2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (36251, Colin Miles, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, ChickenBrother, 9 invisible), 2,074 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
OP Offline
P
I live in southwestern CT, and I have already been to the piano stores near us. Multiple times. And also a few of the dealers on long Island.
Two of the CT dealers had used Estonia 168 pianos. But while we were waffling, both of those pianos recently sold.

As luck would have it I have to drive into Manhattan tomorrow morning. And I'm thinking of going to a piano dealer on the way home.
I could hit the stores on 56th street.
Or I can go to altenberg in NJ. It's out of my way. But a lot less out of my way than making a special trip there. They have a few used Forster pianos I'd like to look at, although realistically those are probably above my budget.

Suggestions on where to go?

Thanks!

2011 Estonia L190
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Have you considered piano stores in MA? Longer ride, but there are many around Boston.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something. (falsely attributed to Plato)
Vlad,
Adult beginner

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member
Online Content

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by VladK
Have you considered piano stores in MA? Longer ride, but there are many around Boston.

The last time I was in the Boston area I was surprised at how many piano stores I saw!

I don’t know the NY market, but if I were going I’d want to check out Beethoven’s, but only because I’ve read so much about it.

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by VladK
Thanks. I won't rule out the possibility in the future. But I'm in NYC today.

2011 Estonia L190
N
N
Cantabile. Luis is very good and nice selection

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Piano Row is on 58th Street, not 56th. Beethoven and Faust Harrison are there. Klavierhaus is also in Manhattan but you'll have to check out the address since they're no longer on Piano Row. Steinway Hall is on the 6th Avenue somewhere in the 40's. Since you may not have time to visit several of them I suggest you call to find out how many pianos they have in whatever price range and type you're interested in. Some or all may be by appointment only.

T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
I trust you've visited Allegro in CT.

Also Faust Harrison in NYC and White Plains (and other locations). Beethoven Pianos in NYC. Forte in Paramus. Lindeblad in Pine Brook, NJ, for rebuilt S&S. I've never been to Adams Pianos in Highland, NY, but they always seem to have a decent selection of reasonably priced used pianos on Craigslist.

L
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
L
Another vote for Forte piano in Paramus.

Knowledgeable, very friendly and helpful folks in there.

Last edited by Learux; 04/12/21 11:33 AM.

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400

2006 August Förster 215
P
OP Offline
P
Hi guys
I decided to stick with my original plan, and I went to Altenberg. It was the opposite direction of home, so a bit out of my way. But I was interested in checking out the August Forster pianos they have on display. Since I was so close today, this was a good opportunity. I'm really glad I made the trip. What a great store.
Not as big as Allegro or Faust. But a beautiful selection.

The August Forster pianos were very impressive. No surprises there. Nice clear treble. Bright but not at all shrill. And the bass. OMG! Not heavy like a Steinway or Mason. But it was clear and articulate. I've never heard bass like that before. At least not out of a piano under 8'. (The 8' Bosendorfer we played last week is the closest analog.)

He also has a Boston 193 which fits nicely in my budget and checks all the boxes of what I'm looking for. And I would have liked it a whole lot better if I hadn't just played the Forster!

I have an appointment to check out an Estonia on Friday... I know they are terrific pianos. But after playing this Forster it's going to be hard to be impressed.

Altenberg also has a fully rebuilt Mason AA. That was an amazing piano too. He had it done in a high gloss finish which is not period correct, but looks fantastic. I really liked it, although I do prefer the Forster.

2011 Estonia L190

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission