2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, 4 invisible), 1,228 guests, and 291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 270 of 302 1 2 268 269 270 271 272 301 302
F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by Gombessa
[quote=Falsch]Dangerous stuff that... at some point, a pencil inside the piano could do serious damage.
With that said, there are not a lot of places for these objects to go. The motion of the keys behind the fallboard is extremely slight, they barely move or wobble at all. It's not like they're bouncing around back there and leaping into the action mechanism. I think most of the time, pencils and pens just get lost and sit back there unnoticed for months/years until the next time the tuner comes around.

You're wrong... those keys have LOTS of motion, according to this demonstration:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x39zrqc

Last edited by Falsch; 04/12/21 12:26 PM.

Kawai Novus NV-10 | Pianoteq 7
(Kremsegg 1 & 2, Ruckers II, Karsten, KIVIR, Steinway D, K2)
Intel NUC J5040, 8GB, SSD | iPad Pro 12.9 2018 | forScore
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by mmathew
Are there some aspects of grand piano design that takes into consideration that items could accidentally fall into the body? You have explained why it's not a big deal. I'm wondering if piano makers, original designers had been thinking of this when they design & build.

The traditional fallboard design of a grand is pretty much made to catch ANYTHING narrow/thin enough that falls off the front of the piano, especially pencils/pens and the like. What's more, the fallboard normally has a curved shape that sends objects as far back into the action as possible smile

Just look at the size of the gap when the fallboard is up:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IMO, this comes down to one of those time-honored tradition vs. change arguments. Soft fall fallboard? Poo, I never seen no kid smash his fingers, so this is useless. Soft fall lid? No one in my family ever accidentally dropped the 80lb lid onto the rim, so it's not a problem. A fallboard design that doesn't suck in pencils and pens? But how else will the piano feed?

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
D
dng Offline
D
you would think all AP makers would make it easier to remove the fallboard, but my AP requires removing the key slip and cheek blocks first. Found papers, pencils, ruler in there after a decade of not checking

probably a good reason to have a regular tune anyway. maybe that's what makers are expecting in terms of regular maintenance!

Last edited by dng; 04/12/21 12:39 PM.
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by dng
you would think all AP makers would make it easier to remove the fallboard, but my AP requires removing the key slip and cheek blocks first. Found papers, pencils, ruler in there after a decade of not checking

Ah yes, I remember seeing that on Steinways before. The NV-10 (and a lot of other grands) just let you lift the fallboard straight out.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Reminds me how I decided to “fix” the potentially falling fallboard on my N1X and I didn’t know I could just lift and pull it, and instead I disassembled almost the entire piano 🤣

Last edited by CyberGene; 04/12/21 01:36 PM.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Falsch
I've been working on exactly the same thing.

We "invented" the same setup (with the difference that you run PT on Linux + VNC, and I run it on Windows + RDP), and now we're basically inventing the same control system. I came to it because the Rucker's Harpsichord has this built in: when using the three lowest nodes, it switches registers: lower, upper, both. (There's no sound in the lowest octave in this harpsichord, if you use it in 'authentic mode'; you can extend it by using "extended mode", but then the register switch obviously doesn't work anymore.)
Originally Posted by navindra
My preferred presets are mapped to the white keys in the Middle-C octave... and the MIDI sequencer controls are mapped to the black keys. Pianoteq records everything forever, so it's fantastic being able to play back my latest recording on the spot!

Nice! What mapping did you come up with?

I skimmed the Yamaha N1X manual for inspiration, but wow, I didn't find anything remotely usable there. To be fair, I suppose it's because primary functions are on the dedicated panel and they use the keyboard for tweaking or more advanced options. Menu digging isn't so terribly worse in that light.

I suppose it's pretty nice that we can come up with whatever custom scheme works the best, based on individual taste, and this can evolve over time.

It would have been nice if the soft/sostenuto pedals were continuous just like the sustain pedal... then I would have mapped them to... pitch bend!

F
F
Originally Posted by Gombessa
Rmnd, congrats to you as well!

Originally Posted by frosas
All of these are personal opinions influenced by particular tastes. The N2 is actually a very good instrument which I enjoyed for 10 years. The sound over speakers was fine and I did like the TRS effect. Sound over headphones was poor. And in fact I prefer the NV10 over the N2, because for me the action has more relevance than other factors. For the matter of sound I also have Pianoteq and a pair of Neumann monitors. But the sound of the NV10 is actually a very good one.

Last year I tried an N1X and I found it excellent. The choice is very difficult between N1X and NV10. It depens on how do you prioritize the different attributes. I imagine that N3X is better than N1X and I am sure it is a very enjoyable instrument to play.

Frosas, thanks for your thoughtful comparisons between these instruments, it's great to see more hands on experience between them. Hopefully your NV-10 will endure for the next decade as long as your N2 did smile

Sure it will! I really like this toy.

Kawai NV10, Kawai MP7SE, Nord Electro 6D, Pianoteq 7 (Steinway D, Bechstein, Electric)
F
F
Originally Posted by Pete14
Admit it, you immediately felt that the N1X was better than the N2, admit it! cry

Oh no, actually I made the decision after I tried the N1X. Although the N1X is a wonderful instrument, the NV10 made a better impression to me. Again, it is personal. I know that there are many who prefer the N1X.

Kawai NV10, Kawai MP7SE, Nord Electro 6D, Pianoteq 7 (Steinway D, Bechstein, Electric)
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Nice try, frosas!

A clever deflection by pretending not to understand the question; a common tactic employed to avoid implication.

I will then proceed to reframe my question:

Did you or did you not prefer the N1X over the N2?

I have no further questions!

E
EPW Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
Frosas takes the fifth

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by navindra
[quote=Falsch]
Nice! What mapping did you come up with?

It's not set in stone yet, but I do roughly the same thing as you. Some presets on the middle keys (harpsichords and historical piano's), with the Ruckers II registers where they've always been. I'm still jacking around with it.

pitch bend!

You wouldn't! (If I remember correctly, the MP7 could do it; that thing could do almost any effect on any sound.)

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by EPW
Frosas takes the fifth

Are you sure this is a good strategy, EPW, not allowing your client to testify?

This will not play well with the jury, so as a colleague I suggest you reconsider having frosas take the fifth!

It’s a simple -yes or no- question:

Is the N1X hands-down better than the N2? wink

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

** some voices are heard from the observing audience **

Yes!

** voices grow in number **

(Resounding) Yes!

** people stand up and are now shouting approvals **

** Judge calls courtroom to order, and asks the defense to stick to the case at hand. **

A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G. K. Chesterton
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P

Yes!

(Resounding) Yes!

** Judge calls courtroom to order, and asks the defense to stick to the case at hand. **
I rest my case!

F
F

Yes!

(Resounding) Yes!

I rest my case!

Yes of course the N1X is better than N2! No doubt about that.

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Hallelujah!

Finally, a former N2 owner admits it: the N1X is better than the N2!

If nothing else comes true from my bucket list, I will still die a happy man knowing that I was right all along.

And about you, frosas, I commend you on your bravery to finally come around the bend to tell the truth. I apologize if my line of questioning seemed a bit aggressive, but as my deceased grandpa always said to me:

“Pete, you’ll never get around the bend by being passive; you must take that bend by force if needed, or you will spend the rest of your life wondering what lurked around the bend”.

F
F
Hallelujah!

If nothing else comes true from my bucket list, I will still die a happy man knowing that I was right all along.

And about you, frosas, I commend you on your bravery to finally come around the bend to tell the truth. I apologize if my line of questioning seemed a bit aggressive, but as my deceased grandpa always said to me:

“Pete, you’ll never get around the bend by being passive; you must take that bend by force if needed, or you will spend the rest of your life wondering what lurked around the bend”.

No worries Pete actually I enjoy these posts! :-)

F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
As soon as Pete14 makes a serious post anywhere on PianoWorld, I'll probably order a steak and wine to celebrate it cool

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
If this happens I'll probably keel over and die.
Originally Posted by Falsch
As soon as Pete14 makes a serious post anywhere on PianoWorld, I'll probably order a steak and wine to celebrate it cool

Z
Z
Hallelujah!

I feel sorry for Pete14.
For years and years he was saving to buy his absolute dream piano, the Yamaha AvantGrand N2. Finally he had the money and was about to order his most wanted instrument, when disaster struck.

His wife left him for his piano tuner. And not only that, she kept the house they both lived in, all the saved money, and poor Pete14 had to settle in a van down by the river. That shattered his dreams completely. No wife, no money, not even the space for an AvantGrand N2, if he had the money.

So poor fellow Pete14 bought a Yamaha P 515. Not a bad piano of course but compared to the top notch AvantGrand N2, nothing but a toy piano.

From that moment on a pretty dark aspect of his personality surfaced. Each time someone on Piano World talked about the N2 and praised their beloved instruments, Pete14 became overwhelmed with anger and jealousy, and felt compelled to start criticizing the N2 on any occasion. “It was a ten-year old lemon!”. He raved at Yamaha and even called out for a boycott of the instrument. Then he even started to put pressure on former owners of the N2 to talk negative about their instrument. It’s almost pathetic.

But that’s life. It has winners and losers. In the mean time I enjoy playing my Yamaha AvantGrand N2 every day. Excellent instrument!
But I do feel sorry for Pete14.

Yamaha AvantGrand N2.
Sennheiser HD 598 SE - Sennheiser IE 80.
Page 270 of 302 1 2 268 269 270 271 272 301 302

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission