2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
55 members (brdwyguy, CyberGene, beeboss, BachToTheFuture, Alex Hutor, Calavera, clothearednincompo, 36251, 8 invisible), 555 guests, and 562 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
OP Offline
C
Does this look like a rolled soundboard issue happening or about to happen? Piano is for sale. Its sound is something really special. It's got several soundboard separations that run the length of the soundboard that I'm trying to overlook, but this one that runs under the soundboard is worrying me. I'm not a tech, by the way. I can't tell if the crack breaks over a couple of grains or if that's a glue seam that has separated. Again, I'm not a tech. I'm working with a broker. I flew to an adjacent, dry state yesterday to play the piano. A lot to like about this piano, but I don't want to buy an impending problem. Thank you. [img]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Qz4BB7FWnOayISNIYkCvyPGdeXsJmwjR/view?usp=sharing[/img]

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
C
OP Offline
C
If you're interested, here are a few other photos of the soundboard where you can see the other separations.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/156jfZRvE-fvLbNGXjLJ3ntlYxzM82wwF/view?usp=sharing,
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GA8I2AKhoKYPRYkbgFsjwoV2vZkigSvi/view?usp=sharing,
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SQxQNHE3cDXTFs5l-GjO8xOGDaucTIAT/view?usp=sharing

I'm pretty convinced from research that the other separations are acceptable and that I can live with them without worry. The bass bridge one, though, is the hang up. I don't want to let this get away if I don't have anything to worry about.

Last edited by Cristofori; 04/12/21 12:32 PM.
W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
Cristofori, it is likely that the other cracks are inconsequential. Inspection of the soundboard panel - rib interface will show whether or not the panel is lifting away from the ribs. My guess it that those cracks are not of a concern

The one under the bass bridge does concern me. I believe that the crack is much longer and is also the crack running under the R in Bluthner. If you follow the crack and the grain orientation, your will see that the crack runs under the bridge in the area where your area of concern is. The crack on the R side is barely open, the crack on the other side of the bridge is much more open. Right where the crack goes under the bridge, we see what looks to be a vertical chip of finish that is still attached the panel, but appears to have moved away from the vertical front part of the bridge. That suggests that the bridge and the front part of the panel are moving independently of each other. If the bridge is rolling, one side of the crack will be higher than the other. We cannot tell if that is the case. If I were the tech you hired, I would be looking at the area under the bass bridge from below with a strong light to see if the panel is lifting.

A tech with a strong knowledge of soundboards should examine the piano for you prior to a purchase.

fine grand piano custom rebuilding, piano technician and tuner
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Although the cracks may yet be causing a tonal issue, they do indicate a problem is developing. Could indicate that the piano was not taken care of properly through seasonal changes. Could indicate a factory "bad install" that took a while to show.
On a couple Bluthners i have examined, the rib scale was on the light side, if the downbearing is too heavy, that may also be a reason the cracks have developed.

Use the cracks to negotiate a great deal if you like the piano.

-chris

Chernobieff Piano Restorations
"Where Tone is Key"
Lenoir City, Tennessee U.S.A
www.chernobieffpiano.com
grandpianoman@protonmail.com
Bronze Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
I believe this is a Blüthner Model 11. Forgive me being nosey, but did you like this because it is so small?
Ian

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
C
OP Offline
C
It's a Model 4, 6'10. I guess size is relative, but that's a big piano for me, not a small one.

Bronze Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Cristofori
It's a Model 4, 6'10. I guess size is relative, but that's a big piano for me, not a small one.
I guessed it was a Model 11, because larger Blüthner grands have aliquot strings in the top three octaves. I guess your photo does not show that far up.
Ian

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
A fascinating analysis of Debussy's Ondine
by pianoloverus - 05/17/21 07:47 AM
SimpleSamSample vs original recording
by pold - 05/17/21 07:26 AM
Piano methods without set hand positions
by Kewner - 05/17/21 07:06 AM
new monitors for my mp11
by euphoria - 05/17/21 06:54 AM
Antique Seiler?
by Yojimbo - 05/17/21 06:26 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,982
Posts3,094,427
Members101,540
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission