2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
52 members (accordeur, anotherscott, Asperatology, ambrozy, butchkoch, Alex Hutor, BlakeOR, 12 invisible), 525 guests, and 559 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by FloRi89
Originally Posted by Ralphiano
I have Pianoteq Stage 7.2, and this thread convinced me to spend some time with the Ant. Petrof 225. I played it for a couple of days and liked it. So, today I upgraded to 7.3 and bought the Petrof pack to see how much better the Mistral is.

The Petrof Mistral seems different in kind from previous pianos from Pianoteq. To my ear, it is the first Pianoteq piano to come close to sampled sound. The muffled effect is largely gone. The piano sounds like it is in the same room as the player. The tone of the piano is pleasing. The bass is almost overpowering, and I'm going to have to refine my left hand control to play it well. However, the bass notes are very clear, there is no muddiness or booming to it. The upper registers, though somewhat bright, are not in any way disturbing. They are pretty. And, I do not hear the shrillness that used to bother me so much.

With the tremendous difference in sound, and the unusual timing of the Mistral's entry into the lineup, I wonder if this Mistral represents some new technological advance in Modartt's methodology, with the Mistral as their trial balloon. If this is some major technological leap forward, then there are likely good things to come for the rest of the lineup, and maybe for an expansion of their lineup into other piano brands.

I hope so! The Mistral is the most enjoyable Pianoteq experienced I've had.

I haven't bought it yet but I played around with the demo a lot, I tend to agree, this new one is way ahead of the other ones. It has some ringining in the treble notes, but a lot less annoying then previous pianos had. On most of them I had to tone that harshness down, but not for this one. If that paves the future for PT, I'm impressed.

I might be wrong here (usually am, I don't care much haha) but every time i've sat at an acoustic, the harshness is there often from those resonances. You regulate them with the pedal. That's why selective pedalling on an acoustic is a must wheras on a digital, one tends to play almost with it depressed.
I fear Moddart may be departing fro its acoustic emulation to a more refined sound pleasing to its most vociferous critics.
It's exactly what governments do. And look where it gets them!

Last edited by peterws; 04/13/21 04:03 AM.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
F
FloRi89 Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by peterws
I have Pianoteq Stage 7.2, and this thread convinced me to spend some time with the Ant. Petrof 225. I played it for a couple of days and liked it. So, today I upgraded to 7.3 and bought the Petrof pack to see how much better the Mistral is.

The Petrof Mistral seems different in kind from previous pianos from Pianoteq. To my ear, it is the first Pianoteq piano to come close to sampled sound. The muffled effect is largely gone. The piano sounds like it is in the same room as the player. The tone of the piano is pleasing. The bass is almost overpowering, and I'm going to have to refine my left hand control to play it well. However, the bass notes are very clear, there is no muddiness or booming to it. The upper registers, though somewhat bright, are not in any way disturbing. They are pretty. And, I do not hear the shrillness that used to bother me so much.

With the tremendous difference in sound, and the unusual timing of the Mistral's entry into the lineup, I wonder if this Mistral represents some new technological advance in Modartt's methodology, with the Mistral as their trial balloon. If this is some major technological leap forward, then there are likely good things to come for the rest of the lineup, and maybe for an expansion of their lineup into other piano brands.

I haven't bought it yet but I played around with the demo a lot, I tend to agree, this new one is way ahead of the other ones. It has some ringining in the treble notes, but a lot less annoying then previous pianos had. On most of them I had to tone that harshness down, but not for this one. If that paves the future for PT, I'm impressed.

I might be wrong here (usually am, I don't care much haha) but every time i've sat at an acoustic, the harshness is there often from those resonances. You regulate them with the pedal. That's why selective pedalling on an acoustic is a must wheras on a digital, one tends to play almost with it depressed.
I fear Moddart may be departing fro its acoustic emulation to a more refined sound pleasing to its most vociferous critics.

I don't know, my parents own two grands and new Yamaha silent grand and a C.Bechstein from 1930, both don't exhibit this metallic harshness that is common in the treble of most PT instruments. Personally I really like PT, but at this point I'm pretty sure I could find the PT recording 10/10 times from recordings because of this exact sound because it's so uniqute to PT and I have never heard that sound in any recording before.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I don't know, my parents own two grands and new Yamaha silent grand and a C.Bechstein from 1930, both don't exhibit this metallic harshness that is common in the treble of most PT instruments. Personally I really like PT, but at this point I'm pretty sure I could find the PT recording 10/10 times from recordings because of this exact sound because it's so uniqute to PT and I have never heard that sound in any recording before.

Maybe that is what causes me acoustic fatigue... In fact I use to add the SOFT setting EQ in PTQ so the higher frequencies get reduced

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1
...plus some other DPs, synths, controllers and VSTs

[Linked Image]
P
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
P
You guys are so sensitive, “acoustic fatigue”. We need a little harshness in our lives because riding around on a velvety-soft carpet may feel good, but it doesn’t prepare you for a rough/harsh landing!

So get off that flying carpet and walk amongst the peasants like yours truly!

Have you ever chopped wood till your fingers bled red?
Or have you even milked a cow that wants no milking?
Perhaps you’ve never had to shave a sheep and then leave it exposed to the elements so that someone else gets to wear -that sheep- as a coat, but I’ve had to do that and more.

I’ve grown and picked the food; I’ve chopped the wood; I’ve slaughtered the pig, and I’ve slept under the stars with nothing but a shovel and my imagination.

What have y’all done; other than fly around on that velvety-soft flying carpet?

I advise: prepare for a rough landing!

F
FloRi89 Offline OP
OP Offline
F
O.K luck will have it, I just listened to a random recording on Spotify that indeed has the same metallic quality that PT has:
https://open.spotify.com/track/4zsdFbTjWq7p0Y07xUyxVD?si=4e7d0104ae3f4859

If you have Spotify listen to this, would be interesting to know what piano he uses. Anybody know him?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pete14
You guys are so sensitive, “acoustic fatigue”. We need a little harshness in our lives because riding around on a velvety-soft carpet may feel good, but it doesn’t prepare you for a rough/harsh landing!

So get off that flying carpet and walk amongst the peasants like yours truly!

Have you ever chopped wood till your fingers bled red?
Or have you even milked a cow that wants no milking?
Perhaps you’ve never had to shave a sheep and then leave it exposed to the elements so that someone else gets to wear -that sheep- as a coat, but I’ve had to do that and more.

I’ve grown and picked the food; I’ve chopped the wood; I’ve slaughtered the pig, and I’ve slept under the stars with nothing but a shovel and my imagination.

What have y’all done; other than fly around on that velvety-soft flying carpet?

I advise: prepare for a rough landing!

You have no clue on everyone else life. Being sensitive to some kind of sounds has nothing to do with the rest of our lives. I won't enter on personal details, but for sure my life has not been a walking on a roses garden.

Keep on with your life and let us do the same.

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1

[Linked Image]
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by peterws

Pianos have a steel frame, strings, and in some cases, a steel sound box with holes in it as well as the wooden thing behind the strings which sits quietly in position to make it all look nice.
One might complain to the manufacturers of your parents pianos as to why they're deprived of such metallica. Wood and steel is an excellent combination! Hard and soft, a celebration of contrasts!

"[Linked Image]"
P
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
P
Have you ever looked a chicken in the eye right before you killed it (for dinner)?

Do you have any idea how that feels; to kill a chicken that you raised as one of your own; a chick that once hatched in front of me and all but called me ‘daddy’?

To then have to kill that little chicken that I loved so much because things are so rough that we must eat our own (family members). Yes, that chicken was like a son to me, yet I ate it.

But you are correct, it is wrong for me to assume that y’all have had it easy, but one thing I can say for sure, you ain’t had it worse than Pete!

E
EPW Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Pete14
Have you ever looked a chicken in the eye right before you killed it (for dinner)?

Do you have any idea how that feels; to kill a chicken that you raised as one of your own; a chick that once hatched in front of me and all but called me ‘daddy’?

To then have to kill that little chicken that I loved so much because things are so rough that we must eat our own (family members). Yes, that chicken was like a son to me, yet I ate it.

But you are correct, it is wrong for me to assume that y’all have had it easy, but one thing I can say for sure, you ain’t had it worse than Pete!

Really from Pianoteq to Chickens this is really getting to be a strange turn of events...

How were the eggs by the way?

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
E
EPW Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
You have no clue on everyone else life. Being sensitive to some kind of sounds has nothing to do with the rest of our lives. I won't enter on personal details, but for sure my life has not been a walking on a roses garden.

Next time work through the rose garden not on it please wink

P
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
P
Yes, I killed chicken little; I’m a monster!

Thanks a lot for undoing decades of therapy to deal with my guilt for killing chicken little; ironically enough, I also butchered cows, pigs, sheep, and rabbits, yet never felt the least bit of guilt. I suppose we can sometimes be selective as to what accounts for ‘animal cruelty’.

Here I am, crying over a long-dead and eaten chicken whilst I chow down half a’ cow. Oh well, so much for integrity!

P.S.

So, how ‘bout that Mistral? I hear it’s great!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by EPW

Try to say it in Spanish and we will be at the same level grin

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1

[Linked Image]
E
EPW Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by EB5AGV
Originally Posted by EPW

Try to say it in Spanish and we will be at the same level grin

Got me there.

Anyway I do think Pianoteq has gotten way better since I brought it 2015 I believe. I heard the ringing in the early versions say 1-3 and couldn't jump on board. For me the newest version PT7 has been a joy to play.

Couldn't agree more. I pulled the trigger last night, and stayed up way past my bedtime playing Mistral into the wee hours. Debussy and Ravel with the Gentle preset, oh my goodness.
Unfortunately, as Pianoteq continually gets better, I become more dissatisfied with my current controller (Yamaha P-515). It never ends, does it?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by Bobby Simons
Couldn't agree more. I pulled the trigger last night, and stayed up way past my bedtime playing Mistral into the wee hours. Debussy and Ravel with the Gentle preset, oh my goodness.

Oh... wow. It appears that Modartt has a hit here.

I used the Mistral for a chord-heavy practice session yesterday as someone suggested and quite enjoyed it. It's a lot of fun!

However, I do feel that there are improvements across the board in Pianoteq 7.3. The NY Steinway D is still my default and probably the next one I will do something with.

I wonder how long it takes and how much it costs to make a new model like this with branding stamp of approval.

Online Content
I like the overall sound of the Mistral, but I still prefer the general clarity of the NY Steinway D.

But then, I've never killed a chicken, so... what do I know? Cluck, cluck, brrrrrruck... smile

"I think it's the excitement only a free man can feel; a free man at the start of a long journey, whose conclusion is uncertain." -- Morgan Freeman's character, "Red", in The Shawshank Redemption
E
EPW Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by SeaDrive
I like the overall sound of the Mistral, but I still prefer the general clarity of the NY Steinway D.

But then, I've never killed a chicken, so... what do I know? Cluck, cluck, brrrrrruck... smile
What about a rooster😅

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Modartt have the entirety of their Pianoteq change log since release here:

https://www.modartt.com/pianoteq#pane_changes

I've been looking this over and their rate of progress and innovation is fairly impressive... steadily adding new instruments, improvements, and new features over the months. Maybe someone could chart this.

The Mistral may indeed be a tipping point for adoption. It will be interesting to see how they navigate the iOS challenges.

Is there any other notable player in the piano world that innovates like this? Perhaps VSL -- they seem to announce a new Bösendorfer every few months.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
I'm back on 7.3 now; don't know what the problem was but it's gone by itself. All my instruments retain their characteristics, most are improved, but the new Petrof to me is the best of the best, particularly when it plays through the P515 speakers. They sound like good 'uns.
But you can't de-tune this too much and widening the unisons affects the upper notes greatly.

"[Linked Image]"
E
EPW Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
See what you folks have done to me. I just purchased the Petrof pack laugh

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Komplete Kontrol S88 MK1 Touchkeys
by Micahjd - 05/16/21 07:26 PM
Piano out of tune?
by TheodorN - 05/16/21 04:10 PM
iOS Pianos on iPad POLL
by RinTin - 05/16/21 01:50 PM
I can quit any time I want to ...
by Retsacnal - 05/16/21 01:42 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,967
Posts3,094,296
Members101,538
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission