2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
92 members (BeeZee4, anotherscott, Andrew E., ambrozy, AWilley, accordeur, alexdavid, 36251, 22 invisible), 1,392 guests, and 594 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Djengis
[...]I feel that I have a difficulty to time for example Fantasie Impromptu by Chopin, with the Yamaha GHS, though I manage it, but I have to use talent to do so.[...]
Why? What are your issues with playing that piece on the GHS action, compared to the Kawai RHIII?
[...]But I wish to have a DGX670 Xx with the keybed of the Mp7se which is fantastic.[...]
Shame on Yamaha for not putting a MIDI-IN port to let you play the DGX-670 from other keyboards.
I still stand by my words: That the overall winner is DGX670.
Yes, I also think oranges are better than apples if you want to make an orange soda. laugh
The reason is to find in the above. Also I wish to say that the socalled ivory touch is an overrated gimmick.

Who has sweaty hands??? I think those are not the average people: I met only one person who had this as an illness. I really don't buy that silly argument: who the heck invented that???
Maybe it depends on the age of the player, the time of the year (season), the humidity level in your room and your predisposition to sweat (which is not the same for everyone). But it's more common than what you think and it's not a disease (unless it is very prominent in every season).
Actually my fingers sit more firmly on the Yamaha keys. They slip more on the Kawai keys.
Maybe you suffer from too dry fingers? grin

B
B
What a completely absurd thread ...

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Too-Dry-Fingers is a real condition and it must be taken seriously!

I suffer from it, so I know what I’m talking about, fingers that are ‘too-dry’, and yes, I’ve tried over-the-counter lube, but the fingers go thru that lube like it was candy, yet the dryness remains.

Right now I’m having trouble writing this because my fingers are so dry that they stick like little geckos onto the keys.

So please, do not call this ‘absurd’ because one day you might wake up with too-dry-fingers, and then it won’t be so absurd, will it?

E
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
E
I'd like to hear some reports from the too-wet-fingers crowd, kawai or yamaha keys. laugh

Last edited by EinLudov; 04/13/21 09:02 AM.
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Everybody (almost) knows that you read between the lines of so called absurd threads to gain knowledge. Religious books are full of what might be termed absudities by many.
Read between the lines, lad. Between the lines! Find the Hidden Wisdom that makes our world go around. . . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
E
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by peterws
Everybody (almost) knows that you read between the lines of so called absurd threads to gain knowledge. Religious books are full of what might be termed absudities by many.
Read between the lines, lad. Between the lines! Find the Hidden Wisdom that makes our world go around. . . . .

So what you're saying is, Atheism, This is the way?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pete14
[...]and yes, I’ve tried over-the-counter lube, but the fingers go thru that lube like it was candy, yet the dryness remains.[...]
So I guess that's the backstory about how you created the famous Candy Lube:

[Linked Image]

You can get light speed playing with your fingers lubed in Candy Lube! And as a bonus the piano keys would taste good! What a tasty slippery fun!

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Yes!

I’m now working on fifty shades of lube, candy lube!

The original -blue- is our best seller, so we figured why not give ‘em another 49 shades of that there blue!

I’m about to go public, so if you’ve been bent over the fence (no pun intended) about investing your hard earned money, here’s the chance of your life!

A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
In all seriousness, DGX670 compared to MOXF8 is like a toy.

The OP never owned a complicated instrument, made a wrong decision buying a stage piano, and he is saying stage pianos are not as arrangers!

He also never tried to learn how to use MOXF and gave up. The stuff you can sequence and arrange on MOXF are far better than DGX670.

Last edited by Abdol; 04/13/21 10:12 AM.

Kawai MP7SE, Yamaha MOTF XF6, Yamaha WX5, Yamaha Pacifica 112v
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by EinLudov

So what you're saying is, Atheism, This is the way?

I'm saying read between the line. There's more to it than meets the eye.
Maybe to some it's pie in the sky.
Maybe it's a life supine.

"[Linked Image]"
Djengis Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Abdol

The OP never owned a complicated instrument, made a wrong decision buying a stage piano, and he is saying stage pianos are not as arrangers!

He also never tried to learn how to use MOXF and gave up. The stuff you can sequence and arrange on MOXF are far better than DGX670.

You crack me up with your black white thinking. Did you own the Moxf8? You had the motif I think you said. I don't think it is easy to find anything more complicated and non user friendly than the moxf8. The only thing making it tolerable would be for the motif owners, for who's fault that bad layout was maintained.

So trust me I know how to use, it but it was completely unorganised and without a meaningful working flow plus the manual was the worst I ever saw.
I never had a synth before that (apart from synth sounds of the Cp5), but that was a lot of wasted time on finding well hidden functions.

If you like wasting your time and are proud about being a tech focused geek, that is your choice, but spare me from your generalising commentaries and respect the true musicians who don't seek any pride in being a nasty judgmental gear geek.

Last edited by Djengis; 04/14/21 11:33 AM.
J
J
Absurdities aside, I find it interesting how subjectively different people's experience of actions is. I grew up playing an old Bluthner upright with extremely light, fast action and an old Steinway Model M which I would consider more balanced and wonderfully controllable. When I auditioned a lot of digital pianos a few years ago having spent some time on the Steinway for reference, the only ones that played anything like real pianos to my fingers were the top-end Roland (RD800 or 700NX?) and the Kawai MP6 (no MP10/11 to try then). But, they each felt heavier and more fatiguing than my acoustic pianos - more like the modern pianos in schools (eg 'Knight' here in the UK) rather than the fine response of the older instruments. Every Yamaha I have ever played felt like sluggish mush to my fingers, and I'd include my very limited experience of the acoustics in that. I currently have a CP50 and it's slow going!

Anyway, I wonder if and how 'fashions' for acoustic actions have changed over time? I have barely touched full concert sized pianos, but my one go on a bigger Steinway felt and sounded similar to my little M. I would LOVE a digital that had the same feel as that M - maybe I do need to try the MP11se?! I have an inkling it would feel heavier, though.

As to sliding fingers, wet or dry, unfortunately nothing beats actual ebony and ivory - though the textured keys are better than nothing. Maybe rip the tops off an old junk piano and stick them on a VPC1!

E
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
E
Japan is actually quite notorious for designing bad machine UI.

A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A

You crack me up with your black white thinking. Did you own the Moxf8? You had the motif I think you said. I don't think it is easy to find anything more complicated and non user friendly than the moxf8. The only thing making it tolerable would be for the motif owners, for who's fault that bad layout was maintained.

So trust me I know how to use, it but it was completely unorganised and without a meaningful working flow plus the manual was the worst I ever saw.
I never had a synth before that (apart from synth sounds of the Cp5), but that was a lot of wasted time on finding well hidden functions.

If you like wasting your time and are proud about being a tech focused geek, that is your choice, but spare me from your generalising commentaries and respect the true musicians who don't seek any pride in being a nasty judgmental gear geek.

Sorry but you're very wrong. I had a MOX6 and upgraded to MOTIF XF because MOX couldn't address my needs.

It's not for everyone. If you couldn't learn/use it, many like me can and demand even more. Samplers don't have anything techy about them.

Also, I never wasted my time. I'm fine with both creating/improving voices and sequencing my own patterns.

One thing you don't know is that these styles are all templates. If you know how to operate your machine, you can make far better ones.

So we get to this point where I have to say, your statement reminds me of finding the stupid problem:

I don't think Yamaha is stupid by making these instruments. MOTIF and Montage etc sell pretty well and the workflow actually has a logic behind it. Now you go and find the stupid.

Kawai MP7SE, Yamaha MOTF XF6, Yamaha WX5, Yamaha Pacifica 112v
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member

Sorry but you're very wrong. I had a MOX6 and upgraded to MOTIF XF because MOX couldn't address my needs.

It's not for everyone. If you couldn't learn/use it, many like me can and demand even more. Samplers don't have anything techy about them.

Also, I never wasted my time. I'm fine with both creating/improving voices and sequencing my own patterns.

One thing you don't know is that these styles are all templates. If you know how to operate your machine, you can make far better ones.

So we get to this point where I have to say, your statement reminds me of finding the stupid problem:

I don't think Yamaha is stupid by making these instruments. MOTIF and Montage etc sell pretty well and the workflow actually has a logic behind it. Now you go and find the stupid.

Abdol! You condition is by all accounts treatable. There are other colours than black and white you know.

"[Linked Image]"
E
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
E
Abdol! You condition is by all accounts treatable. There are other colours than black and white you know.

peter, abdol doesn't seem to care about digital pianos, his condition is that he likes the sound of his own voice the most.

Last edited by EinLudov; 04/14/21 01:16 PM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Japan is actually quite notorious for designing bad machine UI.

I don't understand; how do you mean?

A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G. K. Chesterton
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member

peter, abdol doesn't seem to care about digital pianos, his condition is that he likes the sound of his own voice the most.

Hmmm. What medical condition might that be then? Aurala Borealitis?

"[Linked Image]"
E
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
E
Hmmm. What medical condition might that be then? Aurala Borealitis?

I'm sure he doesn't mean any harm, but heck, if abdol cuts his voice into a vst, I'd buy it and unleash it upon my enemies.

S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
I've played the DGX keyboards. The sounds certainly are reasonably high quality. The action is not very responsive. I was not able to play the repeated notes in the 2nd theme of the Eb Grande Valse Brillante reliably.

While it is fine for a variety of musical styles, and I even considered buying one to use as a travel keyboard, I would not use the keyboard for a public performance for three reasons:

1) I don't think the action is engineered for heavy usage, and a failure during a gig would be especially problematic.

2) The only line output is the headphone output which, when amplified, will amplify the noise of the headphone output stage.

3) Getting a sufficient gain from the output so that the reinforced sound by the performance sound system fills the performance space may lead to clipping at the headphone output stage. Sending clipped output to a downstream sound system is undesirable.

I personally heard the cringe-worthy results of 2 and 3 at a wedding reception where a relative of the bride brought a similar Yamaha keyboard that was routed into the PA system being used for music/dance so that the relative could play a few pieces for the young couple. The owner of the PAs was lucky to get out of there with tweeters intact.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
Our Fall 2021 Free Newsletter is Out , see it here!
---------------------
Selling my Hammond & Leslie!
---------------------
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Chord repertoire?
by Visalia - 10/17/21 03:47 PM
50% off campaign on one Spitfire Audio product (Ends soon)
by clothearednincompo - 10/17/21 12:59 PM
Piano moving questions
by Twindad - 10/17/21 12:48 PM
Ableton Live (Pianoteq+Mic) for online lesson Zoom
by TonyDIGITAL - 10/17/21 11:25 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,634
Posts3,140,351
Members103,030
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission