2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
75 members (anotherscott, 36251, Bernard40, accordeur, butchkoch, Bill McKaig,RPT, 20 invisible), 448 guests, and 599 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

6000 Post Club Member
Several recent threads mention the shortage of pianos available in the market right now. People are saying the shortage is due to increased demand and long restocking times. I stopped by Guitar Center the other day, and was surprised to see the shelves pretty bare, as you can see from the photos below.

I asked one of the sales guys about it, and he offered up the same rationales: most instruments are coming from overseas, and there’s a supply chain backlog. Factories had shut down due to Covid.

FWIW, GC just went through a chapter 11 reorg, and related reports say that it was the first part of the “Covid year” that sort of crushed them. Stores closed and they were unable to service a huge debt. But apparently there was an upturn later, as stores reopened and were able to service pent up demand. (At least that’s my one paragraph summary).

You can see the the shelves are pretty bare. The acoustic guitar room usually has upper, middle and lower rows full of guitars hanging on the walls, and also along the beams on the ceiling, but on this day it was probably not even at 1/4 capacity. The electric guitar wall also usually has three full rows, and was probably 2/3 empty.

Anyway, to keep this on a piano track, the keyboard room looked pretty normal, but I didn’t go in because I didn’t want to mess with all the sanitizing stuff, and I didn’t want anyone to have to clean up after me (I was there just to grab some guitar strings and a guitar stand). But I suspect they keep floor models out, and boxed keyboards in a store room (which, if it’s anything like the guitar displays, is probably nearly empty).

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

How to Upload Pictures
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
I don't know about guitars but for pianos some of the shortage/wait is because some manufacturers reduced production when the pandemic began because they thought 2020 would be a lousy year for piano sales. They turned out to be wrong.

E
Online Content
E
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
I don't know about guitars but for pianos some of the shortage/wait is because some manufacturers reduced production when the pandemic began because they thought 2020 would be a lousy year for piano sales. They turned out to be wrong.

That's framing it incorrectly. Every year since the 1920s had been a lousy year for piano. They thought this year was going to be lousier than a lousy year, it turned out slightly less lousy, but with the shipping constraints and 6-9 months port delays going forward, Still lousy. grin

Last edited by EinLudov; 04/12/21 08:10 PM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by EinLudov
That's framing it incorrectly. Every year since the 1920s had been a lousy year for piano. They thought this year was going to be lousier than a lousy year, it turned out slightly less lousy, but with the shipping constraints and 6-9 months port delays going forward, Still lousy. grin

So that period in the 80s when Yamaha was cranking out well over 200,000 pianos a year were what, exactly?

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
E
Online Content
E
Originally Posted by terminaldegree
So that period in the 80s when Yamaha was cranking out well over 200,000 pianos a year were what, exactly?

The fall of giants. Cinematically slow, but a scene of gruesome demise nonetheless. grin

Last edited by EinLudov; 04/12/21 08:28 PM.
Guitar Center was saddled with debt when Bain Capital (Mitt Romney) took them over in 2007. They have never recovered.

Guitar Center - Bain Capital

Online Content
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

What I wrote was based on a conversation with a major industry insider and his exact phrasing. And it definitely wasn't "slightly less lousy". 2020 was a significant improvement over 2019 and was industry wide. The OPs question was about why pianos seem scarce now and there is often a several month wait to get the piano you want. My reply gave one of the main reasons.

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

6000 Post Club Member

Piano sales remained strong right up until 1980. That’s when the trend changed. Look at the two graphs in this first post of this thread:

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2347483/what-happened-in-1980.html

How to Upload Pictures
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
No backcheck?
by chopin_r_us - 05/11/21 03:39 PM
Need Power Mosfets for piano audio amplifier
by Daniel_64 - 05/11/21 02:44 PM
Famous Lullabies?
by Relaxing_Music - 05/11/21 02:13 PM
Steinway upright plate markings?
by pwl - 05/11/21 02:10 PM
R. S. Williams Pianos
by John15342 - 05/11/21 01:28 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,864
Posts3,092,318
Members101,481
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission