here in N. America the K-700 is not an option, poor us. According to 2 Kawai dealers I spoke to there is no market "demand". How can there be a "demand" when a product isn't made available? Sorry, I digress.

If I was in your position I would buy the K-700 over the K-500. Why? The sound portals behind the moveable music desk that would give it a nicer, overall richer sound, the size of the music desk and its style. It's a piano I would be happy with for a very long time. I have played the Kawai K-800 and the Yamaha YUS5, both wonderful pianos, but too much piano for my very small home. I liked everything about the K-500 except its style! If it looked like the 700 with its grand-style music desk it would be in my home now.

For myself I'm looking at either the K-400 or the ST-1. In my area the ST-1 is rather popular.

Hopefully the new dealer will be open sooner than later and the K-700 turns out to be the one.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tone Deaf
@ Nightshade, I guess you live in Europe since the K-700 is available in your market....I'm SO green with envy! Here in N. America the K-700 is not an option, poor us. According to 2 Kawai dealers I spoke to there is no market "demand". How can there be a "demand" when a product isn't made available? Sorry, I digress.

Tone Deaf, I believe it was you I wrote to and said that we tried this model in the past. We brought the K-70 (the predecessor) over and offered it. Because the price difference between it and the K-50 at that time, we had trouble selling them and ended up selling what we had to our dealers at a loss!

So, it was a real test. The K-400 cabinet doesn't seem to be costing as much of a price difference from the K-300, so it we do carry that model - but even so, it sells many fewer than the K300.

Don Mannino, MPA
Kawai America

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha 515-P... sounds bad or it's just me???
by Riccardo92 - 07/28/21 06:23 PM
Rachmaninoff anyone? I'm having so much fun!
by gooddog - 07/28/21 06:21 PM
Yamaha 515-P... sounds bad or it's just me???
by Riccardo92 - 07/28/21 06:10 PM
Plan Ahead! 2022 Themed Recitals
by Sam S - 07/28/21 04:37 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics208,265
Posts3,117,115
Members102,261
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission