2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
33 members (antune, chronos1701, Damien PG, bluebilly, bilb, CyberGene, 10 invisible), 977 guests, and 528 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
meghdad Offline OP
OP Offline
[Linked Image]
marycrest manor

This is a beginner piece as you can see, however I can't seem to play it with correct dynamics and nuances using my 2-sensor Korg C1 piano. Admittedly I'm still improving my technique and my control, but I wanted to know if others have had difficulty keeping the chord quieter than the melody line and particularly controlling the legato in the first bar the sol key. When I release the key, it breaks the legato and if I don't release it, I can't seem to hit the note again.

Summary: I'm not sure if it's my weak technique or my weak piano.

Last edited by meghdad; 04/12/21 12:43 PM.

Pianoteq + Korg C1.

I shall be "thankful" for this decent alternative to an upright piano. Hallelujah.
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
“Can you 2-sensor DP owners play....”;

Why such a condescending tone toward 2-sensor DP owners?

You know, I was once looked down-on by three-sensor owners, so I know how it feels. It turns out I’m now a three-sensor DP owner myself and I would never be condescending towards them ‘2-owners’ because, once again, I know how it feels!

I can only imagine how you would treat the 1-sensor owners; shame on you!

meghdad Offline OP
OP Offline
LOL I bow down to you my 3-sensored lord. :p I wish I had one of your sensors!

Pianoteq + Korg C1.

I shall be "thankful" for this decent alternative to an upright piano. Hallelujah.
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
blush

You guys must have Extra-Sensory-Perception.

ESP

Casio PX-S3000
Nope, no issues with it at all.
Took lessons from 1960 to 1969, stopped at age 16.
Started again in July 2020 at age 67. Lots more fun now!
E
EPW Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
meghdad I would tend to think it is your technique more then the Korg DP. You just have to take it slow and really hunker down practicing when this happens to you.

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
E
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
E
Make a video. laugh

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by trooplewis
You guys must have Extra-Sensory-Perception.

ESP

Jeff Bezos has this ‘ESP’ you talk about:

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by EPW
meghdad I would tend to think it is your technique more then the Korg DP. You just have to take it slow and really hunker down practicing when this happens to you.

+1 to this.

if you believe your technique is fine, then I can think of -

- Unless you're playing at a very high tempo (>160 maybe) those notes should be quite easy to repeat on a piano with no escapement. I'm thinking "comodo" means somewhat around "walking speed" so a normal tempo could be used and the piece reproduced well on the Korg.

- If you are playing at a normal tempo, then maybe the touch setting?

Bottom line - I don't think this is a 2-sensor DP key action issue. The Korg you have is a good one.

Last edited by mmathew; 04/12/21 02:49 PM.

A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G. K. Chesterton
S
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
S
Why do you think it is legato....it says "dolce" in the score, that is not necessarily legato.
The arcs above the melody line indicate the phrasing.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
The two-sensor vs. three-sensor issue is related to repetition. That won't be an issue with this piece. As EPW said above ...
Originally Posted by EPW
I would tend to think it is your technique more than the Korg DP.

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
The concept of "walking" is useful here. It suggests an easy, comfortable tempo, AND, perhaps some help in mastering the legato required.

If you are attempting to get to a state of legato, by coming from detached or staccato playing and incrementally drawing closer and closer to the point that the notes become legato, I think you can introduce a lot of tension in your hands and arms trying to reach that point while simultaneously trying not to overshoot that point. This tension can make the rest of your goals (dynamics and nuances) difficult to attain.

Try coming to the point of legato from the other extreme. Play those left hand chords with a gentle rocking motion from 3&5 to Thumb to 3&5 etc., and OVERlegato them. Allow the 3&5 to overlap the thumb somewhat just so you can focus on the rocking movement. Ignore the overlap until you get that gentle rocking sensation down.

Once you get the rocking down, start reducing the amount of the overlap until you reach the legato that you like.

It's like walking, you don't lift the rear foot to pull it forward until just after the other foot touches down on the ground in front of you.

Something else that might be helpful is, if you have a digital piano, turn it off and practice the rocking motion while just listening to the keys bottoming out and feeling the keys bottoming out. Change the direction of the rocking after you hear and feel the landing of the other fingers/thumb. Apply slight finger motion to make the fine adjustments.

Last edited by Ralphiano; 04/12/21 03:26 PM.

Ralph

Kawai VPC1
Garritan CFX
Pianist since April, 2015
T
T
Originally Posted by swiss_boy
Why do you think it is legato....it says "dolce" in the score, that is not necessarily legato.

The piece should be played legato. The slurs indicate that the corresponding phrases should be played legato. For the comping they wrote explicitly legato.

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
First off, the piece ‘may’ be played legato; it’s simply a suggestion/guideline and not a rule that ‘must’ be obeyed or else!

E
EPW Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Pete14
First off, the piece ‘may’ be played legato; it’s simply a suggestion/guideline and not a rule that ‘must’ be obeyed or else!

I know this is from another thread but how would the "Monks" play it?

I agree that usually the markings are more of a suggestion and not an iron-clad rule smile

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P

Second off, I don’t care if it says dolce & gabbana because this means nothing in the real world.

This terminology: legato, shmegato, dolce, agitato ma non molto are at best guidelines and at worst a way of making simplicity appear sophisticated!

Ask Bach if he gave two $hits about shmegato; newsflash, he didn’t.

And please don’t lecture me on how the harpsichord is not suitable for these markings because Bach didn’t even indicate tempo markings because guess what, the music itself will tell you all you need to know about dynamics, tempo, and overall interpretation.

But the Romantics had to show up with all their drama, “calmato”; “shmegato”; “morendo a’ la fin”; “allegro con fuoco”; “appassionato”; “lento ma non tropo”, etc....

What does that even mean, allegro con fuoco? Am I supposed to set the score on fire?

U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
I have a 3 sensor vpc-1 and a 2 sensor yamaha cp33, and while the vpc-1 feels nicer to play because of the differences in mechanics, I can't say I notice anything lacking in sensing dynamics on the cp33. It plays fine to me, and allows me to play dynamically.

C
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
C
Well, on a dual sensor action there will be a "note off" event before a new "note on" event is possible, so yes -- it's has such a limitation.

But shouldn't "legato" here just mean as small gaps as possible or as connected notes as possible? No need to try the impossible.

And looks like alternating fingers are recommended for note repetition. But as usual fingerings are just suggestions.

(And as usual: I'm not a real pianist, so what do I know...)

E
EPW Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
What does that even mean, allegro con fuoco? Am I supposed to set the score on fire?

I think you are to put it in a smoker for several hours shocked

S
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by Thomas B

The piece should be played legato. The slurs indicate that the corresponding phrases should be played legato. For the comping they wrote explicitly legato.

...but the legato indication is for the left hand only, the right hand is supposed to play dolce (soft, with sweetness).
In the first 4 bars of the second line this is swapped between the hands, like also the melody/accompaniment, just to come back to the original setup for the last 4 bars.
Of course you can play it the way you like. However the intention of this little exercice is to always have separate/independent tasks for left and right hand in terms of musical expression.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Forgotten gems in the ABF recital Index
by KevinM - 06/19/21 05:25 AM
Nocturne Sounds developing new upright VI
by newer player - 06/19/21 01:50 AM
Roland fp-30X vs fp30 keybed noise level
by netcom61 - 06/19/21 01:40 AM
Scriabin and Rachmaninoff on the Yamaha S7X.
by Sonepica - 06/19/21 12:57 AM
SOS I’m Feeling Scattered
by PianogrlNW - 06/19/21 12:10 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,596
Posts3,105,054
Members101,852
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission